Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2012, 06:43   #1

Boat: Tayana 42
Freedom 25 Charger and Honda EU2000i Generator

Hi, Friends of ours lent us their Honda Eu2000i charger. We have a Freedom 25 Battery charger. The Freedom 25 Battery charger has AC power settings of 5, 20, 30 amps and "Disabled".

If I set the power setting to 20 amps, the honda EU2000 ends up with a power overload because it tries to put out 20 amps when it is rated for a max of 16. If I set it to 5 amps, it works at 5 amps, which doesn't charge the batteries quickly. It would be wonderful if the battery charger had 10/15 amps max power settings as well but it doesn't.

So, just wondering if there is any way to either limit the Honda EU2000i so it doesn't put out more than 10 amps AC? Is there any equipement out there I can put between the Honda EU2000 and the 30 amp outlet that would max out the draw on the EU2000i to about 10-12 amps? We are probably going to end up buying a generator, and Yamaha or Honda is at the top of my list, but I really would like to have it put out more amps with my battery charger if possible....

Thanks!
msulc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:24   #2

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34
Re: Freedom 25 Charger and Honda EU2000i Generator

I had exactly the same problem. The Honda will put out 16 amps but not continuously. The continuous rating is 13 amps and unfortunately the Freedom 25 doesn't have a 10 amp setting which would be ideal.

So I installed a separate battery charger- an IOTA model DLS-55/IQ4. It has a maximum AC current draw of 13.4 amps which will work fine with the Honda EU2000i. Most boats were delivered with some sort of AC charger (in addition to or instead of the Freedom inverter). So just install the new charger in place of the old. You might have to upgrade the DC wiring to at least 8 gauge. Or if you still have the old charger it might work as well. Many boats were delivered with 40 amp chargers which should stay well below the 13 amp spec.

But be aware that everything else and I mean every other AC breaker must be off, otherwise you will overload the Honda.

And back to your original question- no there isn't anything that you can put in between the Honda and your power input to limit current, other than a fuse.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 08:12   #3

Darn! Thanks for the input!
Old 11-01-2012, 09:05   #4

Boat: C&C Landfall 39 center cockpit "Anahita"

It is not necessary or advisable to replace your Freedom 25. The real problem is that the Freedom charger delivers battery current from the peaks of the input waveform which places a heavy "aparent" load on a small generator. Merely ADD another charger of the "switch-mode" low harmonic distortion type of charger. The Iota is one such type.

Low harmonic distortion chargers extract current from the entire input waveform without distorting it. Sine wave inverter/chargers also do this, in general.

Keep in mind that the Freedom is a charger, an inverter, and a transfer switch. If you add another charger which is used with a small generator there is no danger to anything in the system regardless wether or not you disable the Freedom charger when using the generator. If both chargers are on when using shore power the charger having the highest charge voltage set point will deliver charge current while the other charger will shut off charging current. That fact means that only in the bulk charge mode will both chargers deliver rated current.
Old 16-08-2012, 20:50   #5

I've got a Freedom 20 and when I hook up my Honda eu2000i to the standard shore power socket, the shore power light on the switch panel comes on and the charger starts up. After several seconds the shore power breaker switch flips and I'm no longer charging but the generator is still running. I also noticed that the AC volt meter was only at 60 and a reverse polarity light on the panel was on; any ideas on whats up with that?

msulc, the thread starter, said he was able to change the Freedom amp setting to 5 and charge the bats that way. Where were you able to change the settings on the Freedom to accept a lower amp for charging?

Also is that advisable if I'm only using that lower amp setting when charging with the honda? Or is there another way to set it up? The switch panel looks like it was wired for a generator as it has a switch for generator as well as shore power but I don't know where to plug the generator in to make that work.

Thanks,
J
jboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2012, 22:25   #6

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

simple !get a 3000 honda !! a little heavier, but will do the job !! just a thought
Old 17-08-2012, 03:38   #7

There are dip switches on the back of the remote control panel that control the amperage. The manual stated what settings to change.

I think running the generator at that low of a setting wouldn't hurt anything, but it means you would have to run it three times as long than if you had a different battery charger.
Old 17-08-2012, 13:14   #8

I think I'm able to adjust it at the remote panel. at least I can change which leds are lit on the display. theres a 5 15 20 30 and 50.

Do I need to actually flip the dip switches?

Quote:
Originally Posted by msulc View Post
There are dip switches on the back of the remote control panel that control the amperage. The manual stated what settings to change.

I think running the generator at that low of a setting wouldn't hurt anything, but it means you would have to run it three times as long than if you had a different battery charger.
Old 17-08-2012, 13:55   #9
Eternal Member

On the remote panel for the Freedom 20 there should be 8 dip switches. These are all OFF by default.

Switches #7 and #8 control what Xantrex calls, "Power Sharing", i.e., reduction of the amount of AC current to be drawn while charging.

If you switch both #7 and #8 to ON, the charger will draw a maximum of 5 amps. That's clearly within the capability of the Honda EU2000i.

If you switch only #8 to ON, the charger will draw a maximum of 15 amps. That exceeds the continuous current capability of the Honda, but might be OK after charging your batteries a while, since they will then accept less current.

This is a kludge workaround. Best solution would be to get yourself an Iota DLS-55/IQ4 or a DLS-75/IQ4. These are very reasonably priced.

The Honda EU2000i can handle either of these chargers, and you'll get a much faster charge into your batteries.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2012, 14:01   #10

I read that in the manual too. on my remote panel I have a power share button that allows me to toggle between the 5 15 20 30 50 but I'm guessing I might have to manually flip the 7 and 8 switch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors View Post
On the remote panel for the Freedom 20 there should be 8 dip switches. These are all OFF by default.

Switches #7 and #8 control what Xantrex calls, "Power Sharing", i.e., reduction of the amount of AC current to be drawn while charging.

If you switch both #7 and #8 to ON, the charger will draw a maximum of 5 amps. That's clearly within the capability of the Honda EU2000i.

If you switch only #8 to ON, the charger will draw a maximum of 15 amps. That exceeds the continuous current capability of the Honda, but might be OK after charging your batteries a while, since they will then accept less current.

This is a kludge workaround. Best solution would be to get yourself an Iota DLS-55/IQ4 or a DLS-75/IQ4. These are very reasonably priced.

The Honda EU2000i can handle either of these chargers, and you'll get a much faster charge into your batteries.

Bill
Old 17-08-2012, 15:04   #11

My remote control panel isn't the same as the one in the manual I think its the advanced version or whatever because I can't access dip switches. I think I was changing the settings between 5 and 15 with the power share button but I think that nether setting is very good for the 13amps that the eu2000 is outputting. So I can't run the water heater for more than a couple minutes. bummer

I also don't think I'll be able to do more than top the bats off because its seems to need more power to get them over 14V. I suppose that's not the end of the world though. just disappointing.

Is the DLS-75/IQ4 set up better for the eu2000 as far as amp draw? otherwise why would I switch to a new $275 charger when I could just get a 12V DC charger for $25?
Old 17-08-2012, 16:06   #12
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jboats View Post
Is the DLS-75/IQ4 set up better for the eu2000 as far as amp draw? otherwise why would I switch to a new $275 charger when I could just get a 12V DC charger for $25?
I don't know what 12V DC charger for $25 you're talking about, but I can assure you that there's no charger on the market as capable and economical as the Iota.

You must be referring to an unregulated automotive-type charger....NO WAY do you want to put one of those on your boat unless you're bent on killing your batteries.

The 75A Iota is the largest charger which the EU200i can handle. With the IQ4 option, it's a "smart charger" and typically puts out slightly more than its rating for extended periods of time.

There are several other good marine chargers on the market, but they tend to cost $350-$550 for one with similar output capability.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2012, 16:18   #13

Isnt the Honda 2000 a 12 volt unit, inverted to 120v? I thought they had direct 12V out capability?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2012, 16:31   #14

It does but people are saying its not enough amps and is really slow for charging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Isnt the Honda 2000 a 12 volt unit, inverted to 120v? I thought they had direct 12V out capability?
Old 17-08-2012, 16:35   #15

Definitely don't wanna do that. I was referring to this charger:

Amazon.com: Battery Tender 022-0165-DL-WH 12-Volt 2-Bank Battery Management System: Automotive

It says its perfect for AGM if thats to be believed?? I liked it because it can handle both banks at once. You think not so good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors View Post
I don't know what 12V DC charger for $25 you're talking about, but I can assure you that there's no charger on the market as capable and economical as the Iota.

You must be referring to an unregulated automotive-type charger....NO WAY do you want to put one of those on your boat unless you're bent on killing your batteries.

Bill

Tags
charger, freedom 25, generator, honda eu2000