Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2007, 05:27   #16

Boat: now floating easy37
what like this?
northerncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 05:32   #17

what like this ?
Old 10-01-2007, 05:34   #18

i have actually been thinking of something like this but it then means you have to pull the cowlings off you motor to use the genny/watermaker whatever
sean
Old 10-01-2007, 14:57   #19

which would kind of restrict you to use while anchored, still you can have a high capacity alternator on one and a watermaker pump off the other
sean
Old 10-01-2007, 15:09   #20

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
In my case it would be a dedicated genny, not propulsion, so I could use the full 9-9hp to swing the spinny thing and could leave it permanently mounted in a soundproofed vented box in the back steps.

Dave
Old 12-01-2007, 05:48   #21

you still have to cool it?? so you may as well use the propulsion as well
sean
Old 12-01-2007, 06:27   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by northerncat
you still have to cool it?? so you may as well use the propulsion as well
sean
Mate, ive got 65HP diesels, so don't need a 9-9, or the hasle of bomb bay doors.

Don't know how it'd go pushing a 50 ft flybridged cat draging two bucket sized 19 inch prop's through the piss either.

Figuring on some giant mother f***in alternater that takes 9 hp to crank, with a small 12 volt pump to push water through.

Well that's the half baked plan anyway.

Dave
Old 12-01-2007, 12:53   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Evertime you convert one form of energy to another, you have a loss of energy. The cheapest way (energy wise) to drive a water maker is to have the petrol/diesel motor directly driving it. It may be cheaper and simpler and certainly lighter to get a small stand alone engine and direct drive the water maker, coupled by belt and pulley.

I also don't quite see why a small weight of 25 to 50Kg should be of such a concern. If that small a difference makes such a important difference to sailing speed, you will have many other issues. Plus, what will even 100Kg make in difference to speed. Even if it slowed you by a whole kt or even two, it isn't going to help you outrun bad weather. 10kts, yeah maybe then it would be worth the saving. But heck, just empty the holding tank more frequently. Or take on 20ltrs less in fresh water.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 14:47   #24

its more the approach of 10k here 10k there = a lot of kilos over a boat, if you are careful you end up with a light boat if not you end up with a heavy slower boat, over 24 hours 1 knot made good is 24nm further on, this is the appraoch of cat sailors
sean
Old 12-01-2007, 15:07   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by northerncat
its more the approach of 10k here 10k there = a lot of kilos over a boat, if you are careful you end up with a light boat if not you end up with a heavy slower boat, over 24 hours 1 knot made good is 24nm further on, this is the appraoch of cat sailors
sean
"Save a pound a thousand times you've saved a thousand pound's"......Geoff Cruse

wise multihull guru saying

Dave
Old 12-01-2007, 20:13   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Yes I understand that. But my point of view is why make savings that will end up costing you in some other way, when the end result is a 24Nm difference that is niether here nor there in the event of a weather front.
So hence why I suggested and as an sincere suggestion, Should the weight saving be made elswhere? Or to pose the question in another way, is it better to take on a little more weight in this instance and maybe sacrifice the weight in some other area.
Or another idea. Is the water maker you are lookign at the best choice? Thats a lot of power required for watermaking. Would it be better to look at the next step down in size of maker. Or would it be better to look at an engine driven watermaker or or or?? Just thougths and suggestions, and I do realise you may have already thought those issues through.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 22:14   #27

i am a product of the instant society i live in while i could have a watermaker that makes 4l an hour i have to leave it running all day, i wnat 40-80 litres an hour now, using recycled fingernails of course
sean
Old 14-01-2007, 20:10   #28

Boat: 1978 Mainship 34 Sedan Trawler MK1
If you have a diesel for your main engine you could mount the pump on the engine with a clutch (like an AC clutch from a car). If you are doing serious cruising you will probably want to start and run the engine for at least an hour to charge your batterys every day and I usually do it for 3 hours. In that amount of time you can make suffient water to carry you to the next battery charging session....unless you use an awfull lot of water...#8-)
jimisbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2007, 20:28   #29

24 nm is neither here nor there? Well it could be the difference between getting hammered, and hearing about someone else getting hammered 24 miles away......

Sean, do you really NEED a watermaker? I'd like one, but initially I don't think I will need one - not until we decide to live aboard full time anyway.What I am going to do is have a reasonable amount of tankage - probably around 700 litres, which I know is going to weigh 700kg when full, but the thing is, I wont always fill them. I am only likely to need 700 l when I have a boatload of family+friends aboard, and when that happens, I won't be crossing any oceans anyway, and I know I will be slow. (in multi terms)
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2007, 20:48   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat
Sean, do you really NEED a watermaker? I'd like one, but initially I don't think I will need one - not until we decide to live aboard full time anyway.What I am going to do is have a reasonable amount of tankage - probably around 700 litres, which I know is going to weigh 700kg when full, but the thing is, I wont always fill them. I am only likely to need 700 l when I have a boatload of family+friends aboard, and when that happens, I won't be crossing any oceans anyway, and I know I will be slow. (in multi terms)
Went through the same thought when deciding on 50 ft. LOA

40 ft cat with $10,000 watermaker,

or a 40 ft cat on 50 foot hull's costing $10,000 more dollars in material, and able to carry the extra water without loss of performance.

Not planning on using marina's made the choice easy.

Plus we can make water go a long way if it means extra time at that special spot

Dave