Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 12-06-2013, 09:22   #136

Boat: bristol 27
Re: Electrified Lifelines(on purpose)

This is a supid idea as the most likely victim is yourself. If you are that paranoid someone might steal your stuff, I hope they do.

Old 12-06-2013, 09:29   #137

Boat: Moccasins and pony

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
This is a supid idea as the most likely victim is yourself. If you are that paranoid someone might steal your stuff, I hope they do.
Sheesh. Tell us how you really feel

Old 12-06-2013, 09:57   #138
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: electrified lifelines(on purpose)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestrezat View Post
OK, I started this post and let me tell you why. A friend of my recently had his two solar panels taken right off the stern of his boat in Honoria Harbor in the Solomons. Replacing them will take a long time and cost far more than they did when he bought them. There are no solar panel stores within hundreds of miles of where he is. These were primary to charging his batteries. Another had all the sheets and halyards taken right off his deck. Dinghies aren't normally stolen but 11 outboards were taken in a single night over Easter weekend two years ago in Moorea. Another friends boat was broken into in in Kirabati and all their computers, cameras and their sons toys were taken.

Yes, there are some places that we would consider safe out here but there is always someone that comes along and spoils it for others. People told me when I left the US 4 years ago that I had more reason to be concerned about theft from other cruisers than locals. So far, I've not found that to be true. The locals out here are wonderful but many of them see us as rich beyond their wildest dreams. We have "toys" that they could not even dream of and some feel that we can just replace them. Most of the cruisers I've met out here aren't rich, they just enjoy doing what they do--cruising. I've lost a few things off my deck but I tend to be careful. I've seen other that aren't.

I have motion sensors(sounds only) on deck and am considering adding some with lights. Electrifying my life lines would keep them off my boat. My first responsibility is to protect my wife, my self and my boat. Do I care what happens to the poor person that tries to come on board, sure. Would I want him to die? Of course not. I just want to make sure he stays off my boat. He's not invited and he sure isn't welcome. Some of you have suggested mounting cameras on deck. That's fine as long as you are awake to see them when they come on board in the middle of the night. Guns are pretty much out of the question as they are illegal in just about every country we have traveled to and far more trouble getting them accepted by the islands we have visited. At the worst, if circumstances would warrant, I'd use my flare gun.

I'm currently in Palau and plan to head for the Philippines. Some of the places we want to see are considered safe. But who knows. Bad people are all around the world. We just want to be prepared for what may come.

I would suggest that another urgent need you have is to keep yourself out of the jail of some little island kingdom.

You can't electrify the lins. It's illegal in the US and probably illegal in a lot of other places you go, and although we all think we can get on line, and read laws and understand them, students in law school take special classes on how to read the law literature -- as well as how to write in "legalease." It's actually pretty tricky.

You can put a burglar alarm on your companionway. You can have stouter doors built that are harder to get through. You can put your solar panels where they aren't so obvious. You can even hoist your outboard motor up the mast if you want. But if you electrify your lifelines, you're asking for trouble, and the first casualty might be your wife or your child, knocked off by the shock, hitting their head on something as they go down, with their life depending on the medical care in some tiny country where you don't speak the local language.

Yeah, it sucks when things are stolen. Mount your solars for easy release and stow them below. Beef up your companionway and put an alarm on it.

99% of the time, crooks go for the easiest score. Often all you have to do is make it just a little harder than it is on other boats. Don't risk ending up in a foreign jail over a solar panel or an outboard motor.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:00   #139
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
You're right, boaters are vulnerable.

But the solution you're seeking may not be safe, and could leave you liable for a wrongful death for reasons explained here, so proceed with caution.

None of us want our stuff stolen, but an over zealousness could leave you in a "George Zimmerman" kind of bind.

By the way "rich" is a relative term. According to a lot of studies, "rich" is generally agreed to be about twice what you have.

Exactly. No matter how that trial turns out, we know that George Zimmerman, at the moment, thought he was acting within his rights. He was very interested in law enforcement, but did not really understand the laws he thought would protect him.

Not saying he's guilty or not guilty. I would have to attend the trial (all of it) to form a valid opinion on that. But I know that the choice he made that night has made a peck of trouble for him, and that it's not at all certain that he even prevented any crime in the process.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:01   #140
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumnMad View Post
World economy going downhill??
In the west there's been a reduction in the excessive purchase of junk destined for landfill, true, but thats not the world economy.
House & boat prices now sensible - all good unless you borrowed too much

Actually our economy is steadily improving. That's not necessarily true for third world countries, though.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:06   #141
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
First thing to do if you don't have it yet is an electronic alarm system, interconnected to the spreader and cockpit lights plus hi intensity strobe and very loud siren. Add manual panic switch in a couple of places incl. the bed.

Next thing to do is add more security for companionway entrance and deck hatches. Cruisers have learned to add measures like steel bars and locks to severly delay thugs when they have decided to come at you. When they start kicking the entrance in with alarms yelling, it is time for your last stand defense inside the boat or, for those who do not want to use violence, for last prayers.

There is a good book called "Pirate's aboard!" which shows how different scenarios play out and where experts discuss above strategy as the norm with 100% survival as of the cases discussed (for those who are ready to use violence and make that clear to the attackers).

Jedi is right. Reinforce your companionway and use your electrical skills to make your boat flash on and off (with obnoxious siren, etc.) like a giant, ugly Christmas tree. Set up floodlights that flood the entire surface of your boat so there's no darkness of night to hide in.

And as I said, set up anything you have to leave on deck most of the time, like solar panels, with quick-release connections so you can easily stow them below.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:19   #142

Boat: 1968 Hinterhoel Redwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra
I'm with Alexandra. We need to track down the op and make him pay for being paranoid! That'll learn him.
Honestly the fact that you all are still debating the morality and legality of something that won't work makes me wonder why I read this forum. Must be the entertainment value. Doh!
Old 12-06-2013, 10:24   #143
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanathon View Post
I'm with Alexandra. We need to track down the op and make him pay for being paranoid! That'll learn him.
Honestly the fact that you all are still debating the morality and legality of something that won't work makes me wonder why I read this forum. Must be the entertainment value. Doh!

Actually we're trying to help an online friend who has a valid concern but a solution that could get him into a peck of trouble and land him in a foreign jail.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:00   #144
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Best damned boat alarm ever seen: On Crockett's sailboat in the original Miami Vice series. A gator named "Elvis", who had the roam of the cabin. (G)
Old 12-06-2013, 12:09   #145

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
Jedi is right. Reinforce your companionway and use your electrical skills to make your boat flash on and off (with obnoxious siren, etc.) like a giant, ugly Christmas tree. Set up floodlights that flood the entire surface of your boat so there's no darkness of night to hide in.

And as I said, set up anything you have to leave on deck most of the time, like solar panels, with quick-release connections so you can easily stow them below.
I second that vote, i think you people think too much and probably need to sail more and catch up with the friendly community that cruising evokes.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:15   #146

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48

Do you know what your best line of defense is? Don't be an *******, and engage the locals like they're real people. Because they are.

Really, if you think you have to electrify your lifelines you shouldn't go there. Until you grow up.
Old 12-06-2013, 14:56   #147

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Of course the majority locals are good people but its "paranoid" to try and convince oneself there are no bad people. Surrounded by good people alarms are good, alone on transit I don't think they'd be so impressive.
PS. If you're reading this for entertainment, the "Home Alone" movies have lots of good ideas for defending against determined attackers including Slocum tacks, fake gun blasts and electrified door knobs.
Old 12-06-2013, 15:12   #148
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

some of you are probably right ......................................... people are out to get YOU!
Old 21-06-2013, 11:36   #149
Zil

Down here we use fake marinas to lore cruisers in, than clean their wallets. Works 90% of the time.
Old 22-06-2013, 05:53   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
Down here we use fake marinas to lore cruisers in, than clean their wallets. Works 90% of the time.
The theives down here use diesel pumps. I guess you could taser them after they filled you up and before they got their hands on your credit card.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: