Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 05-06-2013, 10:55   #121

Boat: Not a Beneteau!
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812
Re: Electrified Lifelines(on purpose)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
I'll tell you what: you go ahead and man trap your boat with all those electric toy ideas of yours, then when those pissed off'd victims torch your boat or punch out the seacocks with you tied up inside, you have someone come back here cryin' about it so we can go ahead and second guess you while drinking a pint of Punchers.
Not if he upped and offed sail right away ... which would be wise.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:57   #122
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewaters2812 View Post
I be sure that their brother in law, the local police boss, has a nice speed-boat from all the kickbacks he be collecting.

Old 05-06-2013, 11:31   #123

Boat: 45' CC ketch

If one is on the budget, I would think of adding several fake CCD cameras and few signs stating clearly that the boat is under survailance and video cameras are in use.

I have been thinking a lot of how will I be securing my future cat, and after a lot of reading I decided to install a good marine alarm system, with multiple zones and multiple sensors including deck sensors, hi-power flood lights, "inferno" siren, possibly hi-power ultrasound sirens, hi-power strobes, video cameras including thermal, video server recording 24/7, good quality locks, and if they still manage to get inside (which I doubt considering all audio and light deterrants), they will get a "ghost cloaker" in their face. And I will definitely supply outboard and dinghy with a gps tracker, like the one I use in my car. They are cheap and reliable, 2 years battery life on a set of lithium batteries is very good

Couple days ago I came across this link and it looks tempting
Old 05-06-2013, 11:40   #124

Boat: Cal 2-27
Re: electrified lifelines(on purpose)

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
You're right, boaters are vulnerable.

But the solution you're seeking may not be safe, and could leave you liable for a wrongful death for reasons explained here, so proceed with caution.

None of us want our stuff stolen, but an over zealousness could leave you in a "George Zimmerman" kind of bind.

By the way "rich" is a relative term. According to a lot of studies, "rich" is generally agreed to be about twice what you have.

Off topic, but I think it was Dale Carnegie that said something to the effect of ......wealth is measured by how long someone can maintain their lifestyle without generating any more income....

so my opinion is that the longer you can go without making a dime and sustaining your current life, makes you wealthier.....
...then i heard somoene else say something to the effect of ...I make myself rich by making my wants few....

Kind of cool I thought
Old 05-06-2013, 11:41   #125
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

this is on page 7, no wonder I'm more scared of cruiser/boaters than the locals
Old 05-06-2013, 12:00   #126
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Electrified Lifelines(on purpose)

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Did you bring your wife and kids with you? Would you have been more concerned about security if you had?
Nope... did not have my wife and kid with me... made a mistake and married an 'adventurous soul'... who promptly went of boats and travel after marriage... but my family lived in India and Pakistan before and after Partition and during the massacre's that took place during the transition... 3 million was the estimate..
I've found the common people in every country I've visited or lived in to be generous, friendly and hospitable to the umpteenth degree... its the so called 'educated city folk' and uniforms that have the attitude..
And no... if anything a kid would have made life abroad even simpler... everyone loves kids...

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:26   #127

Boat: 1968 Hinterhoel Redwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey
I'll tell you what: you go ahead and man trap your boat with all those electric toy ideas of yours, then when those pissed off'd victims torch your boat or punch out the seacocks with you tied up inside, you have someone come back here cryin' about it so we can go ahead and second guess you while drinking a pint of Punchers.
Salty,
I appreciate your comment about would be thieves or worse being victims, but as it has been pointed out it most likely won't work so hopefully the murdering victims won't drown us in our boats if they don't realize they have just been electrocuted. As Charlie brown would say, "Good Grief!"
Old 05-06-2013, 12:41   #128

Boat: Cutter, 31'

How about a little yappy Jack Russel Terrier?
Old 05-06-2013, 12:58   #129
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Electrified Lifelines(on purpose)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
I think if you are in the habit of giving the finger you could have problems in more places than just NY.
Only place I've had a gun waved at me for doing it.... most other places they are man enuf not to need one to back em up...
I used to wonder about the US paranoia abroad... but if its like that in your own country... no wonder you folks are nervous travellers
PS: in certain countries you don't use the US Indian 'How' palm symbol with fingers spread... its the 5 curses your giving them.. so a normal seeming 'Hello' gesture can backfire... a little reseach can work wonders

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 13:44   #130

Boat: 45' CC ketch

This is yet another idea to use which may actually be pretty good. I seriously doubt anybody in his right mind will ever try to steal something from the boat when he see this laser thingy doing it's job.
Old 05-06-2013, 14:30   #131
cruiser

Maybe if ya'll just engaged locals with respect and helped 'em out a bit, you'd be left alone. People find out about these things and know to lay off.
Old 05-06-2013, 14:39   #132

Boat: Not a Beneteau!
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Maybe if ya'll just engaged locals with respect and helped 'em out a bit, you'd be left alone. People find out about these things and know to lay off.
Nah, I think this would be much more fun:

Old 06-06-2013, 09:24   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestrezat View Post
Electrifying my life lines would keep them off my boat.
No they will not, even if you are able to make the electrical to work. An ordinary adult will just get a boot. A flimsy 12 years old can faint under the shock. I know I have witnessed it. I have also crossed many electrified cattle fences they never stopped me. A good thief, normally the bad ones are in prison, will not be stopped by your device but will give him a good reason to rob you well. An electric fence is noticeable. If it comes to the attention of any official, you will be in for some more question.
If you keep reading Tom, you will find that he as an interesting way of protecting his boat. It would be stupid to mention it on this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewaters2812 View Post
Stupid idea they will get you straight away and you will get in more trouble. Do not think for a minute that because some one has slanted eyes he cannot see in the dark.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:38   #134
cruiser

yes, go ahead and make a mess with the locals. The next cruiser that comes to port will be sure to thank you for having to personally "negotiate" your audacities when they arrive in their own boat.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:57   #135

You know really, the same things that protect your house from burglars, can protect your boat.

Lights are the best. A siren is even better.

No thief is going to stay around to see what comes next when the boat he has just climbed on, gets lit up, and a siren starts going.

They want to steal things. They don't want to get caught doing it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: