Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 29-09-2012, 09:14   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin
Re: Going Solar- Know nothing

Thanks for the all of the input. I haven't had time to calculate my estimated usage yet, but we are not power hogs. We live on the hook for weekends with no problem on our 39' sailboat.
Some have mentioned the power consumption of trawlers and motoryachts as generally being high. Unfortunately, some are rediculouly high, mine being one of them. It seems that most motoryachts and house boats are designed for living at the dock or on generators given the electric range and electric hot water heaters, etc. We will be replacing mine with propane. I will be using the instant-on type of gas hot water heaters. I had propane on most of my sailboats so I am familiar with the risks and the preventive measures. The only propane fires I ever hear about are in FEMA trailers - go figya.
I would be happy if I could live on the hook for 4 days without having to fire up the Generator. The reality is that in hot weather we will probably have to use the gen for several hours, but hopefully not. We are getting older, correction we are older, and the admiral will be wanting the modern conviences more often. We will be doing a lot of north/south cruising and so we will be experiencing more spring and fall like weather than if we stayed in one place.
If we have to use the generator on a regular basis, the gasoline would eat up our cruising budget. We plan on being perpetual vagabonds.

As Johnny Carson used to say "Keep those cards and letters coming".
Thanks again

Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2012, 09:27   #17

Boat: Outremer 50S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewaters2812 View Post
I am also wondering whether 800watts of solar panels will be sufficient to negate the need to run a generator? ... with all the bells and whistles without having to regularly run the generator?
Bluewaters,

What it boils down to (pun not originally intended) is what are the "bells and whistles"? 800W of solar, along with the batteries to store it, is likely enough to run almost all the things most sailboats consider "bells and whistles". Where it falls apart is in the heating/cooling department, these are all very energy intensive. So, if your "bells and whistles" include air conditioning, electric cooker/microwave, or electric hot water then the answer changes from "most likely enough" to "requires more evaluation, not looking promising at first glance".

Old 29-09-2012, 09:40   #18
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carraiadimare View Post
..........If you are interested I can send a foto of them. Otherwise just check at www.asseaboat.com.
Sorry for my English, I'm from Italy and actually writing from Florence.
I see you are on your Post #1. Welcome to the forum.
Yes I would like some photos, thank you. As for your English, your post is probably more grammatically correct than many native born Americans.

As a side note, my wife developed a degenerative lung disorder this past year. I was working offshore on my normal job and had a moment of weakness. I called her up and told her to pick 'the vacation of a lifetime', go anywhere and do anything she wanted. That was my first mistake. I was thinking like Polynesia or New Guinea --oops sorry . Anyway, I call back the next day to see what she came up with. She asked me what kind of budget she had - I quickly blurted out a number. That was big mistake No. 2. Anyway, I called her back the next day and asked if she had come up with anything yet. She said "Italy". I said "What?". Well there goes the exotic jungles. Gone in a flash. She said that she always wanted to go there. That was news to me. I asked her "how come". She said that it is a great place with a great heritage and I fully agreed and she also wanted to look up my ancestors even though I don't know any of them.
Anyway, next April we will be off to Italy for about 3 weeks or so - until we run out of money. We will start off probably in Florence and work out way south. Then on down to Sicily and look up my ancestors. I told her when we are looking them up we have to be careful who we ask.

Regards
Old 29-09-2012, 11:43   #19

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Tony. if I remember the Loop weather in the summer time, Ya are gonna be running the genny a LOT LOL so maybe the guy's who say a better battery charger, and a good inverter/Maybe? It's been a few yrs since we did some of the loop but it was almost as hot as Louisiana LOL and just as muggy !! what ya think ??
Old 29-09-2012, 12:21   #20
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
Tony. if I remember the Loop weather in the summer time, Ya are gonna be running the genny a LOT ..... it was almost as hot as Louisiana LOL and just as muggy !! what ya think ??
You are 100% right. I dont think I can carry enough batteries for the AC. I was going along the lines that other than summer, I will experience several months of extra springtime and fall. At the cost of running the generator, I wouldn't it would take long to pay off the solar instead. To answer your question of "what ya think?", taking that one step further, if I 'think' I am certainly heading for trouble that is why I try to avoid thinking

BTW, did you get your survey yet? Is your boat still in Kemah? If so, what marina?
I keep my 39 Allied ketch in WHM and my Mainship 36 at Blue Dolphin across the bridge. I now own 2 boats at the same time. That is the result of my 'thinking'.
I am flying out of Galliano these days. I can almost swim across the bayou to your place.
Old 18-10-2012, 18:25   #21

Boat: Bayliner Victoria 2750
Send a message via Yahoo to Astral Blue

Tony, sorry to jump in late on this. In my opinion, I think you should take both vacations. You can use your time on the ICW to unwind from all the stress a three week trip to Italy is going to bring on. Anchoring is ever so theraputic!

With regard to your house battery bank, I think two batteries is severely below what is necessary based on the circumstances you described. On my 28 footer, I have three group 29 house batteries and they are adequate for a weekend on the hook. The battery mainly powers the refrigerator, lights, toilet, tablet/cell phones, stereo, coffee maker, toaster oven (used sparingly), and skillet (also used sparingly). It is perfect for a weekend outing. But beyond that, I'd seriously consider increasing battery capacity.

You have a much larger boat than I do; and more space to add additional batteries. Assess your needs and add accordingly. I'm guessing you'll need to double your battery capacity.

This leads to my next suggestion. I highly recommend purchasing a battery monitoring system before you spend a single dime on additional battery capacity and the addition of solar panels. Xantrex makes a great system and it is very affordable given what it provides. You will be able to use this system to not only tell you how much battery capacity you have available, it will tell you exactly how much you are using...and accordingly how much capacity you need. For $200 and some change, it is a great (and necessary) investment.

Brief answers to your other questions: Yes, a charge controller will be necessary. No matter how much attention you pay to your charging, it is very easy to overcharge and damage your batteries. And as others have noted, the shadow of the crane will have an impact on your charging. If you can relocate your solar panel away from the crane, it would help considerably. The problem with moving it is you will be doing this constantly as your boat moves according to tides and as the sun's position changes. The shadow of the crane is going to end up being a royal pain, in my opinion.

Keep us posted on how it's going.

Astral Blue is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: