Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2019, 09:34   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400 - 40'
Question Fischer Panda 6K Genset... worth fixing?

I have an (approx) 20-year old Fischer Panda Genset 6K model, on a 1996 40' Beneteau with about 150 hours. Recently experienced failure due to water pump">raw water pump breaking and causing salt water to spew al over outside of engine, starter, alternator, accessories, causing corrosion of oil pan, etc, etc. Also, contaminated inside of engine due to pump design, which we seem to have discovered and resolved in time with multiple wash-out oil changes. Cost for these repairs: $1500. However, after being again operational for a couple of weeks, it started losing oil - quickly.

Assuming oil pan corrosion, we pulled the genset for another $500 (since it cannot be properly diagnosed or repaired while mounted below), but also with the thought I may not put it back in. I'm looking at at least $2000 of additional repair costs (labor and parts), after the $2000 I've already put in (which is sunk cost at this point).

I'm considering abandoning the project and selling it to someone who has more use for it than I, since I don't really need it and I definitely don't need the headache of what seems to be a never-ending black hole. And, Fischer Panda has some very bad reviews about chronic maintenance issues, as well as being very pricey in their parts.

Arguments pro: boat is worth more when I resell (in maybe 2 years) with genset; and I can top off batteries, run A-C on occasional overnights, and have a backup for alternator failure... (FYI my dock has no shorepower).

Arguments con: additional 400-500lbs on boat; I now have 200W solar panel array, so battery top off is not an issue; several other 110V things on boat such as cold plate system and watermaker have also been removed, so really don't need 110V, and overnights on the hook are few and far between.

Does this sound like the right decision or am I missing something significant?
Thanks for any advice!
jsbartley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Fischer Panda