Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2012, 05:40   #1

Boat: Vagabond, Westwind Ketch, 42'
Fan Belt Alarm

I have a Perkins diesel with an alarm/buzzer that goes off if it gets too hot or the oil pressure is too low. Along with this buzzer is a red light that comes on if these problems occur. I installed an alternator warning light to come on if my alternator fails or if the alternator belt fails. This alternator belt also turns the fresh water cooling pump on the engine. What I would like to have is for this buzzer to go off if the fan belt breaks. In the bright sun the alternator fail light is hard to see and if only takes a short time for the engine to overheat when the belt does break. If I had this buzzer I would know as soon as the belt breaks instead of when the over temperature sensor turns the buzzer on. The oil press/water temp buzzer goes off when it receives a ground from either engine sensors so ideally I'd like to build a circuit, or buy a unit, that would also put out a ground to this buzzer if the alternator fails (belt breaks). Any ideas? JC
Helimech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 06:39   #2

Boat: KP 44
Re: Fan Belt Alarm

Here you go!
UNIVERSAL ALTERNATOR BRACKET
Scroll down to the "NO CHARGE" INDICATOR LIGHT "GIZMO"
Works great.
slacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 08:14   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

This is another alternative, that I've not bought YET, but you reminded me that I need to. It is an exhaust temperature alarm, and goes off WAY before your coolant alarm will go off. And, for a boating product, it's pretty cheap ($74).

Wet Exhaust Temperature Alarm by Borel Manufacturing Inc.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 09:50   #4

I have a generator, I believe its a Deutz 35kw that has a switch on the belt tensioner, if the belt takes off the tensioner turns on its internal coil spring and hits the limit switch and then shuts the engine down. This particular fan belt drives a large cooling fan as the engine is air cooled. Its shore based.

It would not be hard to get an alarm rigged to it.
Silverado6x6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 10:09   #5

If you have a tach you already have an indicator. We, by habit, check the cockpit gauges regularly. If the belt goes you should also hear a singificant change in the engine operating noise.
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 12:01   #6

I believe if you took a RadioShack, relay number " NTE R70-5D1-12 - Relay SPDT 1-Amp 12VDC ( Relays & transformers - Component parts - RadioShack.com ) " and wired the coil across the idiot light it could run a small buzzer. Like all your alarms it will activate when the key is turned on. They have a multitude of other relays that would most probably do the job. You can also do a Google search for " DIY low-voltage circus "this could give you notice any time the alternator quick charge for any reason. Just my two cents, Mike.
Florida Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 12:36   #7

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Mike View Post
I believe if you took a RadioShack, relay number " NTE R70-5D1-12 - Relay SPDT 1-Amp 12VDC ( Relays & transformers - Component parts - RadioShack.com ) " and wired the coil across the idiot light it could run a small buzzer. Like all your alarms it will activate when the key is turned on. They have a multitude of other relays that would most probably do the job. You can also do a Google search for " DIY low-voltage circus "this could give you notice any time the alternator quick charge for any reason. Just my two cents, Mike.
Using this relay, I believe it would be wired this way. For you electric tech's, if wrong please correct.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	relay.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	184.5 KB
ID:	36410  
Old 24-01-2012, 16:28   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
If you have a tach you already have an indicator. We, by habit, check the cockpit gauges regularly. If the belt goes you should also hear a singificant change in the engine operating noise.

When I'm crusing 15 miles offshore with my autopilot on I don't check the temp gauge every 3 minutes which is how long it takes for my overtemp alarm to go off. I'm looking for a solution to detect a belt failure before my engine sets off the overtemp alarm. An hour after starting my engine my battery bank is at full charge so when the belt brakes there is minumal alternator load on it so there is no noise change only the water pump load. Maybe your ears are better than mine but the time my belt did fail I heard no signifcant difference in engine noice.
Old 24-01-2012, 16:33   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helimech View Post
When I'm crusing 15 miles offshore with my autopilot on I don't check the temp gauge every 3 minutes which is how long it takes for my overtemp alarm to go off. I'm looking for a solution to detect a belt failure before my engine sets off the overtemp alarm. An hour after starting my engine my battery bank is at full charge so when the belt brakes there is minumal alternator load on it so there is no noise change only the water pump load. Maybe your ears are better than mine but the time my belt did fail I heard no signifcant difference in engine noice.
But, your belt alarm does nothing for a water pump impeller that's gone south. Put in an exhaust temperature alarm, and you kill several birds with one stone. I mean, $74 to save an engine?
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 16:33   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by slacker View Post
Here you go!
UNIVERSAL ALTERNATOR BRACKET
Scroll down to the "NO CHARGE" INDICATOR LIGHT "GIZMO"
Works great.
I already have a "Alternator Fail" light system. Does this gizmo output a "ground" when the alternator fails?
Old 24-01-2012, 16:41   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreep View Post
But, your belt alarm does nothing for a water pump impeller that's gone south. Put in an exhaust temperature alarm, and you kill several birds with one stone. I mean, $74 to save an engine?

Good point. Looking into that. Thanks
Old 24-01-2012, 17:19   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
Using this relay, I believe it would be wired this way. For you electric tech's, if wrong please correct.

Not sure if the wiring is right but I'm going to try different wiring ideas to this relay. Thanks. If I get a working system I'll post. JC
Old 24-01-2012, 17:36   #13

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

The band sensor on that system linked in post 3 is interesting. Obviously detecting an increase in the exhaust hose diameter.

Looks like a super easy install.

My raw water through hull plugged up the other day at the dock while running the engine just because I hadn't cranked it in a week. I already had enough anxiety about this issue already. Can not afford a major engine repair any time soon.

It's on the list, I like the idea.

edit,.... well, maybe not detecting diameter. After looking at the install pdf and seeing the sensor mounted just downstream of the mixing elbow it appears it could be a thermistor sensor. I'm wondering about calibration, but still looks cool.
four winds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 17:49   #14

Boat: Finnsailer 38

I don't understand. If your belt goes your alternate output will go to zero and trigger the light, which will also mean you aren't pumping water. Right? Sounds like you already have the alarm you want. Just hook up a buzzer in addition to the light.
Old 24-01-2012, 17:51   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

How about an optical sensor? If the belt disappears from its view then an alarm sounds.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alarm