Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2019, 12:46   #1

Electrical Upgrade on Lagoon 42

We have hired a company to upgrade our 2 AGM lifeline 8D battery bank to 600ah of Relion LiFePO4 batteries.

Our boat is a 2017 Lagoon 42 that didn't have the generator option so it would have 2 water tanks. The dealer installed a Paguro 9000 to run the washer/dryer, aircon units, and 110v watermaker. I'm the second owner so I don't know much about that install except that everything works and looks/behaves like a factory install.

We have 1000w of solar and 800w of wind with the solar being controlled by Victron MPPT controllers. There are two Cristec battery chargers, one for the starter batteries and one for the house bank.

After speaking with the installer (ABCY electrian), he is suggesting we also replace our Marinco 2000 watt inverter and the Cristec chargers for a Victron 3000 Multiplus. Additionally, we would be installing a BMV-712 monitor and a color control gx.

I'm okay with this plan but I wanted to put it out to this group to get some non-biased input on the plan.

Here area a couple of my concerns:

1) Can the Multiplus also charge the two start batteries (that aren't lithium)? Should I keep the Cristec start charger?

2) It looks like the Multiplus works together with shore power and generator power. So, the installer will need to change the current shore power and generator wiring to make it go through the Victron?

3) The Cristec chargers are in one of the engine compartments right about the batteries. The Victron will be in a closet about 10 feet away from the batteries. Is this a concern for the battery cables?

4) On the A/C side of the panel, there are switches for the battery charger, and two for the outlets that we flip when we are running the generator. I'm assuming that these switches will no longer be used?

5) He is planning on moving the clothes washer to the inverter since the new one can handle it. He's also going to look into the watermaker. Does this sound right?

I'm meeting with the installer today and I plan on asking him all of these questions but I'm also hoping to get other opinions so I'm better educated.

We're just so used to our process of dealing with our current system that it seems foreign to us that we won't have to shutdown the PC, power off the inverter, start the generator, flip the outlet plug switch, and reboot the PC (for music/movies), every time we need to make water or do a load of laundry.

Thanks!
crayiii is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, electric, electrical, lagoon