Originally Posted by Seahunter
If one's worries about an engine
room spark, ANY outlet can produce this effect regardless if it's a GFI or not. Having any type of spark producing equipment
goes against standards however an appropriate vapor detector can offer some protection.
An outlet will only spark when it is used, (except a GFCI can spark when tripped), feeding the engine
room outlet from a GFCI located somewhere else is the best compromise.
As inadvisable as having an outlet in the engine room is, I have never seen a boat that didn't have one. All of MY boats electrical wiring
was routed through the engine room, (both AC & DC), by the manufacturer.
Both engines, (gas burners), have alternators with sparking brushes
. dozens of pumps, and both Air units are also sparking. The generator
has open relays, not even to mention over a dozen "spark plugs", and distributer caps with spark gaps.
Fact is a major fuel
leak while operating, and that boat is going to blow. Which is why before starting engines I always check bilge
for any oder, or unexplanable liquids. Touch fuel
lines, and under filters for wetness or gas smell. And run bilge
ventelation system for 5 mins before starting engines.
Maybe adding a remote
switch, (outside the engine room), to turn off outlet when not in use? An LEL detector should be common equipment
on board a boat. Be safe.