Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 04-02-2015, 18:01   #1

Boat: DUNCANSON 40' PILOTHHOUSE
GMA BATTERIES

G'DAY,
I'M LOOKING FOR ADVICE ON BATTERY CHARGING AND BATTERIES.
RECENTLY, I REPLACED 5 BATTERIES WITH 5 NEW GMA TYPE. ( 4 HOUSE 105 AMP/HR, 730 CC), ( 1 START UP 93 AMP/HR, 800 CC?).
ANYWAY I HAVE A HI TEC 12V - 24V CHARGER, PROBABLY FROM THE 80'S WHICH DOES NOT HAVE A SETTING FOR GMA BATTERIES. THE CLOSET IS GEL. IT HAS 3 SETTINGS WET, GEL AND SOMETHING ELSE.
AM I GOING TO DAMAGE THESE NEW BATTERIES BY USING THE GEL SETTING?
THE TECHNICIAN SAID I'D BE RIGHT FOR A SHORT TIME BUT NOT TOO LONG AS THE CHARGING PROFILE WAS SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT.
EVENTUALLY I WANT TO GET A CHARGER THAT DOES HAVE A SETTING FOR GMA BATTERIES SO I'M NOT CONCERNED TO LEAVE THE BOAT FOR A WHILE.
ANY INFO IS APPRECIATED TO CLARIFY THIS. THANKS

Old 04-02-2015, 18:42   #2
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: GMA BATTERIES

I'm betting you have AGM, Absorbed Glass Matte, not GMA. Which is a network AM television show.

Odds are that "gel" will undercharge them while "conventional" wet lead might even work fine.

You need to contact the battery manufacturer, get their spec sheets because every make is a little different.

Then you find out the specs for your charger, and see if they can be matched up. If not? You spend money to make something match up.

Old 04-02-2015, 22:00   #3

wet it likely fine, I'd be more worried about the type of charger then the voltage level. it's probably an old non 3 stage smart one.
Old 05-02-2015, 07:59   #4

Boat: Nordic Tugs 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
wet it likely fine, I'd be more worried about the type of charger then the voltage level. it's probably an old non 3 stage smart one.
The Gel setting is definitely not the right choice - too low voltages. Maybe the setting for flooded lead acid batts would be OK, but I sure wouldn't trust a significantly costly set of new AGM's to such an old charger. A smart charger with the proper AGM setting (for your particular brand of AGM's) would be much better for longevity of your house bank.
NewMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 13:55   #5

Boat: 42' Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncanson40 View Post
G'DAY,
I'M LOOKING FOR ADVICE ON BATTERY CHARGING AND BATTERIES.
RECENTLY, I REPLACED 5 BATTERIES WITH 5 NEW GMA TYPE. ( 4 HOUSE 105 AMP/HR, 730 CC), ( 1 START UP 93 AMP/HR, 800 CC?).
ANYWAY I HAVE A HI TEC 12V - 24V CHARGER, PROBABLY FROM THE 80'S WHICH DOES NOT HAVE A SETTING FOR GMA BATTERIES. THE CLOSET IS GEL. IT HAS 3 SETTINGS WET, GEL AND SOMETHING ELSE.
AM I GOING TO DAMAGE THESE NEW BATTERIES BY USING THE GEL SETTING?

AGM, yes? You can approach this a couple ways...

1) Our charger has only two settings, one for flooded lead acid batteries (wet cell) and one for sealed gel batteries. Our manual says specifically to use the flooded lead acid setting for AGMs. Even though your charger has no AGM setting, perhaps your charger manual isn't silent on the topic?

2) Your charger manual may well tell you exactly what the bulk, absorption, and float charge rates are for each battery type profile. (What's the "something else"?) Usually the gel charge rates are lower than flooded charge rates. You can compare those charge rates with your battery manufacturer's recommended charge rates.

3) No need to shout.

-Chris

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: