Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2016, 09:23   #1

Boat: Hanse 348
Fuses or Breakers

I need to finalize my solar install, and need some help on mundane practical issues. Attached is a block diagram of what I am doing. I have 2 285 watt panels, with 2 mppt controllers.

1. For ease of trouble shooting, I would like to have 2 switches (or maybe breakers) between each panel and each controller. This is just to shut off flow. Can anyone recommend brand or device for this.

2. My next question is to whether to run the output of each controller to the battery, or to a bus bar, then a single wire to the battery. I can use 8 or 6 gauge wire, it is 30" run max

3. I would also like to have a switch between the controller and the battery, but in this case, I also need to fuse/breaker to protect the wire. So they could be one of the same. If I use a fuse at the battery terminal:

a. would I put both wires on the same battery terminal post with this product https://www.bluesea.com/products/215...k_-_30_to_300A

b. I can use one of these breakers, but it is not at the battery (25A protects the controller, but not the wire, would need either a larger A to do both, or fuse the wire at the battery terminal at 60A) https://www.bluesea.com/products/708...anel_Mount_25A

c. I could put each wire with a regular breaker as a switch (or a switch), then to a bus bar, then lead a single wire from the bus bar to the battery, and fuse it there?

Each mppt controller is putting out 20A max @ 12V. The other picture is what the physical location of the battery and above the battery , on the wood to the left of the ACR/charger will go the mppt controllers. This is a short run, about 30" from mppt to battery post, but if I use a breaker, I would probably want to lead it outside the berth compartment and back to the battery like the windlass. The wires you see at the bottom of the battery are coming back from the switches on the outside of the compartment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160323_113156.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	236.0 KB
ID:	121324   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160320_132212.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	383.0 KB
ID:	121325  

jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags