Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-11-2016, 05:20   #1

Boat: Hans Christian 33
Electrical wire issue with A/C

We have a Dometic A/C heater unit that is about 6 years old. We are currently at a new dock where the polarity is reversed (according to my panel). There isn't another box to connect to.

Our problem is that the hot wire for the compressor appears to be shorting and melting. When I first discovered it, it was about a few hours after connecting to the dock. It appeared to me that the connector or wire was corroded so I replaced both.

The A/C has been running fine for three days and I never noticed the wire heating up. This morning the compressor wasn't running again, and the wire has a burnt connector.

Can reverse polarity cause this or is it just not getting good enough contact on the compressor post?
ReMetau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 14:30   #2

Re: Electrical wire issue with A/C

While you may or may not have reverse polarity, I doubt it is the cause of the burned wire. It could however be an indication of a poor connection (usually in the shore power plugs & sockets) which may have contributed to the problem.

The issue at the compressor is almost certainly due to heat buildup and poor contact from the push on wiring terminals. Cut the wire back, re-terminate and try again.
boatbod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, electric, electrical