Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2016, 16:41   #1

Boat: Bavaria Vision 46
Generator Location vs Model

I am installing a 6KW generator in my Bavaria Vision 46ft mono-hull and could use some guidance on placement location versus the generator model. I have a location in the far aft compartment, offset to the starboard side that will fit a Northern Lights 6KW unit and still give me access to other accessories in this area (watermaker, master AC breakers, etc). This is my preferred location for noise suppression, access for maintenance, and a large enough area to accommodate the NL model. My only concern is any issue with boat balance in that location. The NL generator weighs 420lbs dry. The boat weighs about 29K lbs loaded.

My only other option is a location in the starboard lazarette which is all storage on my two cabin boat. This would still be offset to the starboard side, but would be about 6ft forward of the far aft location. It's a tougher spot for regular maintenance access, but might help boat balance. The issue with this location is a max opening width of 19in that would push me to a Fisher Panda 6.5KW model. I have read several threads about issues with older versions. I am not sure how much they have improved lately, and am nervous about this brand.

Not installing a generator isn't an option for us. How much should I worry about the boat balance? Do any of you have generators installed offset of centerline, fully aft? Do you notice any issues?

Thanks for your help!
TheWingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 18:23   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 44DS
Re: Generator Location vs Model

Mine is in my port lazarette. No balance problems that I can tell. Big pain to work on though.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Garrettw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, model