Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2018, 14:58   #31

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 49
Re: Fischer Panda Generator stops after about 1 hour

Hi
Thanks, that is a good suggestion, I am going to check every joint in the fuel line.

Since the original post, I have since changed the relays, but sadly, that was not the cause of the problem. I checked the control panel board, no sign of corrosion, dry joints, and all wired connections were good. I then decided to check some voltage readings during the period the generator was starting to slow down and stop.

In checking voltages I measured 12.78 volts across the terminals of the fuel solenoid just as the engine was starting to run down.
After the engine stopped I removed the lead to the oil pressure sensor to power up the control circuitry and the voltage across the fuel solenoid returned to 12.78 volts. I also checked the voltage to the Hardi fuel pump and it was the same 12.78 volts. But the Hardi fuel pump was not ticking and when I felt it, it was getting hot.

I then loosened the fuel bleed screw on the fuel shut off valve and alas, although the pump was powered up with a 12 volt supply, no diesel came out. My obvious conclusion was that the engine had stopped due to a lack of fuel. But the pump would still not tick and deliver fuel. I loosened the union on top of the fuel solenoid which connects the return fuel pipe. The pump then started ticking and diesel dripped out. On re-tightening the return fuel pipe union diesel dripped from the fuel bleed screw below and the Hardi fuel pump was ticking away as normal. I checked this a few times by connecting and disconnecting the oil pressure sensor lead. After bleeding the system using the fuel solenoid bleed screw, the engine started again and ran for another hour or so.

I am therefore convinced this is not an electrical problem with the 12 volt control circuitry but a fuel problem. I am just not sure what it is yet, but will keep you posted.

Michael

Golden-Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2018, 15:11   #32

Hi
Thanks, that is a good suggestion, I am going to check every joint in the fuel line.

Since the original post, I have since changed the relays, but sadly, that was not the cause of the problem. I checked the control panel board, no sign of corrosion, dry joints, and all wired connections were good. I then decided to check some voltage readings during the period the generator was starting to slow down and stop.

In checking voltages I measured 12.78 volts across the terminals of the fuel solenoid just as the engine was starting to run down.
After the engine stopped I removed the lead to the oil pressure sensor to power up the control circuitry and the voltage across the fuel solenoid returned to 12.78 volts. I also checked the voltage to the Hardi fuel pump and it was the same 12.78 volts. But the Hardi fuel pump was not ticking and when I felt it, it was getting hot.

I then loosened the fuel bleed screw on the fuel shut off valve and alas, although the pump was powered up with a 12 volt supply, no diesel came out. My obvious conclusion was that the engine had stopped due to a lack of fuel. But the pump would still not tick and deliver fuel. I loosened the union on top of the fuel solenoid which connects the return fuel pipe. The pump then started ticking and diesel dripped out. On re-tightening the return fuel pipe union diesel dripped from the fuel bleed screw below and the Hardi fuel pump was ticking away as normal. I checked this a few times by connecting and disconnecting the oil pressure sensor lead. After bleeding the system using the fuel solenoid bleed screw, the engine started again and ran for another hour or so.

I am therefore convinced this is not an electrical problem with the 12 volt control circuitry but a fuel problem. I am just not sure what it is yet, but will keep you posted.

Michael

Old 14-03-2018, 15:18   #33

Hi
The battery is the same as the one used to start the main engine and is charged by the main engine alternator or when the generator is running, the battery charger. The battery is new and having checked the control voltage during the period the generator is shutting down, 12.78 volts is showing across the fuel solenoid and fuel pump terminals.
I am now convinced this is a fuel problem rather than an electrical problem.
Michael
Old 16-03-2018, 07:08   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden-Spirit View Post
Hi
The battery is the same as the one used to start the main engine and is charged by the main engine alternator or when the generator is running, the battery charger. The battery is new and having checked the control voltage during the period the generator is shutting down, 12.78 volts is showing across the fuel solenoid and fuel pump terminals.
I am now convinced this is a fuel problem rather than an electrical problem.
Michael
I think its fuel as well.
Can you do this test....run the generator with the cover off and report back here how long it ran for. If it seems to be fixed I'll tell you the next step.
Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2018, 07:49   #35

Boat: Lagoon 570

The clicking noise may be normal. I am not sure about the pump to my generator but the pumps to my Webasto Air heaters click as a normal part of their operation. Your gen may be the same thing. When I started having trouble I spent a few weeks trying to figure it out to no avail. (I don't ask for directions when lost either!) Finally I had the local repair guy come over and he figured out what was wrong in a few minutes and fixed it. That time I had run my tank dry and the generator line simply had air in it.
Timreyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 17:36   #36

Boat: Hunter Legend 420 Passage

More thoughts from an FP owner who also wants to know your solution.

Check that the return fuel feed back to the tank has absolutely no air in it that could be coming from a very small leak in the feed fuel pipes. Feed the return into the bottom of a clear bottle - any small air leak will show as small bubbles rising in the diesel. This was one of my problems!!!!

Also just to totally eliminate a possible temperature problem check that the temperature sensors do turn on the temperature warning light when EACH sensor is disconnected - if they are normally open then short them with a wire. You could also measure the engine temperature with an infra red temperature sensor to see if it increases too much.
sailinglegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 19:52   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Pull your fuel pickup tube and see if there is a screen on the bottom of it. If there is remove it. Your fuel should be filtered by a proper filter, not a screen on the pickup tube.

If that turns out to be your problem I would think your fuel tank needs cleaning.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 21:17   #38
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

My FP generator stopped after an hour as well. I had to pay people to remove and dispose of it as it had seized up because FP thought it wise to run raw water through the whole thing.

I recommend to use a temporary fuel tank (even an empty soda PET bottle will do) and hold it higher than the engine to create a positive pressure gravity feed.
Also, open the sound enclosure during running, check cooling water flow and if needed disable safeties to find the cause. A diesel only needs fuel and air.
s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2018, 14:23   #39

I was battling this exact same problem with my FP Mini 8. I think I have finally solved it. I first noticed that it would run for about an hour and then die randomly. If I turned it back on, it would run for a while and then shut down. Sometimes it would run for 10 minutes, sometimes a minute or so. I found that my dipstick was broken and I don't think it was forming a seal. I replaced this, hoping that it was shutting down due to low oil pressure. Then I had it running one day and noticed that my exhaust got really loud and no water was coming out. Checked the impeller and it was totally destroyed. Replaced this. Original problem continued. Seemed like the fuel pump was clicking erratically so I ordered a new Hardi pump from UK Amazon for a hundred bucks. Replaced the fuel pump. Problem continued. Finally, decided to replace the racor 110a fuel filter and that seems to have solved the problem. I think it was just starved for fuel. Ran it yesterday for an hour and a half with no issues once I filled the new fuel filter with diesel and bled air from the fuel line. Felt great turning it off with the power button after several months of it dying on its own.
harneyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2018, 23:45   #40
Marine Service Provider

First check whether the battery (battery) of the generator set is under-powered. Most of the genset batteries that are currently configured are lead-acid batteries. It is necessary to add electrolyte. If it is left unused for a long time, the battery needs to be charged and fully charged. If the battery is not short-circuited. Then check if there is air in the fuel injection pump, especially the domestic generator set equipped with domestic engine. When using for the first time, you need to unscrew the air exhaust screw on the oil pump and then press the pump repeatedly for repeated pressure until it is deflated. There is no more air bubbles in the diesel fuel discharged from the screw. This process is time consuming when using the generator set for the first time.

shelleyWendert is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Fischer Panda, generator