Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2015, 08:35   #1

Boat: O'Day 28
Getting Hub off AirX

I tied off the gen and forgot about it for awhile, By the time I got back to it the small synthetic line had disintegrated and wrapped around the hub. I was able to unwind a lot of it but apparently not all as blades won't spin. Bearings good. So I got my skyhook out, stuck a 5/16" allen wrench in hub and tried to back the hub out enough to free the blades.

No joy. I made 3-4 trips "aloft" using first, a breaker bar, then a breaker and cheater.

This very morning I rigged my scuba tank to my impact wrench, again risking my life and providing potential entertainment to onlookers, but still no joy. It was tough getting the tank that high; maybe I'll use a hose next time.

Suggestions? All I'm after is to loosen the hub enuff to pull the strings out. I've read the directions more than once. When I did the rebearing job 2 yrs back I used a torque wrench, not the impacter. The allen wrench goes into the main shaft with the 5/8" nut around it but there is no way to get anything on that nut.

Hopefully I'm making a dumb mistake. Wouldn't be the first time.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 08:40   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Getting Hub off AirX

Put the allen wrench in the shaft and loosen the nut in the hub by turning the blades.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 09:18   #3

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Guy, the blades won't spin.
Blue,
Try a blast of heat on the allen screw. Propane torch for 20 seconds or so ought to do it.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 12:51   #4

The blades turn by hand but not quite by air. I wasn't. Clear. Ive lost a lot of strength but the impact hasn't and I was holding the hub.

Propane torch to it tomorrow.
Old 29-11-2015, 13:26   #5

One more idea, you are turning the shaft backwards to loosen right? Not righty tighty but righty lucy.
Old 29-11-2015, 13:53   #6

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

If you followed the instructions last time you put Loctite on the threads.

It needs heat to release it.
Old 29-11-2015, 14:51   #7

pirate Re: Getting Hub off AirX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
One more idea, you are turning the shaft backwards to loosen right? Not righty tighty but righty lucy.

I dunno. I had that thought too so I hammered it the other way just in case. I did use locktite so I'll warm it up manana weather permitting.

Thx
Old 30-11-2015, 07:24   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
I dunno. I had that thought too so I hammered it the other way just in case. I did use locktite so I'll warm it up manana weather permitting.

Thx
I did not put that correctly. It's not that it has left hand threads but if you are unscrewing the shaft from the hub, you turn the shaft to the right to undo it from the hub. If you are undoing the hub, then it turns left to unscrew from the shaft. This was probably clear to you but I had to think a bit when I did it.
Old 30-11-2015, 07:42   #9

Heat is not needed nor is it a good idea.

Guy has it right.When you put the Allen wrench on the nut you are on the end of the shaft.You hold the shaft stationary and turn the hub off in a counter-clockwise direction.

Being me, I made a tool that fits into the machined boss of the hub where a blade goes and gives you a decent handle to turn the hub off without damage. You may need something like this if it has been together for a time. Just take off a blade and use the blade to get the bolt pattern of the hub. Make it from a piece of flat stock, no machining, maybe a little filing and drill a couple of holes.

Using the impact is a good way to seriously cut the bearing life and gets you nothing much at all.

What’s so hard about unbolting the bottom of the mounting brackets and dropping the generator down into the boat?
um saudade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2015, 08:29   #10

Well ya got me there. This was supposed to be a 5 min job, ya know. I now realize the impact wasn't the best plan.