Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2009, 20:47   #1

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48
Fischer-Panda Generators - Experience?

I'm thinking about replacing my 6KW Westerbeke genset. Fischer-Panda makes a 12-volt generator that produces 220 amps/hour at 12 volts from a single-cylinder Kubota-based engine that weighs 175 pounds. We don't have any appliances that use 120 volts and my inverter/charger only puts out 120 amps/hour. Losing the weight and shortening my genset run time is appealing.

Does anyone know of other manufacturers who make diesel 12-volt generators? Has anyone become familiar/friendly/antagonistic with a Fischer-Panda? I'd appreciate any feedback.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2009, 04:46   #2

Boat: Beneteau First 42
We have a FP 4.2 KW fresh water cooled AC generator aboard our boat and have generally been pretty happy with the machine. On the few occassions we have had difficulty, the FP people have been very helpful. For example, you might want to take a look at http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...nda-26741.html . The sales manager at Panda is a young man by the name of Jeff Till (jtill@fischerpanda.com) or 01-954-462-2800 and I'm sure he can answer many of your questions. One thing to remember on these units is that one must stay on top of the maintnenance to avoid problems and one must be very careful to ensure the installation follows the manufacturers instructions to the letter.

I'm sure others will have differing opinions, good and bad, but we've been very pleased with the company. For more, use the Search function (above) on "Panda".

Good luck!

s/v HyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2009, 05:40   #3
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
The FP diesel DC generator - To misquote Monty Python - "run away run away"
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2009, 09:27   #4
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
What is it about gensets? Why can't somebody make a simple, reliable, quiet genset? This is one of the most frequently discussed topics at any anchorage or marina where cruisers congregate. In our cruising, I have not run into anyone -- anyone -- who was 100% satisfied with their genset!

I have an F-P Mini8. A very different unit from you're talking about, to be sure, but there have been several times when (if I could have actually done so) I would have jerked the thing out of the boat and made a mooring anchor out of it! GRRRR!

There are several advantages to it -- light and quiet (which is very nice, indeed). I'm incredibly obsessive with the maintenance schedule on it, too. I'm convinced, though, that the F-P engineers do everything they can to make a simple solution, complicated. It is like they never talked to owners or mechanics when making design decisions.

I'll second HyLyte's comments, though, about F-P's service reps (I'm not talking about the dealers, though!) Jeff, Jim, and Jessi (in parts) at fischerpanda.com are great -- prompt, helpful, and keep working at it until they get it. I thank them, publicly.

However, I cannot unequivally recommend F-P. The problem is, I can't recommend any other, based on my conversations with owners!

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2009, 09:29   #5

Ample Power makes the "Genie". I would avoid Fischer Panda for sure based on their AC gens...
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2009, 09:38   #6

Boat: 82 Present, 13 ft dinghy
Have you comparison priced FP, I did and all I can say is Run Forest, Run.
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2009, 09:41   #7

Send a message via Skype™ to gosstyla
Polar Power Inc. , Glacier Bay and I believe now Victron also make/sell DC gensets.
gosstyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2009, 11:04   #8
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
gosstyla -- Weren't you running Glacier Bays? If so, what do you think?

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2009, 10:01   #9

Send a message via Skype™ to gosstyla
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intentional Drifter View Post
gosstyla -- Weren't you running Glacier Bays? If so, what do you think?

ID
Yes. 2 x 25KW @ 240VDC. The diesels were Mercedes, Smart Car, electronic controlled common rail. I've heard Glacier Bay has/is switching to Yanmar.

Of course they were primarily for propulsion not house. Don't believe GB has yet fixed, or found, all the software bugs. Also, I believe their monitoring systems needs much work.

For my purposes, I am now convinced diesel electric propulsion is not and probably never will be competitive.

For house purposes, I believe Victron's Multipower hybrid or something similar is what I'll use in the next boat.
gosstyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2009, 16:03   #10
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
The FP DC generator. Pls. don't bring that one up anymore, my nightmares about it were just fading and now it's all back again. That thing is the worst of the worst. Ask a diesel mechanic about it and it will be your last question to him for ever as he will avoid you at all cost.

I have seen this worthless.. erhmm.. "thing" in 3 different forms: new, seized and cracked. I never even got to see mine new as it was already seized when we bought Jedi.

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2009, 03:27   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Some dated Fischer-Panda Generator experience:

Duncan & Robin aboard s/v “Whisper”
Fischer Panda: The Final Chapter

Fisher-Panda Owner’s forum:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...forum-530.html

Subject to an agreement that Geoff Schultz reached with F-P, he shut down the “FisherPandaSucks” website.
Here’s a cached version of the F-P Owners forum www.FischerPandaSucks.com :
Goto ➥ Fischer Panda Owner's Forum : General Sailing Archive

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2009, 15:47   #12

Boat: CSY 44 w/o hull# 158 S/V Leighward
hello: has any one seen a gen set that runs off the boats engine....i think i saw a thread here some time ago but i cant find it.....i just happen to have a 4.5kw onan ac/dc that the engine is gone ...could this unit be mounted above(given space requirements) the engine , driven by a PTO?
Old 24-07-2009, 21:48   #13

Boat: csy 37
mechanic friend of mine had a fischer panda. deep sixed it.

fisher panda in fort lauderdale actually sold him used parts as though they were new parts. when he called them on it they gave him some more used parts to mollify him.

he eventually deep sixed it and bought another brand, although i can't recall which it was. he had absolutely nothing good to say about fischer panda.....
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Fischer Panda