Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2017, 09:46   #16

Re: Free Open Source Advance Battery Monitor System

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtomanov View Post
I already have a NASA battery monitor and in teh end it is not about teh price but teh useless of the of the shelf onces ( at liast for me) picture attached - 14.8v < 1v consumption with 440ah bank and 90% only showing charged battery ! in brief the volts and amps are displayed OK, but the charge stage is useless ...
ANY meter determining battery state of charge by integrating amps is going to be very bad at determining State Of Charge (SOC) UNLESS the batteries are fully charged each cycle, and the meter is smart enough to recognize that, and reset itself to 100%

On most boats that are actually away from the dock, a true 100% charge is a rare event, so the SOC reported by any amp integrating meter gets further and further from reality with each cycle.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2017, 10:18   #17
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
On most boats that are actually away from the dock, a true 100% charge is a rare event
True, but doesn't have to be that way, not hard nor that expensive to get to 100% Full every day with a genny + some solar.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2017, 10:48   #18

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Liberty 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
ANY meter determining battery state of charge by integrating amps is going to be very bad at determining State Of Charge (SOC) UNLESS the batteries are fully charged each cycle, and the meter is smart enough to recognize that, and reset itself to 100%

On most boats that are actually away from the dock, a true 100% charge is a rare event, so the SOC reported by any amp integrating meter gets further and further from reality with each cycle.
The picture is with fully charged battery - the boat was at the marine 2 days and the battery has been charged to full every night...

btw: the Open Source Baterry Monitor is addresing this especially as described in thr functionallity :

"- proper calculation of battery bank state of charge ( with correction when volts are over 14 and no consumption or charge, when no consumption or charge for 1min also charge state correction based on voltage) and when charge state is corrected - auto calculation of lost coefficient while charging - e.g. when you charge there is a loss e.g. to have 1ah to discharge in average you need to charge 1.25ah)"

also - the code is OPEN and FREE everyone can add/change to his own logic and experiment with it - the logic currently implemented is the best one that I found based on theory and practical experience.
vtomanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2017, 12:33   #19

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

Yesterday I browsed on Banggood site

Plenty of AC and DC multimeters , between 8 to 19eur each, and up to 300A
I think to buy plenty of, and control EACH HOUSE BANK BATTERY, and a few most absorbing lines (fridge, inverter) and chargers (solar, wind, may be DC battery charger (l will test for it)...

on engine bank, with high CCA, no way

Sure, l feel happy for having bought NO overpriced marine equipment :-)
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2017, 12:36   #20
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThunderbird View Post
I think to buy plenty of, and control EACH HOUSE BANK BATTERY,]and most absorbing lines (fridge, inverter)

Sorry I don't understand this
Old 22-10-2017, 12:51   #21

Quote:
Yesterday I browsed on Banggood site

Plenty of AC and DC multimeters , between 8 to 19eur each, and up to 300A
I think to buy plenty of, and control EACH HOUSE BANK BATTERY, and a few most absorbing lines (fridge, inverter) and chargers (solar, wind, may be DC battery charger (l will test for it)...

Sure, l feel happy for having bought NO overpriced marine equipment :-)
yep you can that's a good option

be careful some of them do not do a good job at all...

I can sugest this one - I have one myself and works perfectly you just need to run from one place to another and stick it and take a look and no history of usage or battery state

MASTECH MS2108A AC DC Current Clamp Meter Digital Multimeter P3T4 | eBay
Old 22-10-2017, 12:54   #22

Quote:

actually I have measured it before installing my 12v/20ah LiFePo4 start battery - does incredable job the last 3 years so far - start a lot better then 96ah wet battery and can turn the starter for longer

but just FYI back to the point a starter motor will consume between 200amps and 300amps for about a second and next go down to 90-120amps max
Old 22-10-2017, 12:57   #23

btw FYI also : the worst consumer is the windlass - will comnsume about 10ah to 15ah from your battery bank for bringing up the anchor
Old 22-10-2017, 13:26   #24

Quote:
yes the gauge (client) side shoudl be able to be done ...

but for the server side - not sure especially with my future plan to get a bigger display 3.5-inch LCD touch screen - 480x320 - to make the whole thing look a lot nicer

one other option will be to run a simple private LoRA WAN on the - which inevitably will happened with all things on board overtime ...
What about a DC-BUS ? Seem a perfect match
http://www.yamar.com/datasheet/DS-SIG61.pdf
http://www.yamar.com/datasheet/DS-SIG60.pdf
did-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2017, 14:18   #25

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

VTO, Malajiz....spasiba Bolshoi.

If I may ask...how did you figure this all out? Are you mechanic...engineer...just a guy who likes to get down to the fine details?

I will be doing a complete installation on my 30 footer in the winter...my boat has the most rudimentary system you can imagine. So, this is timely information for me. Zamechatzina...Sorry...no cryllic keyboard...
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2017, 15:08   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by did-g View Post
hmmm sounds interesting driving the communication over the 12 power lines instead of radio/wireless .... I will need to find some more usefull format to test it with PCB and all teh connestions on pins , also need to asses if the separation diods can affect the commmunication...
Old 22-10-2017, 15:12   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansmith View Post
VTO, Malajiz....spasiba Bolshoi.

If I may ask...how did you figure this all out? Are you mechanic...engineer...just a guy who likes to get down to the fine details?

I will be doing a complete installation on my 30 footer in the winter...my boat has the most rudimentary system you can imagine. So, this is timely information for me. Zamechatzina...Sorry...no cryllic keyboard...
Thanks

FYI : to replay to your question : I'm a software engineer - London/UK based as a day job developing software and leading a team of developpers building and supporting extream performance messaging systems for investment banking industry but enjoying developing small extras for my sailing boat
Old 22-10-2017, 15:27   #28
cruiser

Quote:
yep you can that's a good option

be careful some of them do not do a good job at all...

I can sugest this one - I have one myself and works perfectly you just need to run from one place to another and stick it and take a look and no history of usage or battery state

MASTECH MS2108A AC DC Current Clamp Meter Digital Multimeter P3T4 | eBay
The specs say doesn't measure low amps, range 40-400A ?
Old 22-10-2017, 17:48   #29

Boat: Roberts 45

Quote:
In brief: I got really annoyed with the standard battery monitors that are in general completly useless except showing current volts and amps ( amps not very correct usually) costs a fortune, dificult to install cables to lay etc. following is a description of a completly working open source - free project - everyoine who is interested and want to build one for himself I'm happy to help with advice and everything needed ...
Excellent approach, Vasko!

Quite impressive how you manage to implement everything with just breakout boards and jump wires. And yes, current accuracy is quite a challenge, especially over a range of three magnitudes (say, from 10mA to 50A). We might try the Kalman filter in our vessel mgmt project as well, I'm just waiting for the latest board revision to arrive today.

All the best and keep us posted on your progress!

https://www.timantra.net
hzcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2017, 00:22   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
The specs say doesn't measure low amps, range 40-400A ?
There are two settings for measuring amps - one is upto 40amps and one up to 400amps - both works well

Tags
battery, monitor