Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2011, 07:26   #1

Fischer Panda

Yes I have read the post regarding FP generators but they appear to be 3-4 years old. There is some indication that FP has cleaned up their act and product. I am looking at the AGTPM4 which is a dc gen. Does anyone have current info regarding the reliability of FP generators. Thanks.
clayzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 07:35   #2

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Re: Fischer Panda

Does it have a heat exchanger?
Sand crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 07:54   #3

yes, uses sea water.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:58   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Does it have a heat exchanger?
Yes, they are fresh-water cooled. See: Fischer Panda AGT4000 DC Marine Diesel Generator

But they are one of those FP units which use a single-cylinder engine screaming its lungs out at 3000 RPM They are noisy and vibrate.

You can get a lot of information on their reliability through Google, and by using the search function on this Forum.

If I were you, unless you are a die-hard DC generation fan, or are severely limited in weight or volume you can devote to your genset, I would look for a 1500 or 1800 RPM three-cylinder generator. Much quieter, much longer-lasting, much more reliable. The trade off is much bigger and heavier.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 08:00   #5

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayzone View Post
Yes I have read the post regarding FP generators but they appear to be 3-4 years old. There is some indication that FP has cleaned up their act and product. I am looking at the AGTPM4 which is a dc gen. Does anyone have current info regarding the reliability of FP generators. Thanks.
We have been using a FP 4.2KW AC Generator since early 2002. With the Proper Maintenance, the units are very reliable. While we've had a few difficulties, with the exception of one instance, they were due to either user error/ignorance or an improper installation of the control module. In every case, we have found the FP staff to be very responsive and helpful, particularly Jeff Till, the Sales Manager, and Bob Grubert in the Technical Department.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 08:18   #6

Boat: Fleming 58
I've had experience with FP in my boat a few years ago. Not a good experience, the Genset on many occasions refused to shut down. I had to go below and manually choke the fuel supply to turn it off. It runs at a very high rpm. Mechanical things should not spin that fast for long periods of time without having reliability issues. It runs quietly and is small. These are it's only positive characteristics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-941147793.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	34307  
Carlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:05   #7

Really I am focused on FP only because there is not a lot of options available. I would rather have the FP AGT6000 because it has 2 cylinders and the RPMs are lower. But it is 24v. Maybe I am just ignorant but I don't know how to use 24v output on a 12v system without frying everything.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:16   #8

I know nothing about their 12v units. Hopefully they dont require that unit to run at continuous high rpm. We tried to install 2 FP AC gensets on new boats where I used to work. Nothing but trouble. The unit evidently had so many sensors on it that the world had to be perfect for it to run. Waterflow sensors, exhaust heat sensors etc. We really pissed off two customers by selling these units and quit selling them entirely after that. There are a lot of good AC units out there. DC fewer... I think Ample Power still sells a little Kubota based 12v unit 150 amp. Real light and quiet.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:22   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayzone View Post
A member of this forum sold one about a year ago, you might contact and ask what he thought of it: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tor-38817.html

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 15:36   #10

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

take a look at the Next Gen units. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 17:17   #11

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I know nothing about their 12v units. Hopefully they dont require that unit to run at continuous high rpm. We tried to install 2 FP AC gensets on new boats where I used to work. Nothing but trouble. The unit evidently had so many sensors on it that the world had to be perfect for it to run. Waterflow sensors, exhaust heat sensors etc. We really pissed off two customers by selling these units and quit selling them entirely after that. There are a lot of good AC units out there. DC fewer... I think Ample Power still sells a little Kubota based 12v unit 150 amp. Real light and quiet.
I find it quite remarkable that I, who have very little knowledge about matters electrical, seem to have had so few issues with our Fischer Panda over 10 years (this comming Spring) but so many other, ostensibly more knowledgable, have had so many.

Quite remarkable, no?
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 17:53   #12

It is not about the years of ownership, it is about the hrs in service. Just sayin
Old 03-12-2011, 05:36   #13

As far as I know Next Gen does not have a 12v generator. Ample Power's website says it has a 12v model but I can't find any information about it. FP now has a AGT5000 which has 2 cylinders and puts out 5kw. I don't know what the RPM. Polar used to have a small 12v gen but are not making it now. They said they plan to start making it again in the future but could not give me a date.
Old 03-12-2011, 05:49   #14

Boat: 58 Taswell AS

You should avoid all high rev gensets (FP, Mastervolt,etc.). I had two FPs and theyb were nothing but expensive trouble with the Kubota diesel.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 06:34   #15

Boat: Lagoon 410 ELECTRIC!

Did you look at the Polar Marine DC Gensets? Any comments?
Polar DC Marine

Steve in Solomons MD
Lagoon 410 SE
Hyprdrv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Fischer Panda