Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2010, 11:54   #16

Send a message via Yahoo to bvimatelot Send a message via Skype™ to bvimatelot
Quote:
Originally Posted by biltong View Post
Can anyone or everyone try and explain the process of electrolysis on yachts, especially when surrounded by other boats in a harbour. How will being connected to shore power via a battery charger affect the situation. I thought I knew the answer to this, but the more people I ask, the more answers I get.
Well - I can't help with any answers but co-incidentally, I picked up a boat which had just been splashed, in Mobile, for onward delivery to BVI. Did all the pre-voyage checks etc but by the time I got to USVI, this had happened.

Initially, I thought the yard where a lot of work, including stainless, had been done, had used "Ace Hardware" screws instead of marine grade SS but then, due to numerous annoying electrical problems en route, I began to think electrolysis.

Sure enough, when my favourite electric guys in Tortola ran the meter over it, the boat was producing a stray current. Well - that bit's easy....its finding the casuse which can take time. Luckily we found it on the first go - a bad bow light wire which had not been helped by the amount of green stuff we'd taken over the bows on the long beat down.

So - if you think you've got an electrolysis problem - get on it asap!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P5060089.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	429.9 KB
ID:	16358   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5060087.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	436.6 KB
ID:	16359  

bvimatelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2010, 12:07   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
In a nutshell, an isolation transformer stops stray direct current between your boat and the marinas electrical system.

It stops your boat from becoming its sacrificial anode via your shore power cable. You can still get electrolysis from other sources though.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2010, 12:27   #18

Boat: L 34
Don't forget here that your whole boat (inside and out ) is wet or at least damp enough, with SALT water. Any amount of insulation is pretty well ineffective as the coating of this dampness on fibreglass, across rubber/plastic/wood makes for an electrical connection, between everything, sufficient to give you electrolysis nightmares.
holmek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2010, 14:41   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Multimeter probe into bilge water...

I got a reading of +.04V when I stuck a multimeter probe into my bilge water.

Lifting the switch and pump out of the "sump' and keeping the bilge dry has (hopefully) greatly reduced the problem.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2010, 00:41   #20

Boat: Sadler 26
Thank you to everyone who responded to my thread. Though more informed and educated than before on this subject, I am more confused than ever. I think I will be using a wooden engine, through hull fittings and prop from now on. And if that doesn't work, I am going to start using wooden batteries too.
Old 22-05-2010, 09:23   #21

Boat: 42ft Colvin Gazelle - TLA HLA
Do be careful when using wood! Electrolysis and attempts to protect it on wodden hulls can cause severe rot problems!!
Yes, true..
ConradG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrolysis