Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2016, 08:52   #16

Boat: Catalina 30
Re: Going from complicated to simple, any regrets?

I would not remove the 'accessories' outlets. They are 12v outlets and you use them for everything from fans to lights to soldering irons and everything in between. In fact I added more to our boat when we got it. I'd make sure you have one in the cockpit for a search light (or possibly even a fan).
OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 08:53   #17

Boat: 38" Sailboat

While I think you might be able to go without AC I think in the long run you will miss it. Just for projects, it will essentially eliminate any power tools. I would also think it would lower the value of the boat quite a bit. It's also nice to be able to run a heater or dehumidifier every so often.

If it were me, I would put I a cheap blue sea AC panel, wire it for 2 circuits of outlets, with maybe 1 outlet on each circuit to start. If you think charging won't be a problem you could skip the charger but I would probably make sure the panel had a spot for one, and maybe run the wires for it, but skip hooking them up.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
SailingPNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 09:17   #18

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by versailles View Post
While I think you might be able to go without AC I think in the long run you will miss it. Just for projects, it will essentially eliminate any power tools.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
You can run many power tools off an inverter, but if you are at the dock you can used the AC Power there with an extension cord.

My boat came with a yellow adapter for the normal dock connection that you can plug your extension cord into.

He could simply pickup one of those.

http://www.amazon.com/Marinco-105SPP.../dp/B000NI38JE
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 09:52   #19

Boat: Cape Dory 33

We did exactly what you are considering on our Bristol 24 when we renovated it. We left only the DC cabin and nav lights, vhf radio and the wiring for the tiller pilot. In addition to the DC cabin lights we had two kerosene lights so that we didn't run down our battery excessively when we weren't able to charge our battery (we didn't have solar panels). Our boat was outboard powered so we didn't need the battery for engine starting. We used a regular extension cord from the dock power to charge our batteries and power any AC tools we needed at the dock. It was an extremely simple set up on a very simple boat and we were quite content with it, even for the 1 year that we lived aboard. But that a personality thing too.....many people would not have been able to tolerate so "know thyself."
Old 11-01-2016, 10:02   #20

If you're using AC at all dockside, I'd recommend having basic AC wiring on the boat, even if it's just two breakers and two outlets. 15A extension cords + cheater adaptors for the 30A shorepower adaptor, let's stick a splitter on the end of that, etc etc...trouble at some point.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 10:26   #21

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaflyfish View Post
The vessel is 27ft. The D/C panel looks like a plate of red spaghetti with vice gripped terminal fittings. There are numerous butt splices on a single run of wire. Some terminals are pulling free. Visible hanging wires thru-out. There are obsolete stereo with speakers and automotive accessory plug in receptacles in numerous places, lamps, extra lights, TV, etc. The shore power panel is just as bad if not worse. The fridge had to go cause it was horrid. I can repair all this. New tinned wire and properly rated circuit breakers etc. So, what this comes down to is this; the vessel was modernized 10 years ago for electronics and furnishings of that era. Equipment seems to be obsolete in two years as well as the wiring to support said equip. How important is it (to you) long term to have 3 a/c outlets spaced thru out the boat as opposed to a single inverter with two built in outlets? My idea was to keep it simple without shore power. Efficiency of portable electronic devices for navigation and entertainment, maintaining electrical potential seems to be a net negative. Or is this backwards thinking?
I hate spaghetti. With an aircraft background you will probably do a great job of dressing and bundling wires. If you have a problem down the road you won't be scratching your head as to what the hell does this wire do and where does it go. JMHO
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 10:47   #22

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
15A extension cords + cheater adaptors for the 30A shorepower adaptor, let's stick a splitter on the end of that, etc etc...trouble at some point.
They work fine the few times you ever need them. It's not something that you would leave hooked up over night.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 10:57   #23

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
I hate spaghetti. With an aircraft background you will probably do a great job of dressing and bundling wires. If you have a problem down the road you won't be scratching your head as to what the hell does this wire do and where does it go. JMHO
PS! Don't forget the numbered tags on both end of each wire.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 11:06   #24

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

I agree...remove as much wiring as you can...you don't need it.

I've had several boats, and each one I've removed as much old wiring as possible. I NEVER plug into shorepower...all that AC wiring is just wasted on me. The radio and instruments are near the batteries, so updating those wires on a new 12V panel is a rewarding, inexpensive, and not too difficult job.

I have lots of LED flashlights.
I have a pair of handheld VHF radios.
I have a pair of garmin handheld GPS.
All my devices and flashlights use ONLY AA batteries, to keep it simple.

IMHO, a boat is not a house. I don't expect a light switch in every room. My kids and I actually enjoy using flashlights when required on the boat.

I've gone simple, and love it...no regrets.
I've done this on several boats, and it did not hurt the resale value...if anything it increased the value of the boat, since most buyers don't want an unnecessary and complicated system either.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 11:15   #25

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by versailles View Post
While I think you might be able to go without AC I think in the long run you will miss it. Just for projects, it will essentially eliminate any power tools.
I use a MANUAL drill (eggbeater style), and a handsaw. Manual tools never need a cord, or a recharge. They are inexpensive, don't take up much space, and are nice and quiet.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 11:26   #26

might as well start out right. get a copy of the ABYC guidelines, you will have no problems in the future.

also tin all your wires and they will last a life time
bsurvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 11:28   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
[cheaters and extension cords] work fine the few times you ever need them. It's not something that you would leave hooked up over night.
yeah... then one Friday evening your battery's low and you're heading out Saturday morning...
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 11:43   #28

Boat: 1972 Contest 33

I won't say I rewired my boat because I used the old wiring for a lot of new devices. I did how ever replace the old switches and fuse blocks with new as well as your typical electrical devices. I now used led's in place of bulbs and I even added a electric drive.
If you need to rewire your boat do it. It's a hazard if you don't. Where I did rewire I used tinned wire 12 gauge and kept it as simple as possible. Red is hot. Black is Ground. I used 3m connectors with heat shrink to keep corrosion out. Don't forget to clip your wire ties after installing . It just looks better. Invest in a heat gun you'll need it. I am now looking at mounting 500 watts of solar to power it as well as a wind generator. I hope you have fun and don't forget to sail her that's what you bought her for.
Old 11-01-2016, 18:45   #29

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
If you're using AC at all dockside, I'd recommend having basic AC wiring on the boat, even if it's just two breakers and two outlets. 15A extension cords + cheater adaptors for the 30A shorepower adaptor, let's stick a splitter on the end of that, etc etc...trouble at some point.
This idea would get my vote. Can't be that hard to put in a basic system.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 19:10   #30

Boat: Pearson 36-2, Pearson 26 'annapolis'

Welcome to spaghetti land. Mine was/is a mess. I disconnected some from the panel. I rebuilt the engine (starter and alternator), bilge and battery wiring. Keep your nav lights working so you aren't restricted. A plug in for your chargeables. A good simple plan like yours sounds great.
TomLewis is offline   Reply With Quote