Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2019, 09:33   #1

ETA circuit breaker

I have a panel full of ETA 3130-f110-p7ti-w12qr3 circuit breaks. My Garmin GHC 10 requires a 40a breaker so had to replace one of the switches. I am trying to find something that looks the same and fits in the hole. I have looked and looked but haven't found anything that is 40a. The highest ETA is 20a. Any guidance would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190527_122553.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	390.0 KB
ID:	192744  
clayzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2019, 09:45   #2

Boat: Hunter Marine 38
Re: ETA circuit breaker

Use 2 of 20A inparallel. Bond the switches together with a longish bolt or small tube in U shape.
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2019, 10:01   #3

I thought about that but didn't know if it would work. Is it the same concept as making two 12v batteries 24v? So I would wire positive to negative, right? I really don't see how a 20a breaker can be stronger than 20a even wired with another but electricity is not my strong suit.
Old 27-05-2019, 12:49   #4

Boat: FP Salina 48, Hobie 33

When putting the two in parallel you should see half the current across each breaker. In theory anyway. Real life will probably have some variation.

Parallel means that you're going to jumper positive to positive and negative to negative.

I'm no expert on circuit breakers, but I seriously doubt this is a good long term solution. But I could be wrong.
Tornadosailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2019, 12:55   #5

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

I presume you called eta and asked about a compatible breaker?
Old 27-05-2019, 12:55   #6

Boat: FP Salina 48, Hobie 33

By the way, I just installed a new Garmin Reactor autopilot in my boat. It wasn't happy with the same voltage/current my old Furuno was just fine with. I had to run new 6 gauge wires from my main circuit breaker. When you get the warning about low voltage, that's what it is.
Tornadosailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2019, 13:14   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornadosailing View Post
When putting the two in parallel you should see half the current across each breaker. In theory anyway. Real life will probably have some variation...
There's a reason the NEC says this may only be done if the unit is factory-made*.

Designing such a configuration, so that both breakers get equal current, means making their resistance exactly equal, which is not trivial.
Remember why we have a Code in the first place: because otherwise we risk getting punished by laws of physics instead!

* National Elecrical Code, article 240.8: Fuses or Circuit Breakers in Parallel.
Fuses and circuit breakers shall be permitted to be connected in parallel where they are factory assembled in parallel and listed as a unit. Individual fuses, circuit breakers, or combinations thereof shall not otherwise be connected in parallel.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2019, 13:21   #8

Smile Re: ETA circuit breaker

I didn't call ETA but I did look on their website. So no parallel. Any other suggestions. My autopilot is currently working with a big, ugly, pull-out switch. But I want something that is more aesthetically pleasing.
Old 29-05-2019, 21:12   #9

I wouldn't feed a 40a pilot from your DC panel. unless it's fed with huge cable and not far from the batterys. consider running it direct from the battery bank with a fuse / breaker down below and the use the existing panel swtich to control a relay for the pilot power.

I believe the Garmin manual even tells you to connect to battery and not via panel.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote