Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-07-2011, 16:47   #1

Electric Fuel Pump for Generator Refill

I have 2-70 gal gas tanks with an extra fitting on the tanks top in my engine compartment that is normally used for an optional marine gen, which my boat did not come with. I just bought a Honda 2000 gen and am thinking to mount a small Holley type electric fuel pump in the bilge on a bulkhead to pull from one of the tanks to fill a 1 gal gas can to refill the generator for convienence. Going to have a shut off valve right at the tank fitting before going to the pump, and then a cap at the end of the fuel hose for capping it off. I have a Blue Seas fuse block in the engine compartment to power the pump. I'm not sure what type of On-Off switch to use that's safe. Is there an ignition protected toggle type of switch available? Any suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks
US1Fountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2011, 16:58   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Re: Electric fuel pump for generator refill

A Google image search on "ignition protected switches" brings up many of them, mostly battery switches which are overkill but there are other lower amp switches available.

ignition protected switches - Google Search

One made by Blue Seas...
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...w=1403&bih=925

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2011, 21:24   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28
Re: Electric Fuel Pump for Generator Refill

Could you run a fuel line from the tank to where you run the generator? Buy an extended run fuel cap for your Honda: Amazon.com: HONDA Eu2000i GENERATOR EXTENDED RUN FUEL GAS CAP: Kitchen & Dining

Combined with some outboard fuel connections and a primer bulb you could run the Honda directly from the tank. No more messing with gas cans, cheaper and less danger than an electric fuel pump.
Old 20-07-2011, 04:23   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Carling “Contura*” switches are recognized to UL1500 ignition protection for marine products.
*Also as re-branded by Blue Seas, Ancor, Cole-Hersee, and etc.
http://www.carlingtech.com/pdf/CarlingSW_V2_3.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2011, 11:20   #5

Thanks!
I think a OFF-(ON) will be the ticket.

Followup question, Should I run a grounding wire from the electric pumps body to the tanks current grounding connection?

Running a 30' fuel line across the deck to where I will run the Gen doesn't appeal to me. Thought about a primer bulb at 1st, but thought it to be too slow.
US1Fountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2011, 11:58   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

The negative DC wire just might act as the ground. Check it with a continuity tester.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2011, 12:26   #7

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

I can see a couple of problems with this.

1. the 1 gal gas can will displace explosive vapors while being filled. 2. If you fail to turn off the electric pump, (in time) you will spill gas everywhere. 3. static buildup between main fuel tanks, and auxilary tank being filled, (most 1 gal tanks are plastic).

Your best bet is to store the fuel near the generator. The extended run fuel cap attached to a 5 gal can would give you a long run.

Just remember gas burns, in an enclosed space like a boat it explodes! The safest thing is to buy a water cooled marine generator professionally mounted and plumbed. Anything else will not be safe. Add a jury rigged fuel system and you cross the line to dangerous.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2011, 12:32   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Thirty feet from the tank to the genny across a deck wouldn't work. I was thinking it could be run inside until you got close to the generator and then come out through a bulkhead fitting for the short run to the genny. To bad, it would be nice not to have to refill the generator tank. With 70 gallons of fuel available you could run that thing non stop for three weeks!

If you did get that extended run fuel cap, you could run it off a 3 or 6 gallon outboard tank and save some trips down below to get more fuel.

I've heard varying run times for the 2000 Honda. I get about seven hours running my 5000 btu AC unit. I don't use the econo mode as it sounds like both the AC and genny strain when the compressor kicks in.

As for the ground wire, it might be smart to run one from the nozzle back to a ground to disapate static electricity. I don't know a lot about static electricity but I bet someone on this forum does.

I see Capt Bill beat me to the stactic problem and pointed out others as well.

Tags
electric, electric pump, fuel, fuel pump, generator