Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2010, 14:30   #1

Boat: Pilgrim 40 LIBERTY
Galvanic Isolator Wiring

Instructions with galvanic isolators are pretty straight forward. Insert the isolator on the ground between the boat and shore power. It seems to get more complicated when a generator and inverter is thrown into the mix.

During the re-wiring of our trawler, I found that the ground from the output of the genset as well the ground from the output from the inverter was wired into the shore side of the galvanic isolator. For some reason that seems backwards to me. I would expect that these items should simply be grounded to the overall boat ground as that is the way it would be set up sans galvanic isolator. A pdf file of how I think things should be wired is attached.

What say the experts?

Regards,

Dave
Pilgrim 40
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 120v_circuit_revised.pdf (52.6 KB, 180 views)
pilgrim_40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2010, 14:56   #2

The trawler in question has a GRP hull.

Dave
Pilgrim 40
Old 20-12-2010, 15:06   #3

Boat: 1999 Steel (Tom Collin's design)
I took back my eailer post.

Basicly, it doesn't matter what kind of hull you have for which side the galvanic isolator the gen set attachs to. The shore side of the connection, and the generator and invetor need to be on oppsite sides of the galvanic isolator if it's to have a chance at working. From there you need to attach the gen set and the isolator to the proper grounding bar on the breaker pannel.

The question about what kind of hull, is it bonded, and what not depends on how do you attach the multipul grounds, or do you attach the grounds. There are HUGE discussions on CF as far as what to do with your 4 grounding systems, with diffrences between European, and American standards. If your boat was grounded so poorly to start with, it might be worth taking the time to wade through the discussions, and figure out what system you actualy have, and which you think you should have.

btw, for some reason, when I try to download the attachment, it say's it's corrupted.
ViribusUnitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2010, 15:59   #4

Ok, the boat was wired backwards.
The only ground on the shore side of the isolator should be shore power.

The .pdf file seems to download and display correctly using Google Chrome or IE 8. I do have Adobe 8 Reader on my computer however.

Thanks.

Tags
galvanic isolator