Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2018, 12:25   #1

Boat: Beneteau 343
Generac GP2200I Generator

I know everyone loves Honda but does anyone have any experience with the Generac equivalent?
Generac Power Systems - 2200 watt GP Series Inverter Generator - 7117
Looking to power a small microwave, 13000 btu AC with softstart, and batt charger (not all at same time).
EmeraldCoastSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2018, 13:05   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Generac GP2200I Generator

I’ve seen them, and have experience with the larger house standby Generacs, which as near as I could tell were really well though out quality pieces of equipment.
Myself, I have a Honda, but concede that some of its price is for the name, my belief is it used to be pretty much better than anything else, but it will lose that lead, perhaps it already has.
I wouldn’t mind the Generac, problem is just $400 more buys the Honda.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2018, 14:20   #3

Boat: Beneteau 343

Just came across a Generac 3000 that comes with a 30A arrangement. It weighs just a bit more and is just a bit bigger than Honda and Generac 2200 but still looks very portable. $899; might be the weigh to go.
EmeraldCoastSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2018, 14:55   #4

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

Depends upon how much noise you (or your neighbors) can tolerate. Make sure you hear one of them run. Was at campground a few weeks ago and walked by a Honda, had to go back and touch it to see if it was running since it was so quiet
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2018, 16:00   #5

Boat: Lancer 44 Motor Sailer

We lived in Florida for 12 years and with the storms 15-20 years ago I bought a Generac
4K. It got us through 3-4 storm power outages. It ran O.K. but broke a rocker arm once.
The owner of a power equipment shop in Port Orange let me pull a rocker off a junk blown engine. Later on I bought a Gov surplus Lister/Petter 6.5 H.P. diesel on a 40 gal tank/trailer. Was used for heating tents in the desert. Had a nice blower and heat generator. I stripped off the blower/heater and built a frame to hold a Harbor freight 10K gen head coupling to engine shaft. It was the noisiest little engine I ever heard.
I sold it with the house but kept the Generac. Still have it and change out the fuel every year and test run when ever I remember. Since then I picked up a 6.5 K.W. Kubota lowboy. owner asked $1,200. in rough condition. Wifey talked him down to $775. and he loaded it in the pickup for me. Only needed a degreasing and a voltage regulator. also found a new Honda 2,000e show room unit for $750.
Boat has a 7.5 K.W. Onan. Got it running and it can power every thing on the boat. Not all at the same time. Did I mention I like generators. Like little toys to play with.
Diesel Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2018, 16:06   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I couldn’t find with a quick search it’s noise level, but I think it’s on par with the Honda.
I found this though that states most portables noise output, however it’s the old models, Honda 2000, Generac 2000, but I bet it’s still close.
However you should note that decibels are not linear, 50 decibels is not twice as loud as 25 decibels, I believe it’s a lot more than that.
The reason I believe is that our ears do not hear linearly, if they did we couldn’t hear a pin drop and not be deafened by lightning, or that’s my understanding.
https://generatorgrid.com/quiet/
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2018, 06:00   #7
Zil

It isn't always the noise level. next down has a 1000i honda. During a walk in ambient sounds, I could not tell it was running. But later when I'm bedded the steady drone was very much in evidence.
Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2018, 20:59   #8

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

If memory serves me 4 dB is double the sound pressure
Old 09-05-2019, 08:45   #9

Well if you are looking for alternatives of honda i would say generac is good as its a low noise generator.

but on an average if you will see the output wattage it is suitable for normal home appliances.

The good factor is while if was reading this article : https://www.bestgeneratorsguide.com/quiet-generators/

And found that it has been listed among the top quietest ones. low noise is important thing to consider.
robertmclin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 03:46   #10

I have dealt with generator for 25 years. Generac is a good brand but there are better alternatives to the one you mentioned.

I would suggest any of these over the Generac Power Systems - 2200 watt GP Series Inverter Generator - 7117:

https://www.generatorwhiz.com/best-p...ter-generator/
Old 12-09-2019, 21:49   #11

Boat: 36 ft 1977 Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCoastSailor View Post
I know everyone loves Honda but does anyone have any experience with the Generac equivalent?
Generac Power Systems - 2200 watt GP Series Inverter Generator - 7117
Looking to power a small microwave, 13000 btu AC with softstart, and batt charger (not all at same time).
The Honda is a inverter sine wave type generator that has electronic built into it to keep power stable and clean. The Honda is regarded as the quietest and best. However, they do have some competition from Yamaha, Generac and Hyundai to name a few for this same class of generator.

From my experience, I must say that Generac is a very good alternative. Ours Generac GP2200i (2200 watt as well) is a super quiet model (+ we added extra insulation). Here's a comparison of noise level to Onan (which is not fair) - please, don't mind "the quietest ever" in the article's title, only numbers are relevant. Back to my impression, not much noise, even comparing to my friend's Honda, and sometimes I even have had to step outside to figure out whether the generator is running or the power is back on.
j_morrison is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator