Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2016, 19:41   #16

Re: Engel 12v fridge or Ice Box Conversion

I have been very happy with my engles ice box conversion. Installation is very simple. The installation brochure takes you step by step thru the process. The only caveat is having the proper location for the condenser. Mine keeps the box very cold and two 100 amp panels provide more than enough power for the fridge and all of the boat's other needs.
ingrid75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2016, 21:35   #17

Boat: Catalina 470

It's obviously been said before, but refrigeration is refrigeration, they are all basically the same, the insulation is the key. I had a big icebox like A64, ive chopped it in half and run a ozefridge. I'm using somewhere between 30-40amps per day. I didn't do a professional job with the insulation, just added approx 3inchs of high density polystyrene (and filled bottom half) siliconed it in and covered with pvc board, seems to work quite well.
As previously mentioned thinking of building in a small 40 l fridge as the frequently opened fridge, been using a 50 liter wacol which has just stopped working efficiently, its been good but takes up space.
What users the amps is the keeping the bigger fridge open pulling every thing out to find stuff.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2016, 04:38   #18

No, they are not all the same. I cruise the sub-tropics/tropics.

I was endorsing only the " MT series Engel " as a complete one piece
top opening box with the swing motor.

Other bastard systems, including Engel, require much more electrical energy unless
you have built yourself a custom, small, super insulated and locking top loader.

If you think you need a big fridge/freezer, then an engine driven automotive type compressor and big holing plates may be your answer.
Even then the box is critical.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2016, 04:58   #19

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sternwake View Post
IF the Engel uses a sawafuji compressor, it 'might' be a noisy little bugger, if that is a concern.

I had a Norcold Front loader with a Sawafuji and it was annoyingly loud, and I went to rather extreme efforts to isolate it from the cabinet, and dampen its noise and the harmonics it would generate.

When it failed at around the 5 year mark, I replaced it with a Danfoss bd35f in a Vitrifrigo c51is of the same internal capacity and nearly the same external dimensions, and found it uses slightly less battery power, and is much much quieter.

There are several chest type 12v compressor fridge freezers that use the Danfoss bd35f.

Here is the most basic unit:

TruckFridge Model: TF51 - Portable Model

Please keep in mind that the cooling unit vents must remain unobstructed for it to be efficient and the ciggy plugs are problematic, and are best cut off and the wired more directly.

No sense in wasting battery power heating spring steel conductors.
Yeah, my Engel is annoyingly loud. Took it in under warranty and they agreed it was loud, but said it was just within specs.

It is loud enough that I can hear it humming and vibrating three rooms away in the house, even with the doors closed. I generally switch it off at night if I am using it. For reference its about twice the loudness of our domestic fridge freezer.

I've tried all sorts of vibration damping ideas sitting it on foam pads etc, but still the hum/vibration gets out.

Not real happy with it. The noise definitely got worse over time. But I would insist on hearing the unit you buy running before you hand over the money. Also try a Decibell meter app for your phone. Not perfect, but they give you a reference value to compare units.
Old 17-05-2016, 05:25   #20

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaramanga F25 View Post
No, they are not all the same. I cruise the sub-tropics/tropics.

I was endorsing only the " MT series Engel " as a complete one piece
top opening box with the swing motor.

Other bastard systems, including Engel, require much more electrical energy unless
you have built yourself a custom, small, super insulated and locking top loader.

If you think you need a big fridge/freezer, then an engine driven automotive type compressor and big holing plates may be your answer.
Even then the box is critical.
I know what fridge your talking about ,and that it has a swing compressor and yes they are a great little fridge, I have both a well insulated holding plate fridge and a Waeco. I live on my boat in the tropics,approx 8° at the moment ,my point is when getting the heat out fridges are roughly all equal at doing that, engels may be abit better.The big difference comes from keeping the cold in, as much as I like the little portable fridges the insulation is minimal. Not suggesting the MT engel isn't great, but the others arent "bastard systems" in my opinion. I've had the portable for two years, yes it may not be as good as the engel but it's been good. The downside is it takes space. I also like how my ozefridge takes advantage of free electricity when im motoring, it freezes and dosen't use any electricity for 9-12 hours once I stop.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2016, 11:54   #21

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
Yeah, my Engel is annoyingly loud. Took it in under warranty and they agreed it was loud, but said it was just within specs.

It is loud enough that I can hear it humming and vibrating three rooms away in the house, even with the doors closed. I generally switch it off at night if I am using it. For reference its about twice the loudness of our domestic fridge freezer.

I've tried all sorts of vibration damping ideas sitting it on foam pads etc, but still the hum/vibration gets out.

Not real happy with it. The noise definitely got worse over time. But I would insist on hearing the unit you buy running before you hand over the money. Also try a Decibell meter app for your phone. Not perfect, but they give you a reference value to compare units.
I had that happen as well, then I accidentally let it slide from my hands when moving it. Sound went away It is back to what it sounded like when we bought it - quiet!
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2016, 12:00   #22

Boat: Irwin citation 40 "Southern Toy"

7 years with ENGEL , quiet and reliable
olepedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2016, 14:43   #23

Boat: Gulf 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sternwake View Post
There are several chest type 12v compressor fridge freezers that use the Danfoss bd35f.

Here is the most basic unit:

TruckFridge Model: TF51 - Portable Model
Have you been able to find any specs on the TruckFridge? Seems somewhat suspicious that they don't even list amp draw etc.
basssears is offline   Reply With Quote