Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 01-05-2014, 07:58   #31

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Fried Battery Question

Back in the day a Jim Bob redneck way or "reconditioning" batteries was to drain them completely and then with them up-side down flush out each cell as well as you could with a water hose and re-fill with acid, theory being to flush out whatever sulphates or whatever it was that built up on the bottom and shorted out the plates, new acid of course to get the specific gravity back up.
It often worked, but I'm uncertain how much actual capacity you had, enough to start farm equipment for another year or two anyway.
But I think more modern batteries have thinner plates, and how do you dispose of all the acid and "stuff" you flush out now?

Did you know aircraft battery acid has a higher specific gravity than automotive battery acid? Presumably to get more power out of a lighter battery

Old 01-05-2014, 10:26   #32
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

In my mind you have to be serious cheap or serious crazy to risk folk lore methods to try to save/recondition a dead battery! If it doesn't come back to life after a full equalize charge get rid of it. The cost of ONE battery isn't worth the cost of losing the rest of your battery bank, an electrical fire, the lost of your whole boat, the electrical equipment connected to the battery, your eyes and face when it explodes in your face, or worst!

But that is just me

Old 01-05-2014, 18:22   #33

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

That was back in my younger days, and on farm equipment, cheap cars as a teenager who had rather spend meager funds on something other than a battery.
I'm not abdicating it now, as I said what do you do with all the waste acid etc now?
Old 01-05-2014, 18:38   #34
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van DeStat Super Dogger 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
That was back in my younger days, and on farm equipment, cheap cars as a teenager who had rather spend meager funds on something other than a battery.
I'm not abdicating it now, as I said what do you do with all the waste acid etc now?
The good old days eh - remember them well
Another trick (?) was to short out the battery with old file or whatever hoping there was enough oomph left in the battery to blow apart the crud causing the issue but not enough to blow the darn thing up in your face. IME, this worked about 5% of the time. We seemed to know however to get the hell away when the battery started boiling .

Time moves on, we became wiser...

Now I don't even keep Epsom salts on board
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 18:49   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I wouldn't abdicate unless I was Prince of Wales.

I do advocate the end of kings & queens, except for the UK.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, (Maple Bay Marina) SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 21:13   #36
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Epsom salts: Proof that there are still dogs on the internet, along with turnips, as in "turnips for brains".

A thousand years ago when Ray-o-vac had that astounding new technology, a paper strip over the positive end of their D-cells to ensure they were unused and fresh, the "boys books" showed you how to rejuvenate batteries. Of course, they were all carbon zinc batteries, and the case was zinc. You punched it full of holes and soaked it in sal ammoniac(?) to rejuvenate the gunk inside and then you could use it again. But that was for what, flashlights and a couple of games that needed batteries?

I wouldn't be surprised to find out the folks who make Epsom salts were behind all that stuff, trying to create a market for a product that no one buys any more. (Honest, you have to pull teeth to find it at drugstores these days.)

a64-
The sp.g. of the electrolyte is also related to the intended temperature range a battery will be used at. I *thought* the "tropical" batteries had the higher sp.g. than the "temperate" ones but maybe aircraft batteries are also designed with the extreme cold of altitude in mind? And higher sp.g. helps performance in the cold?
Dunno, just that a battery distributor coupla years ago told me that batteries intended for "hot" markets were in fact filled differently.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:16   #37

Boat: O’Day Daysailer II, 17'

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
The sp.g. of the electrolyte is also related to the intended temperature range a battery will be used at. I *thought* the "tropical" batteries had the higher sp.g. than the "temperate" ones...
About information on batteries from a thousand years ago, I have a Dykes Automotive Encyclopedia written in the early 1920s that says the electrolyte is around 28% sulfuric acid for tropics and 32% in the temperate zone.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:44   #38
One of Those

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Catalac 12M

Insurance Company is Offshore Risk Management out of Florida.

One of the reasons we went with them in the first place was because I could get coverage here, in the hurricane belt, during season. We just have to haul the boat for named storms, then right back in the water if we want.

and acid is useful here. Nice to sculpt driveways with etc. We're living on a hill of solid limestone. No problem to dump it wherever we want a hole or to smooth a rock.
Old 05-05-2014, 22:02   #39
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Offshore Risk Management is an insurance broker, not an insurer. They represent several companies. Perhaps they can find you another underwriter?

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: