Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2010, 02:41   #16
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
Simplest way to get out to day sail. One wire alternator to your new starting battery. Separate the engine harness from the rest, go sailing.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 06:45   #17
Eternal Member

Boat: Vancouver 36 cutter????
Send a message via Skype™ to capt_douglas
@Stillraining - nicely done! Is that a Blue Sea electrical panel?
Old 02-06-2010, 07:21   #18

This is some great feedback guys. I appreciate it. This weekend I'll try to get to it and figure out which way to go. I like ex-calif's suggestions which seem to be more methodical but at the same time if every single crimp I see needs replacing I might just go into rip out mode. I'm also going to cover the solars for now and take down the wind gen just to make sure I don't have any stray current burning things out.
Old 02-06-2010, 17:29   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Good plan to cover/isolate the solar and wind. I didn't realize you had these systems installed.

It certainly adds components and complexity we haven't talked about yet. Charge controllers, isolators etc.

You don't really have "one" electrical system. You have multiple systems and probably shore power as well as the previously mentioned. with a badly deteriorated system my thoughts would be to isolate (disconnect each system) - get to one basic system working and then add the systems back as they are refurbished.

You might think about putting them in order (I'm an engineer, can't help it - LOL)

- Start bank
- engine alternator
- house bank
- generator (if any)
- solar and charge controller
- AC system and shore power
- wind
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 07:50   #20

Yeah, I definitely need to get to the point that I can start and not burn anything out with the alternator spinning. And thats all I really want for the moment.

The boat surprisingly doesn't have any sort of shorepower/AC system onboard. However what is there is a total rats nest.

Don't plan on having a generator in the future either. I just want a proper setup with solar + wind + alternator (charging) and the typical 2 bank system for house and starting. Seems like it should be simple but the more I read the more complicated it gets. Seems like every little component in the system has 65 gotchas you have to know about and then you're supposed to approach the system as a whole.... Ugh!
Old 07-06-2010, 13:00   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_douglas View Post
7 batteries on a Westsail 32!

I'd bring 2 on board with me when I went sailing: one to start and run the boat and a spare. Chances are you'll want the VHF, knot, and depth instruments running and although they don't take a lot of power, they can eat a battery badly over the course of a long day sail. If you're feeling particularly strong bring a big house battery with you, just in case.

Make sure you have the alternator output connected to the battery. Alternators don't last long with no load.

As you're in Louisiana, the 880 should do fine on the 4-108. Colder climates would probably prefer the 1000CCA.

If you disconnect a lot of wires, I'd also consider covering the solar panels. Some of them don't like having a load not attached to them. Covering them will greatly reduce the voltage generated and may prevent what is good from going bad.

So, with 7 batteries, 4 solar panels, and a wind generator on a 32' you've gotta post a picture. Please?
Hey Capt.Douglas, you can see photos of all the gear that was on board on my blog post here:
Progress Report « SV Sundower sails again

We were able to get the motor cranked. I went ahead and ripped out the house bank almost completely. I really have a lot of work ahead of me.
Old 07-06-2010, 13:43   #22
cruiser

Check out mpja.com for when you start to reassemble. Particularly like the gold plated AGU 4 fuse block I have one that is connected to wind gen ,solar, alternator and inverter, they hold fuses up to 80 amp. Also have their dc shunt ammeters on wind and solar, where else can you find them under $10.
Old 07-06-2010, 13:47   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsailbyowner View Post
Check out mpja.com for when you start to reassemble. Particularly like the gold plated AGU 4 fuse block I have one that is connected to wind gen ,solar, alternator and inverter, they hold fuses up to 80 amp. Also have their dc shunt ammeters on wind and solar, where else can you find them under $10.
Do you happen to have a wiring schematic to show how that block falls into your system?
Old 16-06-2010, 15:25   #24
cruiser

Its pretty simple, I made everything from scratch. I have a hinged section on my board that opens up to expose the fuse block.. A short run of battery cable goes from fuse block to main bus, leads leave fuseblock and run to respective shunts, all the other lower power draw circuits are on breakers run off main bus..