Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2006, 09:58   #16

Yep, If it say's Yanmar I can get it.
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2006, 19:45   #17

Never Monday,
I have recently bought a Morgan O/I 415, which is equipped with the Fischer Panda genset. Have had problems with the Panda genset since the first day the boat was purchased. As any other boat owner would do I grabbed the manual. Tried to solve the problem myself, four hours later, I come to realize I did not understand nothing it was saying, so I called the Panda rep in St. Pete. Told him that the genset was popping the fuses, would not start. He ask me if I had tracked down possible short, I replied I had, and could not locate a short. Then he ask if I went to the manual, I was quick to tell him that I needed a translater for I did not understand what it was talking about. The problem I have come to with this, and maybe you could help? I believe I have a short because the low voltage fuse that goes in the control panel keeps blowing. I have tried and tried to find the problem. The positive cable from the battery to the genset, then there is a negative to the genset that is grounded to the motor. The 12v wiring going from the genset to the starter panel and back appear to all be good. It appears the problem at hand is it keeps blowing the fuse. I finally got the Panda rep out, and he stated the board was bad, and for $500 + labor he would install another board. Myself not being a mechanic replied. If it seems there is a short that fried the first board will you guarantee the new board wil not fry as well. He replied NO! So I called the Panda Manufacturer in Lauderdale, FL. I talked to a service rep. Explained to the gentleman what was going on with genset, and discovered he knew about as much about the Panda as I did....NONE! So from reading your post, I gather you may have a little knowledge about this genset. Any help or advice about this genset problem would be appreciated, for I am about to deep six the Panda genset.
Rodney
- Louisa May Alcott
Green BUT Adventurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2006, 13:12   #18

Louisa,

Rodney,
I handle the dealer accounts for Fischer Panda Generators in Fort Lauderdale. I came across this post and would like to help you.

I looked for your contact information in our system but it appears the generator is either registered under a different name or unregistered. Please contact me at the office as soon as possible and I will see what we can do to get you up and running.

I look forward to taking care of you,
Jeff Till
Fischer Panda Generators
Jeff Till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2006, 14:35   #19

Rodney,
Which gen do you have? My guess would be about a 6kw but I'm not sure.
Try to hook up with Jeff at F-P first. if he can't help then i'll give it a try.

Pat
Old 23-08-2006, 10:47   #20

WOW! After posting on Cruisers Forum about Panda Genset problem, I received a call the next morning from Fischer Panda. They are offering a great deal of help and going out of their way to help me get my problem resolved. A Fischer Panda rep has even called the marina where Ragdoll is slipped to make sure things are starting to happen.
At this point I could not be happier with the customer support at Fischer Panda....
I have never experienced this level of service.
As soon as the problem is resolved I will post back and let the forum know how everything went.
Rodney
- Louisa May Alcott
Green BUT Adventurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2006, 18:55   #21

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
I and the company I work for service and repair LOTS of Fisher-Panda's. We really love them because we make lots of money repairing and replacing them.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2006, 03:31   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Baier
I and the company I work for service and repair LOTS of Fisher-Panda's. We really love them because we make lots of money repairing and replacing them.
Chuck,
I think your comment is to vague. Please be more specific as to which FP generators you repair/replace regularly, what the root of the failures are, how many hours are on the units.

I suspect you're having to repair them due to owner neglect/abuse instead of a FP failure.
The 6kw and up are built on Kubota engines. Since Beta and Universal use the SAME engines and don't carry the distain of FP. I suspect some bias. The older FP 4Kw, as I stated earlier, had a problem with the engines supplied to them. Because FPs name is on the box they too the blame.
Old 24-08-2006, 07:44   #23

Chuck

Chuck,

After seeing and reading your thread I'm surprised. I have a Fischer Panda installed and have had great support and service.

What company do you work for and what problems have you experinced?

Bill
nauticalmyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2006, 09:51   #24

Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL currently CLODs [cruisers living on dirt]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nauticalmyle
Chuck,

After seeing and reading your thread I'm surprised. I have a Fischer Panda installed and have had great support and service.

Bill
Ditto - we have had some issues but support and service has been above and beyond - I am more than satisfied and would not hesitate to recommend a Panda.
Jon D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2006, 12:05   #25

Boat: Privilege 37
I would like to add a hearty well done to FP for picking this up from the forum and running with it. Good support is an essential requirement in any marine equipment selection process, and this gets top marks.
Old 24-08-2006, 17:30   #26

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
We do repairs on gensets that are brand new and under warranty to units that are years old and all ages in between. we also service Kohler, Northern Lights and just about all others. The major issues with FP are with the charging units and related controls much more so than the engines. We repair the FP's on a much higher rate that the other brand even thought the Kohler's and a few others seem to be the predominant units in the boats in our area. We do standard maintenance on all of these brands. I am sure there are many that are totally satisfied with FP but we have also run across many that wanted no more that to throw the unit overboard. This is not just from a service standpoint. We have lived aboard and cruised our current boat along most of the US coast and extensively in the Caribbean. Perhaps those that are happy with their FP's don't like to brag about them but those that have issues are very vocal and seem to be everywhere. A comment on one post about "Owner neglect" seems to come up over and over when an issue comes up about FP service and the companies response. Our customers dealing with us have no complaints because WE make sure that everything is done to get them back in operation. Our feedback is when they deal directly with FP and get the "owner neglect" response. Perhaps FP is getting their act together. Time will tell but the reputation is already there and we have seen instances where some of the same issues are still around. The overall concept of the unit is great for small boats but the reports from owners of their experiences and the feedback on almost any boating BB one might browse indicates that improvements still need to be made. Any company can look great if all is needed is a little advice over the phone or replacement of a small part. But once the serious decisions need to be made if it comes down to a major repair or replacement then you know if you have a responsive company behind the product. Walk the docks and talk to owners. Keep asking on boards like this for FIRST HAND experience and not hearsay or feedback from those that have a financial interest in promoting the product. Their response will most certainly be a bit biased. If you want to know what works and what does not keep doing the research from as many sources as you can find. It will seem a little confusing and overwhelming at first but eventually the fog will clear and the answer will be quite obvious. Stay at it, the truth is out there.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2006, 18:29   #27

Boat: Columbia 43--Wa'a Nui
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbot
I would like to add a hearty well done to FP for picking this up from the forum and running with it.
As mentioned above, this can only go to show the power of this forum. Current, comprehensive, consistent and drawing more and more cruisers and those how supply them with what they require.

Well Done Cruiser's Forum!!!

Mike
Old 25-08-2006, 05:05   #28

Chuck,

Some of your comments are valid. But, form what I have heard is that many of the Fischer Panda problems do stem from lack of Maintenance. Most people like myself do not look at their generator until it does not work. I am to blame for some problems. A good example is the water pump">raw water pump, if neigeled it can cause a large mess.

You still are avoiding who you work for, Why? Give your shop some Props.
nauticalmyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2006, 05:48   #29

Chuck,
I am not sure what company you work for and if they are a Fischer Panda dealer or not. But what I am willing to do to help educate you and your company on the latest Fischer Panda product is offer you a free spot in our service school.

The service school is 3 days in Fort Lauderdale I will pay for your hotel and food and the school all you have to do is get yourself to Fort Lauderdale during the time of the school.

The ball is in your court let me know if you are interested.

Jeff Till
Fischer Panda Generators
Jeff Till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2006, 07:47   #30

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
12v Generation v 110/220v

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunspot Baby
Thanks for input so far. Anyone else's thought or experiences are welcome as well.

Sunpspot Baby
I've been researching a genset as I've been under pressure to install a washing machine - but that is another story.

I've been impressed with what I've read and seen on other yachts about only adding a 12v generator and using an invertor to take off the the 110 / 220v the few times it is needed.

Is seems to be an attractive option as opposed to the 110 v / 220 v output models. Smaller footprint, smaller engine, easier to maintain, less fuel, and cheaper too!

The saved weight also means you can consider increasing battery bank - and then use 110 / 220v kit without having to wake the guys parked alongside.

If anyone can give me any downsides, love to hear them.

Cheers

JOHN