Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 13-06-2011, 10:14   #16

Boat: Maxum 37'
Re: GFCI Receptacle Question

Originally Posted by poboy View Post
Charlie -

I agree completely with your thoughts regarding the BMV. The only reasons I am going to take it out of the circuit are a) it is the only known change in the system and b) the positive lead for it is attached to the same positive terminal as the inverter. I sincerely doubt any difference will be noted, however.

Capnbill - the buzzing makes me very nervous as well. I did not swap with a working unit, but actually replaced the original outlet with a brand new one. Problem persisted. I am leaning towards agreement with comments regarding MSW and the inverter having a little age on it. But, the fact that the other GFCI outlets are
not affected still gives me pause.

I should be back on board this weekend and will know more after further testing. Thanks so much for all of the replies!

The reason I asked is twofold, one put the "bad" gfci in a ciruit the current gfci is not buzzing, the second to put the "good" gfci in the problem circuit. This definately isolates and eliminates the suspect component. ( it also eliminates the possibility that a particular brand, or manufacturing defect in the new one makes it more suseptable to this problem).

Then when you have eliminated the impossible, you are left with,... a bad ground.
GFCI outlets rely on a good ground connection for proper operation. A corroded high resistance ground somewhere between the inverter, and the buzzing GFCI is the most likely culprit. You may have tipped the bucket on the bad ground by adding an additional load on it with the battery monitor.

GFCI outlets use AC, but a DC bias on the AC signal can fool it into thinking it has more ground leakage than it does, (they are all semiconductor now).

Start at the buzzing GFCI, and trace the ground wire back to main power, especially between the inverter and the outlet, as you stated it does not buzz when on shorepower.

This is probably a battle of inches the trip point of a GFCI is 5ma. a small amount of corrosion at each connection point adds up to a problem.

capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2011, 10:40   #17
Commercial Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran
Re: GFCI Receptacle Question

I have a small "true sine wave" inverter hardwired into my GFCI outlets, and none of them buzz. I suspect this is your problem... You need true sine wave.

Mark Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: