Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2017, 13:10   #1

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Fourwinds ii wind generator help

Have a friend with a fourwinds ii genny, it's producing up to 14 volts in good wind, but no amperage. Not sure about its "Controller" we have no manual and cannot find one anywhere. If anyone has a manual in pdf form we would appreciate it greatly. The website for fourwinds is not operational anymore.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 12:11   #2

Boat: Tayana FD-12
Re: Fourwinds ii wind generator help

Manual was never really complete. I have what one would call a manual, but was pretty useless to me. Its size is 10Megs so I am not able to upload. By the sound of it, are you sure you have a load connected. It would seem to me you are reading an open circuit voltage. Disconnect the controller and put a dummy load, like 1ohm 250W wirewound resistor directly across generator output wires. On a windy day first verify 14V, then hook it up to resistor and see if it heats up. or better yet put a clamp-on meter and verify current output. If you have current then you know its the controller. I have the original controller but it always worked. I installed it in a hard-to-reach location so i have not looked at it since 2004.
phorvati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 13:19   #3

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

We used a home brew wind and trolling generator on our previous boat. It used an old tape drive 32 V perm mag motor as a generator, and I think this is similar to the four winds commercial models. It did not have any controller in the circuit, only a blocking diode. We simply monitored the voltage at the battery and turned it off if it got too high. worked just fine for years.

So, I'd suggest that you simply bypass your controller and see if there is any output into the battery. No need for a dummy load when you have a battery to charge!

You should see a rising voltage and current as the wind speed increases. Exact values will depend on state of charge and size of the battery bank, but this test will demonstrate that the generator is at least functional. If your controller is kaput, in your place I'd simply eliminate it and use observation of voltage to tell you when to shut down (if ever!). On typical cruising boat applications, when relying upon wind generation, really full batteries are pretty rare and you will likely leave it running most of the time.

Jim
Old 24-01-2017, 13:48   #4

Boat: Tayana V42 - Passages

PM me your email address if you don't want to post it here and I will send you a manual.

If a blue plastic box about 8x4x2 or so with two analog meters and two toggle switches is not easily found, then the generator may be connected, possibly with a fuse, directly to the batteries via an isolation diode.

I have two of them. One in service and a new never installed one in storage that I bought on Ebay for $500.
Old 24-01-2017, 15:30   #5

Fourwinds II has a dc motor with brushes. Assuming connections are ok,I would check for with brushes.
boatbod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 02:10   #6

Boat: no boat any more

broken magnets?
double u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 06:23   #7

Boat: Tayana FD-12

If you have 14V, inner workings of the motor are all good. In fact I was on the phone with the owner one time after i had an accident where gust of wind blew a solar panel into a Fourwinds II blade(yes it was scary). To ensure motor was still good, he said to hand spin the shaft and measure open circuit voltage. Obviously, the impact snaped the blades off. 8V+ at the open circuit terminals when spinning the shaft by hand indicates motor is good.
Also I am fairly certain my motor is Moog brushless. They are a tape backup motor. The motor was custom adapted by Moog for Fourwinds. Another type of motor good for this application is tread mill or elliptical machine. In the US, people often throw away old tread mill machines. If i see one on a side walk i would consider it a goldfind (for those that are toying with the idea of building a windgen).
phorvati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 07:07   #8

If it's brushless, you should have a 3 or 6 diode rectifier module somewhere in the system. Best check the input (ac) and output (dc) voltages.
boatbod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 18:16   #9

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

My friend ended up removing it. Thanks for the input though!
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 12:50   #10

Boat: cheoy lee 48' sloop

I need a copy of a Fourwinds wind gen manual if anybody has one. Trying to revive an older unit.

greg
Interlude is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, wind, wind generator