Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2017, 18:02   #16

Boat: Valiant 42
Re: Extending shore power cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Note that AC can be transmitted much more efficiently than DC. That's why Westinghouse won out over Edison.

Warning: thread drift ahead...

Westinghouse was wrong and Edison was right. But at the time the technology needed to use D.C. as a transmission system did not exist. Because of skin effect and magnetic reluctance it is more efficient today to use D.C. for high power transmission lines. The size of the wire needed is much smaller for a given power because the voltage drop is less.

But it's irrelevant today because AC is what we have.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 18:07   #17
CLOD

Boat: none

I walked around the docks. There's of boats here with shore power cords connected together.
Old 22-07-2017, 18:26   #18

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

I'd be more concerned about the junction falling in the water than a single length cable.
Old 22-07-2017, 18:31   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Extending shore power cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I walked around the docks. There's of boats here with shore power cords connected together.

Yes, I see very little voltage drop and it seems to work fine for me.
Boat end is a smart plug though, seems to be the right thing to do.
I keep a Watts up meter plugged in by my panel, it displays both voltage and frequency, sometimes I think I hear the generator sag, but looking at the frequency on the watts up meter tells the tale, and it's interesting to see exactly what things draw power wise.

My mistake it's a kill a watt meter,, watts up is DC.
https://www.amazon.com/P3-P4400-Elec...watts+up+meter
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 18:34   #20
CLOD

Granted that I have only experienced plugging into shore power 5 times, but based on the burn marks the thing that always worriess me is the pedestal plugs!!!!
Old 22-07-2017, 18:48   #21

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamhass View Post
It works just fine, but our boat never draws near 30 amps. I do suggest you purchase the collar that allows you to screw the locking collars together, both securing the connection and providing some level of water protection.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/marin...22?recordNum=6
That's what duct tape is for.
Old 22-07-2017, 19:25   #22

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

All those connections, plus the distance voltage drop. It's usually best to err on the conservative side, especially when you have large draws.

Ann
Old 18-08-2017, 11:22   #23
CLOD

So I got a 12' shorepower cable for an extension. Based on the voltage reading on my panel there isn't any voltage drop in a practical sense. The new cable came with a fitting that made the connection between the two cables weather tight.

So in the real world it wasn't any problem at all.
Old 18-08-2017, 15:23   #24
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

I would also suggest some silicon high dielectric grease IN the sockets, which helps prevent arcing and corrosion internally, helps exclude moisture. And when the plugs are joined, stretch wrap or duct tape over the two, again to help keep out moisture. I've found that "just" morning dew on outside extension cords can get enough moisture into that kind of connection, to put a live charge on the outside of the cable. Just tingly...but that's fair warning enough.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2017, 16:39   #25
CLOD

there's no dew getting in, do you wrap you boat's shore power connection where it plugs into the boat?
Old 18-08-2017, 16:52   #26
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Shore power? Rarely have or use it, and the damned cheap mooring buoys don't seem to have any power connection at all!
Old 18-08-2017, 16:54   #27
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Shore power? Rarely have or use it, and the damned cheap mooring buoys don't seem to have any power connection at all!
good thing then that you know about the connection issues
Old 18-08-2017, 20:33   #28
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Sailorboy, what I know is that if you've got brand new top dollar shore power cords, sure, they're supposed to be gasketed and protected and all nicely made up so that never happens. Walk around any marina and you'll see that's not always the case. Gaskets fail. And some connections are home-made or just so old even a museum wouldn't take them. One guy finally trashes 'em, the next guy pulls 'em out of the trash and calls it treasure.

So, you can just assume they are all exactly what they are sold as. And ignore the fact that counterfeit extension cords and surge strips and power connectors, complete with holographic UL seals, have been a big issue in land-side parts for years now. Lots more profit to be made in "marine" fakes.

Me? I'd just as soon have that extra layer of protection. If you ever have the pleasure of AC literally throwing you on your ass and leaving you unable to speak, as I have, you may come to appreciate that too. Yeah, there's a reason why there are lockouts on breaker boxes, and electricians actually USE them.
Old 19-08-2017, 05:32   #29
CLOD

what I really know is that I updated a thread with direct personal experience on the subject

and you responded with advise that you admit you don't really have
Old 19-08-2017, 05:38   #30

Boat: Valiant 42

Guys, can we chill a bit. My personal experience is when I was a kid i stuck a key into a 110 outlet and I didn't die. So should I advise people that's ok? No. Likewise common sense and detailed knowledge of a subject makes for better advise than just a lay person's own experiences.

Plugging together two cords works but is not really a good long term solution. Water can get into the male female splice and cause corrosion. Eventually it will fail.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shore power