Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2016, 07:34   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Fuel Pressure for Kohler 6.5EFOZ Generator

It looks like the fuel pump on my Kohler generator has died. This happened about the same time that the fuel line nipple pulled out of the fuel filter housing. There are the first technical faults I’ve had with this generator not caused by operator error, which I think it tremendously good considering the generator is 15 years old and now has 2000 hours on it (160 when I bought the boat 7 years ago).

The fuel pump is a Carter rotary vane electric pump of a common type, in production for half a century. The round one with three bolts on the top, and the funky WWII military style electrical connectors on the bottom. This one:

Name:   CarterP4070.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  3.5 KB

They are not all that expensive from Kohler, but the UK distributor doesn’t have them in stock. So why not just buy a Carter one? They are available here.

The only problem is that I don’t know the fuel pressure – they come in several different flavors. The most common type is the P4070, which delivers fuel at 4-6 psi.

This is good for carburetors – I used a pump like this on a BMW 2002ti I owned a million years ago, with Weber carbs. But I have no idea what the little Yanmar needs. The Yanmar engine is a three-cylinder, 1000cc, 3TNE74.

Anyone have any idea?
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 07:47   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Fuel Pressure for Kohler 6.5EFOZ Generator

Shouldn't really matter as its only job is to ensure the HP pump gets fuel under pressure and therefore won't suffer damage from cavitation, 5 PSI is sort of common for this duty, but higher wouldn't hurt either.
Going from memory from my Youth Holley carbs wanted 5 to 7 PSI fuel pressure I think, so I think that pressure will be the most available for a fuel pump.

Pretty sure those Cater pumps that will look identical to each other can be had for fuel flows from 50 GPH to over 100 GPH, doubt you need to pay for the big boy though, 50 is of course way overkill.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, generator