We have been cruising the past 3 months and for the first time we are connected to shore power
. So, wanting toasted bagels we got out the toaster and I took the smoke detector/carbon monoxide detector off the wall to avoid having the toaster setting off the alarm
. And I put it back in the aft cabin
Within a few minutes the carbon monoxide alarm
was going off. No engines running and nothing I could think about that would cause carbon monoxide, but I called a plumber anyway. He came out with his good Carbon Monoxide detector and it went into the highest levels (almost 1000 ppm, when 30 ppm is considered the high safe limit.)
A little tracing and we found it was coming from the batteries. We have Trojan 105 lead acid batteries. It registers high when the batteries are charging
and when they are not charging
(but had been charged in the past 12 hours.)
Checking today I see our charger
is not working correctly, but staying on absorbtion and putting in 14.5 volts even when the batteries are 100%. It isn't going to float.
So, is that the problem? Even though the plumbing
guy said the detector only senses carbon monoxide I have to guess that it also somehow measures Hydrogen? Or can batteries produce other gases?
I went to another boat also with trojan batteries and used the professional detector and his gave a low 20 ppm.
Do you think this problem will go away when I get the charger
fixed so it does not overcharge the batteries. Or can there be another problem?
For now we have moved to the foreward cabin
Any other ideas or comments? Thank you very much...sorry for the long rambling message.