Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2018, 08:24   #1

Boat: Bavaria 46 (2007)
Energy solutions onboard a live aboard

Hi all,

Please excuse my novice question. I am relatively confident I think I know the answer to my own question but thought I would answer anyway.

I am about to buy a boat with both 12V sockets and 230V. It also has a 4kW generator installed.

I think I understand that in order to use the 230V sockets, I will either have to connect to shore power or use the generator.

However is it possible to use my 230V appliances without the generator? For example, if I wanted to charge my laptop without starting the generator. Or if I wanted to use a handheld blender. I am guessing I will need an inverter for this? Will this not play havoc on my rechargeable laptop batteries for example.

Many thanks for your help.
lawrence_craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2018, 08:37   #2

Boat: Catalina 30
Re: Energy solutions onboard a live aboard

you can use an inverter but they are incredibly inefficient and use up your house bank faster. ok for occasional things but not efficient to use as a frequent thing
Old 25-09-2018, 08:44   #3
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

And laptop is DC native anyway, just get a 12V "car adapter" or DC converter for that.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2018, 08:52   #4

Yes, an inverter can do what you are asking.

And, no, inverters are not "incredibly inefficient." They actually do a rather good job at converting 12 volt power to 230V. The issue is that MOST things that use 230 volt power on a boat tend to use a LOT of it. Batteries have an intrinsically limited supply of power to deliver between charges. If you over use the inverter (and how much that is depends on a lot of things...) you can drain your batteries dead.

We run our small 220V appliances using our inverter every day, charge our electronic toys, etc. All off our battery bank which is mostly charged with solar. Every two or three days we run the genset to run the watermaker, do laundry, and top off the batteries.

If you have a reasonably sized battery bank, then you can most certainly run a blender for 2 minutes, grind you morning coffee, or charge your laptop--every day. You can not run an air conditioner for hours.

MOST quality inverters you get these days produce "true sine wave" power and you can run anything with those.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2018, 10:08   #5
cruiser

Many people using inverters are wasting a very large percentage of the total energy consumed.

Yes it can be done relatively efficiently, but doing so is a challenge.

Some people run a mains charger powered by an inverter into large batteries, just silly to me.

Avoiding inverter usage when possible is a sound strategy.

DC to DC conversion is much more efficient.
Old 25-09-2018, 11:56   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Energy solutions onboard a live aboard

Inverters can be over 90% efficient.
However there is an overhead if you will with them, so if your powering up a 3 KW inverter to charge your laptop, it’s very inefficient, reason is that a 3 KW or so inverter eats about 20 W (1.5 AH) or so just sitting there turned on, delivering no power.
I bought the smallest pure sine inverter I could find to power my TV / Satellite receiver, and save the big one for big jobs, like running the vacuum cleaner etc.
https://www.solar-facts.com/inverter...efficiency.php
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2018, 12:55   #7
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

A car adapter for a laptop is indeed an inverter. The marketing folks just try not to use three-syllable words because it confuses and scares the buyers. You will need one that has enough power for your laptop (watts) and while more is pointless, you might want one that offers more watts and has different adapter tips, if you plan to replace the laptop in the not-too-distant future.

And then you'd get a bigger inverter for any appliances you were planning on, like a microwave or blender. It is not entirely mad to buy two inverters, one just a little bigger than most of what you will need, and a second much larger one, to be used only for the large loads. That way you gain efficiency AND you get some redundancy, because anything electronic can break down, and many of the inverters on the market have been "built to a price".
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2018, 12:55   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

If your dead set on charging your little toys on an inverter .
https://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/...saAsn2EALw_wcB
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1140899_1.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	177956  
Old 25-09-2018, 14:16   #9
CLOD

Boat: none

I installed a USB charging strip to use for my cell phone and tablets. For the TV and laptop I installed a small 400W inverter. These have been very efficient overall with the draw from the small inverter while watching the TV and charging the laptop being the same as the draw of my main inverter just being turned on with no load at all.
Old 25-09-2018, 15:05   #10

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Inverters can be over 90% efficient.
However there is an overhead if you will with them, so if your powering up a 3 KW inverter to charge your laptop, it’s very inefficient, reason is that a 3 KW or so inverter eats about 20 W (1.5 AH) or so just sitting there turned on, delivering no power.
I bought the smallest pure sine inverter I could find to power my TV / Satellite receiver, and save the big one for big jobs, like running the vacuum cleaner etc.
https://www.solar-facts.com/inverter...efficiency.php

Yep, 1500 watt for the big AC power users such as the vacuum cleaner and microwave and 300 watt for the computers, TV and food processor. Three switched sockets for the shore power, 1500 watt and 300 watt inverters and a plug on the AC distribution panel feed.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2018, 15:19   #11

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontherocks83 View Post
you can use an inverter but they are incredibly inefficient and use up your house bank faster. ok for occasional things but not efficient to use as a frequent thing

We have no problems.

We live aboard at anchor using 240v appliances including 3 fridge freezers totaling 750 litres , full size washing machine and a 240v hot water system
Lights are 12v pumps are 24v
Genset rarely used but do have large solar array.

Appropriate sized gear makes it a non issue.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2018, 16:40   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

[QUOTE=a64pilot;2728701]Inverters can be over 90% efficient.
However there is an overhead if you will with them, so if your powering up a 3 KW inverter to charge your laptop, it’s very inefficient, reason is that a 3 KW or so inverter eats about 20 W (1.5 AH A) or so just sitting there turned on, delivering no power.
/QUOTE]

Just sayin'
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2018, 17:19   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

We have a 3.5 KW inverter for big stuff and a 300 watt full sine Samlax inverter in the 97%+ efficiency range. Great for electronic device charging. Losses on these things are rated as a percentage of full scale. SO, small inverter amounts to small losses. In this case, 3% of 300 Watts = who cares. Your electronics like full sine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	37594B2F-33C2-40A2-BE70-AA9C65660719.jpeg
Views:	153
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	177968  
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2018, 18:58   #14
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
A car adapter for a laptop is indeed an inverter.
No. Inverter is from DC to AC.

DC to DC is a converter.
Old 25-09-2018, 19:03   #15
cruiser

If you get an AH counter between your inverter and battery, and compare to a Killawatt reading on the other side,

you will find the actual inefficiency losses to be much greater IRL than the best-case "optimistic" specs claimed by the vendors.

If you have plenty of surplus power of course who cares, but for a mostly-solar setup often every AH counts.