Thanks for all of the responses.
I think a 100A+ charger running off the genset is the way (budget permitting) to go given the mechanical uncertainties of sticking a big alternator on a genset.
Only started living off the hook last week so am learning
as I'm going. The learning
started with the main motor
alternator not working on the motor up here. After a days investigation I worked out it must have been wired incorrectly. The power to the Balmar 612 regulator was coming off the alternator itself rather than a 12v power source (I gather it needs power for the logic circuit). Changed it and it started to work however the 130A alternator only produces 60A according to the BEP meter. Also the west marine
isolator, which is rated to only 70A, gets burning hot (probably a fire hazard).
I'm conscience that running the main motor under very little load at anchor
is probably not good so thought I'd run the genset. 4 hours to claw
back the previous days usage seemed a bit excessive hence the original post.
I dont trust the BEP meter, either its not setup right or I dont understand it. Currenly its reading 12.9v on both starter and house batteries and shows 30% capacity remaining. Its not registering the wind generator
which has been going strong all day and has shown some odd readings over the past few days.
- I've been looking at a couple of Xantrex chargers on Ebay.I'm in Aus and they're in the US so the postage will be steep.
- I think the extra starter battery for the genset is overkill but then it must have been done for a reason. One 225Ah gel is used for the main starter battery.
- the hot water is 110v electric
but I did notice an unused inlet which could be for engine coolant
heat exchange. Will have to find the manual
- I've switched bulbs for warm LEDs. They use about 1/5th of the current
but are a little less bright.
- Solar panels
seem to be a good investment. I think I can fit at least 400w.
- I'm creating my own wiring
map as I dont trust the diagram after running into a few anomolies eg the regulator had no power. I think it had the 512 balmar previously which only had one power input for sensing rather than the 612 which needs an additional 12v power source.
- the engine has a 130A Balmar. I also have a spare 100A balmar with the old 512 regulator which I was thinking of sticking on the Genset.
-I only got the wind generator
working yesterday. The blades were damaged so I re-glassed and balanced them (which was a real pain). I also moved the power output from the isolator (where the previous owner had wired it) and wired it directly to the house battery as per the Airbreeze instruction manual. Not sure if the onboard regulator would work otherwise.
- 100A+ seems to be the go. Apparently the GELs will accept 30% of there capacity.
- Even though I already have a 130A alternator only 60A is being produced according to the meter. Dont know whats going on here. Increasing the rpm
didnt work. I have a spare 100A balmar and reg which I guess could be fitted to the motor.
- Got the LEDs everywhere now although I noticed the 36led strip lights were drawing 1.3A which seemed excessive. Also noticed that the LPG solenoid was drawing 1.2A and running hot.
- Today I spent 30min monitoring the fridge.Its now running for 10 minutes every 10 minutes at about 5A so 50% duty cycle. yesterday, unless I'm paranoid it seemed to be running continuously.
Thanks for all the responses to my first question on this forum.