This is by way of a report back following my further investigations.
I confirmed the frequency was ok and then monitored the output voltage under various scenarios :
- No load it fluctuated between 270 -280V.
- Turning on the Mastevolt charger
had no effect, presumably because it recognised the input voltage was outside the acceptable range.
- Turning on the water
heater brought the voltage down to a more steady 220V.
- With the water
heater heater turned on it was then possible to successfully run the charger
and the voltage remained very steady at 220V.
-The charger then continued to run even if the water heater was turned off, with the voltage remaining steady at 220 - 230.
Note that the voltages above were taken using the analogue meter installed on the boat - it appeared to under read by about 10V when compared to testing with a digital meter at the generator output.
With a photo
tachometer I found that the revs were at 3230 RPM
as as opposed to the 3000 the manual called for. I thought that was not far off and was unlikely to be the cause of the problem......
I then put in a new capacitor, but with no effect.
So I then started to alter the RPM by adjusting the throttle lever which was previously fixed in place. I found that a relatively small change in RPM had quite a big impact on the voltage. I eventually fixed the RPM at 3150 which produced an output of 240V with no load, which dropped under load to a steady 230V.
I´m going to run it over the next few days to see if anything changes, but am hopeful that the issue is fixed.
But If anybody thinks that I have missed something or that I´m being too optimistic then please let me know!