Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2014, 01:40   #1

Boat: Farr, PH, 50
Fischer Panda does not charge start battery

Generator (4KW) charges house batteries as intended but does not charge it's own start battery. Any suggestions? Also source for a Fischer Panda troubleshooting/repair manual.
Thanks!
Farr50PH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2014, 03:43   #2

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: Fischer Panda does not charge start battery

Does the Panda have it's own alternator, or does your system rely on energizing the battery charger which in turn (should be) charging the genset start battery?

-Chris
Old 15-09-2014, 04:13   #3

Location: On board Sarah, currently lying in Jacksonville, FL
Boat: Pearson, 424, 42', Sarah

No experience with the Fischer gensets. I have a Northern Lights genset. As ranger42c posted, it has an alternator that charges the genset start battery. Normally the start battery is charged by a genset alternator or a battery charger, but not both.

Is this a new problem? a new installation? or just started happening? Have you measured voltage at the start battery when the genset and the battery charger are running? Does it show a charging voltage (>13 VDC)? If the start battery is not being charged, how do you start the genset?

Sounds like several possibilities:
1. Start battery not holding charge
2. Genset alt or regulator failure
3. Incorrect wiring of the genset alt or battery charger

John
jstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2014, 09:15   #4

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farr50PH View Post
Generator (4KW) charges house batteries as intended but does not charge it's own start battery. Any suggestions? Also source for a Fischer Panda troubleshooting/repair manual.
Thanks!
The FP provides 120v power to the boat just as does shore power. Your A/C battery charging system should include an "echo charge" or similar device that provides charging power to the starting battery as well as the house bank(s). Note, though, that some echo chargers will not kick in until the house bank has reached a pre-set state of charge that, depending upon your system, may or may not be adjustable by the user. If you have difficulty, it will be with the charging system, not the generator.

In re: manuals, all of FP's manuals are available for down-load on the Company's web site. Be sure, however, that you are choosing the right manuals for your particular generator as there have been several iterations of FP generators. If you have a specific issue/question, you can contact James Gagnon in the service department or Jeff Till in sales at 800-508-6494 or 954-462-2800. Both are very knowledgeable and very willing to help.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2014, 20:15   #5

all of the boat gens I've seen have an alternator and charge there own battery. no ac required. generally you'd have a multi bank charger though as well that would charge it both with gen running and on shore.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2014, 11:50   #6

Thank you all for your comments. I have learned that my Panda AGT 400 generator has a DC-DC converter that takes the primary output of 24VDC and converts it to 12VDC for the sole purpose of charging it's dedicated start battery. I now suspect the DC-DC converter has failed. Panda in Ft Lauderdale tells me the converter can be damaged if the start battery is disconnected during operation. However they also tell me the DC-DC converter can be tested by applying 24VDC and measuring the output for proper 12V+DC start battery charge voltage. I am told a "repair" manual is not available. That technicians who service Panda Generators must go through a training program. This would seem to isolate owners who wish to service their own generators and baits the question whether there is a black market for a repair manual. Any comments to the above would be much appreciated as I would like to remove and troubleshoot my DC-DC converter.
Old 21-09-2014, 11:54   #7

I should have answered the question on how I start my AGT 400 with a poorly charged dedicated start battery. My main engine has a dedicated 12VDC alternator (in addition to the 24VDC alternator connected to house batteries). The 12VDC alternator charges (1) the engine start battery, (2) the generator start battery, and (3) the 12VDC radio house battery. What is not working is generator start battery charging from the generator itself...

Tags
battery, Fischer Panda