Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 24-07-2016, 00:25   #16
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m
Re: Flexible Solar Panels on Dodger and Bimini

I have, and have had for over 10 years, two semi flexible panels on the Bimini canvas. No issues at all, even in strong conditions, and offshore. Recently replaced the old 72w panels with 120w ones. They have Velcro glued to the underside, and the other 1/2 of the Velcro sewed to the Bimini canvas directly. Over centre toggles In The corners, but not really required. Velcro ALL the way around - you can't afford for the wind to get underneath...

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Matt Paulin
Neptunes Gear Ltd
Neptune's Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2016, 07:09   #17

Boat: O'Day 34

I mounted a flexible 100w panel on my Bimini - was going to be temporary but it's been 6 months and I don't see a reason to take it off until I take the Bimini down in the winter. I just tied the corners to the frame of the Bimini. I haven't noticed any wear problems and my Bimini doesn't really flex much because I have it pretty tight. I bought a couple of fold-up soft solar panels before this and they didn't last more than a few weeks.

For me the advantage of the flexible panels is not just the flexibility (and they are only slightly flexible, which is good) but that they weigh so much less than the glass-covered, framed ones.

Like what you do or do what you like.
Obi Wan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2016, 08:03   #18

I have installed two 100 watts semi flexible solar pannels on my bimini, attached with velcro flaps. The installation is neat, but after two years I have to replace the velcro side attached to the solar pannels(deteriorated by UV ?). It is not an ideal position sun wise, because the boom, radar mast or mast always somehow project shadows. But still, I can get an average of 3-4 amps all day long. I have them supplemented by a large(275w) rigid solar pannel installed on deck aft of the mast. Surprinsingly, almost no shadow from the boom(sun angle is too low at our lattitude, and very little from the mast. all the pannel are connected in serie through a very efficient MPPT controler, and the result is good enough: No more engine runing, even in northen Vermont. MPPT controllers do a good job of maximazing power output from sunup to sunset, because as long as there is voltage over 13 volt(On 48 v for the complete array) some watts flows to the batteries.
Elie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2016, 19:11   #19

Boat: Beneteau 473 - Polaris
PolarisOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2016, 22:05   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon-C22 Chrysler Sunpiper- 19 Potter-Preparing to cruise w/my girl

Originally Posted by PolarisOne View Post
Welcome to CF Polaris!

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote

bimini, dodger, panels, solar, solar panels

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: