Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 24-06-2013, 06:07   #76

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
Re: GFIC Wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingCloud1937 View Post
now that i think about it a little more.

The fact that you have your gen connected to the input side of your ISO, you have now bypassed the ISO, so that everything on your boat while connected to shore pedestal is a direct connection to mother earth, and all dc VA's can now bypass the ISO.

Why/how is this...because the gen is bonded neutral to earth, and the fact that the gen is connected to the dc bat/ships ground for starting.

You have now bonded the gen to dc, and AC shore side. thereby bypassing the ISO.

You are connecting the gen in parallel with the shore side earth (Huh? You are claiming that my isolation transformer and my inverter is likely not isolated and magically connected to a earth ground somehow?)

It's not magical, it was by your own design, it's called a circuit.

lloyd
The shore/gen transfer switch ensures the generator will never meet shorepower.

Old 24-06-2013, 06:12   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Why, it has absolutely no function in that regard, The output of a generator is isolated, unless you make it not so.

ANyway , this has no bearing on the substance of my comments,

Dave
Agree! But it shows how to defeat the fallacious 'gen-connected-to-seawater' theory. (I know that wasn't necessary)

The function is to clean-up generator harmonic distortion. The IT is a big inductor.

Old 24-06-2013, 06:18   #78
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

SO , other then lloyds mysterious "ions" ( a bit like the 'ether'), we have no reasoned contradiction for some of the nonsense that passes for boat AC practices.

Dave
Old 24-06-2013, 06:25   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
SO , other then lloyds mysterious "ions" ( a bit like the 'ether'), we have no reasoned contradiction for some of the nonsense that passes for boat AC practices.

Dave
Old 24-06-2013, 06:44   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingCloud1937 View Post
You do realize that an isolation transformer only stops dc from flowing and that all AC can find it's way back to shore side ground through the ISO.

So it matters not which side the generator is connected, ...unless you also happen to run the generator while connected to the shore side pedistal.

Once disconnected, an ISO in series with the gen, is no different than an ISO in parallel with the gen.

Lloyd
I had to read this like 5 times to try and understand the meaning.

The first misunderstanding is how isolation transformers work! There is ZERO metallic connection between the primary and secondary. The connection is magnetic! There are no diodes or capacitors like you'll find in a galvanic isolator, there is no 'leakage'. To extrapolate that ITs pass AC because they are a source for AC is simply wrong. They block both AC and DC.

The power on the secondary side is completely isolated from shore side power, it's a completely new source. One can hold one side of the secondary and also hold any of the shorepower connections (L1, L2, N, or G) and feel nothing, nada, zip! One can hold one side of the secondary and dance a jig on deck in a rainstorm, nothing, nada, zip! Go swimming, nothing, nada, zip! Until you complete the connection back to the other side of the secondary, there will be no current flow!

So I really don't understand basis for the claim "all AC can find it's way back to shore side ground through the ISO"
Old 24-06-2013, 06:57   #81
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

DotDun, Lloyd is getting mixed up with Galvanic isolators!!!!.... ( I though that might have been obvious)

Dave

Tags
wiring

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: