Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2013, 09:47   #1

Gen engine does not run

re Cummins Onan 17kva Gen. approx 3600 hrs.
I have had gen exceed fixed revs and on two successive occasions red pop out button caused shutdown. Gen engine does not run now, I can get it to start, but it soon shuts down. I can confirm that if a direct 12v supply is connected to fuel pump motor runs constantly. I wish to know what is causing this electrical control problem? Anyone out there any ideas> Boat is recently bought, no manuals are available on board and No electrical diagrams for generator protective control systems available. Tks Bobichan http://www.cruisersforum.com/images/smilies/frown.gif
Verobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2013, 12:56   #2

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'
What make and model of gen?
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2013, 07:07   #3

Re: Gen engine does not run

dear Sailmonkey... Make is "Cummins - Onan" Model 17kva Control Box (on top of Generator ) has M>>>>>>>>> something(sorry I am not on board and will revert with nos. later)
It is older type, i.e. not digital display and the problem seems to be something to do with over - reving of motor and "red" push out/in button control. Engine over-revved twice and on each occaSION RED BUTTON SHUT-DOWN MOTOR., ON SECOND AND CURRENTLY ENGINE STARTS, BUT DOES NOT RUN , ONBLY FOR A FEW SECONDS WITHOUT A direct , batt to fuel pump 12 v supply. Something in the control-side is denying the motor its correct voltage.Thanks your interest any advice gladly received. Verobob
Verobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2013, 07:16   #4

Location: Behind the garlic curtain - east central Saskatchewan
Boat: Baylurker 2755
The best place to post this type of question is on the SmokStak diesel forum in the onan genset section. Lots of really smart guys there. Over there you'll get answers - here you'll get guesses.
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine