Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2017, 10:28   #1

Electrical continuity help

Hello everyone... I have one question, i cant see why is this thing happening... The question is about 2 wires continuity, one from service batteries and other one from engine that are supposed to be separated by cyrix... I have had an engine battery drain problem alongside with the service batteries drain... So i decided to test cyrix which is giving me around 70k ohms from one side to another (without cables connected, only cyrix test)... The new one has the same resistance, so i think the cyrix is ok... So i decided to test continuity between + from the motor battery cable and + from the service battery cable (cables taken off from cyrix)... It gives me around 3 ohms! Ok, so i thought that something is not ok... I turned on the engine (with the cables from cyrix still taken off) and mesured votage, the engine battery cable is 14,3 and the service battery cable remains 12,8... So now it looks like they are separeted, like wtf? So i went on the 2 other hanse boats and the same thing happens when i measure continuity between motor battery cable + that goes on thy cyrix and service battery + that also go on the other pin of the cyrix! I measure 3-4 ohms... Where is that continuity come from, i just dont get it? Here is the schematic, if someone can explain this strange thing to me i would be greatfull? The measure is between cables marked with red arrows while they are separated from cyrix...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	123.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	187.0 KB
ID:	160315   Click image for larger version

Name:	456.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	160316  

GTI_16V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 11:12   #2
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Electrical continuity help

I usually love and recommend Victron products.

Cyrix is not one of them

This, is the bomb​ https://www.bluesea.com/products/762..._-_12V_DC_500A

Not implying this is the cause of your problem though.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 11:03   #3

You can't measure continuity on wires that contain power. Both ends need to be disconnected. You just put 12v into your tester and messed up its readings
smac999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 08:18   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
You can't measure continuity on wires that contain power. Both ends need to be disconnected. You just put 12v into your tester and messed up its readings
hmmm didn't know that... I will disconnect power next time... thank you
GTI_16V is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, electric, electrical