Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2014, 20:36   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1984 Catalina 22, 2005 Carolina Skiff 24, 1989 BW Outrage 19, BW SS 15
Re: Float Voltage Drop From 13.8 to 13.0

Depending on the size of your battery bank and the amount of energy usage you plan when you leave the dock, your batteries will probably like being maintained/topped off by a moderate sized (80W on up) solar panel with a charge controller like the reasonably priced Morningstar TS-45, instead of trying to keep them charged with your engine alternator or a generator. I don't have to think about my batteries much even though I have a refrigerator, they are topped off by 10 a.m. most days.

The TS-45 allows you to customize your absorption voltage etc.

I've read Maine Sail's articles on solar systems and monitors, they are excellent. He even tells you whether your batteries should be oriented transversely or longitudinally. Great stuff.
Azul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2014, 21:03   #17

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post

On a positive note, here's the NextGen, the new Crab on the block, Master Gaius Crab, of Chicago, on day one of his journey:

Though your picture did not show up on my screen I still wish to congratulate you on your grandchild. Good luck with your new charger.
Old 15-03-2014, 23:37   #18

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Float Voltage Drop From 13.8 to 13.0

Thanks guys. Appreciate the thoughts. As long as I'm going into the system, may as well add some solar now. Never know when someone will steal yer wind generator. Talking last night with a welder pal about building a multipurpose bracket.

Other than whatever damage the batts have endured already, I don't mind doing this upgrade now. Already have a small panel to feed an elec motor for dink for when my outboard dies or disappears. Thanks for the brand names mentioned also; don't want to reinvent the wheel. The charger that Maine Sail did the super pictorial on is also the one recommended by Bill, above. The unit is also all over the net, and for cheaper than I can buy through my wholesale supplier.

Sorry you can't see the pic of the new crab, Therapy. I just posted it for fun as the 2 hour old kid has kind of a grimace, and appears to be thinking: "WTF?"

Who knows what's next, eh?
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2014, 23:58   #19
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors View Post

Replace it with either a Sterling or ProMariner Ultra charger

Bill
Another vote for the sterling pro charge ultra, I've just fitted one.
Slight drift but might be of interest here, not in the (brief ) instructions , but to manually trigger an equalisation cycle, first set to lead acid, then go back into change battery type and you can scroll past custom into factory reset then the equalisation led will flash, press both up and down buttons for a few seconds and the equalisation cycle will start. Haven't figured out how to stop without unplugging yet.

Sent from my SGP312 using Tapatalk
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2014, 00:11   #20

[QUOTE=conachair;1493526]Another vote for the sterling pro charge ultra, I've just fitted one.
Slight drift but might be of interest here, not in the (brief ) instructions , but to manually trigger an equalisation cycle, first set to lead acid, then go back into change battery type and you can scroll past custom into factory reset then the equalisation led will flash, press both up and down buttons for a few seconds and the equalisation cycle will start. Haven't figured out how to stop without unplugging yet. /QUOTE]

Well, figure it out as soon as possible, please. I am complexity-challenged. Quite a price differential from Gen2 to Gen3. I figure for the money, Gen3, ought to know when == is required. Guess not.
Old 16-03-2014, 00:35   #21
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Well, figure it out as soon as possible, please. I am complexity-challenged. Quite a price differential from Gen2 to Gen3. I figure for the money, Gen3, ought to know when == is required. Guess not.
There's an auto battery maintenance cycle built in which varies with battery type setting, not sure just how that works yet. I like being able to do it manually, you should be able to reduce the amps for equalising as well in a power setting, hopefully, haven't tried that yet either.

Sent from my SGP312 using Tapatalk
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2014, 06:49   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

Quote:
Thanks guys. Appreciate the thoughts. As long as I'm going into the system, may as well add some solar now. Never know when someone will steal yer wind generator. Talking last night with a welder pal about building a multipurpose bracket.

Other than whatever damage the batts have endured already, I don't mind doing this upgrade now. Already have a small panel to feed an elec motor for dink for when my outboard dies or disappears. Thanks for the brand names mentioned also; don't want to reinvent the wheel. The charger that Maine Sail did the super pictorial on is also the one recommended by Bill, above. The unit is also all over the net, and for cheaper than I can buy through my wholesale supplier.

Sorry you can't see the pic of the new crab, Therapy. I just posted it for fun as the 2 hour old kid has kind of a grimace, and appears to be thinking: "WTF?"

Who knows what's next, eh?

Just be sure when looking at the ProMariner Pronautic P that it is a Pronautic "P". It should look identical to the Sterling PCU. There are other "Pronautic" chargers that are NOT the "P".....

Thes is the OLD Pronautic. It is NOWHERE near the same charger as the ProNautic P... Do not buy this model..

This is the Pronautic "P", do buy this mode or the Sterling PCU..

The only difference between the early Pronautic P's and later ones is the CEC compliance (California Energy Compliance) with an "energy saver mode".

If you can get a better deal on a non-CEC model buy it!
Old 16-03-2014, 07:00   #23
Eternal Member

.... and don't worry about reducing the current in the equalization mode.

The batteries themselves will determine maximum current they'll accept at any voltage and SOC level. You don't have to limit the current, just the voltage.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2014, 07:36   #24

Ooooohhhhh. Thanks again. That would have been an easy mistake to make.

Am ordering today as pictured above. This gear looks like I can install it but I have a local tech pal on standby who works for beer. A happy consequence is moving the charger out of the bilge where it surely will get wet, and up near the other elec installs. Finally sent my AP off to the factory for repair ... I am almost cooking with gas. I say almost as I'm using alcohol.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	charger.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	217.1 KB
ID:	77665  

Tags
loa