Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2016, 04:48   #1

Boat: Moody 376
Fused battery connector Up to the task?

Hi Folks,

I came across this in a auto parts shop. Am I right in thinking that this cube style fuse will be suitable for putting on my engine battery +ve to protect the cabling?

Your thoughts appreciated.

Cheers,

James
sharpey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 05:20   #2

Boat: Sabre 38
Re: Fused battery connector Up to the task?

It looks a lot like the BlueSea fuse, that is for sure.

https://www.bluesea.com/products/519...k_-_30_to_300A

That said, why not just order ones you know are made for boats for $25? It is important that the fuse not create sparks if it is blown. Is your off brand auto parts store ignition protected like this? Unless the packaging give you this information (and it matches a well know brand like BlueSea) I wouldn't trust it.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

s/v Carpe Ventum
1983 Sabre 38
My Intro
fallingeggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 06:35   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingeggs View Post
It looks a lot like the BlueSea fuse, that is for sure.

https://www.bluesea.com/products/519...k_-_30_to_300A

That said, why not just order ones you know are made for boats for $25? It is important that the fuse not create sparks if it is blown. Is your off brand auto parts store ignition protected like this? Unless the packaging give you this information (and it matches a well know brand like BlueSea) I wouldn't trust it.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Agree with all the above. I have the Blue Sea systems fuses and they work perfectly. Large fuse on the staring battery (forget exactly but around 250 amp) and a 50 amp on the house batteries. Quick and easy to change.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 06:46   #4

Boat: Moody 376

The issue I have is a height one... I don't think i'll be able to fit a bluesea one on...

Forgive me for being silly, but the spark issue when the fuse blows... how nasty can it be? considering battery is not near engine, engine is diesel etc...
sharpey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 06:57   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpey View Post
The issue I have is a height one... I don't think i'll be able to fit a bluesea one on...

Forgive me for being silly, but the spark issue when the fuse blows... how nasty can it be? considering battery is not near engine, engine is diesel etc...
Considering it's diesel, if you have no other risk factors (dinghy gas or propane which of course would have to be below and you probably would never do such an insane thing) then I wouldn't be overly concerned about sparking.

If I recall, Blue Seas also makes an inline or remote fuse for this application. However I see you're in Singapore which might make the one you've found more attractive if it's available locally.

As I think about it, the Blue Seas fuse holder doesn't really project much if any at all higher than the battery post but I'm not certain about that. Will look at it when I'm on the boat next, probably tomorrow, and report back.
Old 04-08-2016, 07:05   #6

Boat: Sabre 38

Take a look at this entire article by Maine Sail. For the fuse blowing up problem, see the April 3, 2013 post.

Battery Bank Fusing Photo Gallery by Compass Marine How To at pbase.com

As GordMay has said: Risk = Frequency (probability) x Severity (consequence). Take how much risk you want, but the standard is for ignition protected fuses for a reason. Maybe a hyper-conservative reason, but a reason nevertheless.

Does the auto part fuse allow you to confirm the trip delay and in rush current that Maine Sail discusses?

If height is a problem, maybe use an ANL fuse? But then you might not have the fuse within 7 inches of the post. Catch-22.

Another point on the auto store fuse... how easy is it to get replacements? Maybe if you can buy a few to hold on to, it won't matter.

s/v Carpe Ventum
1983 Sabre 38
My Intro
fallingeggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 09:16   #7

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

On a house battery Ok. Have the cables as short as possible on the engine battery. No way in hell would I want it fused.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 09:32   #8

Boat: Catalina 387

The Blue Sea holders do add some height to the terminals. I put a pair in a Skipjack I rewired and had to cut down the post a bit to make em fit.

If I would have seen that post adapter in a car parts store I would have bought it and used Blue Sea fuses in it.

I use ANLs on my boat because of the height problem with the square Blue Sea ones.

I would never want an unfused battery anywhere on a boat. Start OR house. Just use appropriate sized fuses.
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 09:51   #9

Boat: Oday Mariner 19 , Four Winns Marquis 16 OB, Kingfisher III
Send a message via Skype™ to Colin A

Looks to be a knockoff of the Bussmann fuse (now Eaton) used by Blue sea. I don't see Buss on the markings so likely not a real one. It really depends some of those knock off fuses are OK and others have issues when they fail. Kind of hard to tell unless you can figure out who made it.
Old 04-08-2016, 10:08   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
On a house battery Ok. Have the cables as short as possible on the engine battery. No way in hell would I want it fused.
Why not? The fuses don't blow under normal use and if one does I can swap it out in about 30 seconds. This type of fuse is slow blow so a short inrush current to the starter won't blow them. In fact they will handle a significant overload for several seconds before blowing but still protect the boat from fire.

I've had my starter battery fused for a few years and never had a problem. Would a lot rather have a fuse pop than the starter battery cable short and start a fire although I do go through an On/Off switch as well.

In my experience, I have had a lot more trouble with battery switches than fuses. For additional opinions

"The net result is that nowadays, electrical shorts are probably the number-one cause of fires on boats. There is simply no excuse for not protecting all high-current circuits, including the cranking circuit." (From the Nigel Calder Cruising Handbook)

Or read the full write-up by Maine Sail (who if I recall, is a member of the ABYC, tests and helps write the standards for marine electrical) here Battery Bank Fusing Photo Gallery by Compass Marine How To at pbase.com
Old 04-08-2016, 10:09   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepbluetj View Post
I would never want an unfused battery anywhere on a boat. Start OR house. Just use appropriate sized fuses.
Old 04-08-2016, 10:16   #12

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Looks to me that it will probably work, at least for a while. Given the minimal dollars saved and the potentially high cost of problems, I see this as a penny wise move and will cheerfully pay for something designed for the marine environment. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 10:59   #13

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37' Catamaran

I would hesitate to use the automotive post terminal as it isn't as secure as a directly bolted solution. If you can bolt on then the blue sea ( aka Cooper Busman: See Pg67 of http://www.cooperindustries.com/cont...talog-2013.pdf ) solution is actually more elegant and less prone to becoming loose.

Geoff.
geoffr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 11:06   #14

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Why not? The fuses don't blow under normal use and if one does I can swap it out in about 30 seconds. This type of fuse is slow blow so a short inrush current to the starter won't blow them. In fact they will handle a significant overload for several seconds before blowing but still protect the boat from fire.

I've had my starter battery fused for a few years and never had a problem. Would a lot rather have a fuse pop than the starter battery cable short and start a fire although I do go through an On/Off switch as well.

In my experience, I have had a lot more trouble with battery switches than fuses. For additional opinions

"The net result is that nowadays, electrical shorts are probably the number-one cause of fires on boats. There is simply no excuse for not protecting all high-current circuits, including the cranking circuit." (From the Nigel Calder Cruising Handbook)

Or read the full write-up by Maine Sail (who if I recall, is a member of the ABYC, tests and helps write the standards for marine electrical) here Battery Bank Fusing Photo Gallery by Compass Marine How To at pbase.com
Why not? Maybe I am paranoid. I just wouldn't want to have to look for a fuse if I needed to start in a pinch. A short + lead if dressed well is not likely to chafe and ground. It may not be the fuse but corrosion at the added contact points. Again, JMHO
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 12:24   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Why not? Maybe I am paranoid. I just wouldn't want to have to look for a fuse if I needed to start in a pinch. A short + lead if dressed well is not likely to chafe and ground. It may not be the fuse but corrosion at the added contact points. Again, JMHO
Do you run the starter battery cable to a switch before the starter? Over the years I've had way more trouble with switches but I wouldn't connect a battery to a starter without a switch because I have had starter solenoids stick more than once. I know exactly where the spare fuse is kept and again, it's an easy 30 second swap to put in a new one, but several years and never needed one.

Regarding corrosion, the Blue Seas fuses are pretty well put together and so far they have stayed a lot cleaner than the battery cable ends.

Sometimes I feel pretty paranoid myself. I wired my switches so with one throw I can crank the engine from the house batteries in a emergency, just in case. I just feel a lot safer with a fuse on anything straight to the battery and all available information indicates the downside in this case is about as low as it can get. Yes my run is very short, far from any chafe points or moving parts but you know, sometimes shirt happens and a fuse is cheap insurance.

Tags
battery