Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2012, 16:55   #61

Boat: private yacht always moving
Re: Electric fence for boat

Jeez, the mindset... I really find it impossible to decipher the paranoid.

there was an 78 years old women raped and her husband killed last week,,,,,,maybe you should wake up.......if he had a shotgun it might not have happened.

the world is changing

glad you have never had to experience it but why dont you talk to the 78 year old women who lived in a small town were people dont have to lock there doors,,, they do now
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 17:18   #62
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainKJ

why I carry a gun.........because I can't carry a cop

wake up Dave the world is a dangerous place,,, simple precautions might not be enough,,,hope you never find out the hard way
That's just it, the evidence suggests in general it's not. I'm more likely to get mugged on the way home from my local, then anyone is to be attacked on a yacht.

I won't rise to the gun debate, just to say that in my experience of living in the states , I have nothing to fear from the vast majority of gun owners there. Most would shoot their foot first.

The fact is there are a few obvious dangerous places , so rightly avoid them. If Belize is dangerous why go there. Otherwise it's heat and kitchen time. The other vista is an appalling one of rich ( comparitively ) westeners sailing in on their fortified boats. Actually I think they'd be justified in robbing you blind. Do you think it's reasonable to display your obvious riches amongst people who can hardly afford to eat.

By the way " westerners in fortified boats " has a name , it's called imperialism..

Dave
Old 10-04-2012, 17:24   #63

Dave,,,, you win the argument,,,the world is NOT a dangerous place,,,some of us are just paranoid i guess,,,most people in a third world country can not afford to eat,,,so when you show up in a 40,000 dollar sailboat you are a very rich person to them
Old 10-04-2012, 17:26   #64
Nearly an old salt

Quote:

there was an 78 years old women raped and her husband killed last week,,,,,,maybe you should wake up.......if he had a shotgun it might not have happened.

the world is changing

glad you have never had to experience it but why dont you talk to the 78 year old women who lived in a small town were people dont have to lock there doors,,, they do now
Bill do you read history. Such crimes are not new. The world always had danger, of course we have now got instant news.

For every tragic and horrific act I could quote acts of selflessness, is there a moral equivalence maybe not. But it serves to illustrate the nonsense behind you logic.

All through history wars have been stoked by " fear of foreigners" of horrendous tales of crime to. Convince people they were all about to be murdered in their beds. It's the same tactic ad your comments its then used to justify aberrant behaviour The oh my god argument.

Look there's loads of the world where you can sail in in your rich mans hobby. And be welcomed with open arms , high marinas costs, great but expensive food and a smattering of taxes to boot. You will be able to sleep soundly with the door opened albeit a little poorer. A sleep free of worry knowing that you got ripped off in the bright light of the day in an air conditioned office. Much better then worrying about the poor natives.

Dave
Old 10-04-2012, 17:29   #65

I'm more likely to get mugged on the way home from my local, then anyone is to be attacked on a yacht.

tell that to Muff and Mac that were sailing in the south pacific at Palmyra when they were killed.
Old 10-04-2012, 17:37   #66
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
I'm more likely to get mugged on the way home from my local, then anyone is to be attacked on a yacht.

tell that to Muff and Mac that were sailing in the south pacific at Palmyra when they were killed.
Jeepers that was in 1974. Maybe Abe Lincoln was shot on a boat too. The way you're telling it.

The Graphams were unfortunate to stumble across such nere-do-wells. But that tradegy is exactly like me bring attacked where I live, possible but unlikely. The chances of the vast majority of cruisers coming into contact with such mis fortune is very rare, probably more are lost of the stern peeing. Self castration Kj , that would remove that risk and prevent more deaths then an electric fence.

Dave
Old 10-04-2012, 17:39   #67

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
for god sake Bill , you really don't think like that do you. You must be convinced the worlds a bad place, I happen to think its a good place, and I stay away from the few nasty places. You don't need GPS for-ords, open your eyes and look around, most places on the water are safer then on land. Ive spent collectively years on boats. Ive never seen anything other then petty theft. hence I view the risks accordingly. Where I have visited very poor areas, where sometime the risk if theft is greater, I take simple precautions.

There day I have to take precautions like some people discuss there, the criminals can have the boat, cause I don't want to be sailing.

Sheeesh....

Dave

Dave,

From your posts there is no doubt you are paranoid about guns but all we are talking about here is the cheap garden variety agricultural electric fence.

Sheeesh.....

Electric Fence Australia - pet and farm electric fencing supplies
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 17:49   #68

Boat: Custom Freya 20m
Surely most of the philosophical discussion has been canvassed elsewhere on this forum.

I think the idea of a deterrent fence may have some minor use in some situations and may be less threatening than even thumb tacks on deck (which i would consider too hostile to deploy). And probably less messy than a guard dog (which is very popular on fishing boats here in Asia). Just a simple precaution like a secure companionway (which i have with the same rationale).

It would seem possible go have a fence with an active insulated wire and use the hull and sea as ground. Also possible to have an active wire with a separate ground wire. Anyone with experience of these on a boat? The hull as ground seems easier to deploy if it works.

Thanks for any technical contributions.
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 17:52   #69

Boat: PETERSON 44
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3039335852.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	39789

I really like the Tesla coil idea. If built into the mast you could put on one hell of a show in the harbor at night and no one is getting on a boat with a tesla coil flashing off.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 17:57   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Jeepers that was in 1974. Maybe Abe Lincoln was shot on a boat too. The way you're telling it.

The Graphams were unfortunate to stumble across such nere-do-wells. But that tradegy is exactly like me bring attacked where I live, possible but unlikely. The chances of the vast majority of cruisers coming into contact with such mis fortune is very rare, probably more are lost of the stern peeing. Self castration Kj , that would remove that risk and prevent more deaths then an electric fence.

Dave
talk about insulting,,,next you are go-in to tell me I have a small pee pee,,,,why would you leave an electric fence on when you are peeing off the back????maybe you would I would not,,,the fence only be used at night when you are sleeping.
Old 10-04-2012, 18:00   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray

I really like the Tesla coil idea. If built into the mast you could put on one hell of a show in the harbor at night and no one is getting on a boat with a tesla coil flashing off.
That pic looks fun - i reckon i could use that on the boat for Christmas and Chinese New Year. Equally sure any locals would consider it great entertainment and take delight in setting it off instead of the TV on Friday night. Not entirely sure it would help me sleep better though!
Old 10-04-2012, 18:01   #72

Quote:

Seriously though, can you give a brief description of how it works.
Old 10-04-2012, 18:02   #73

Boat: Mao Ta 38
Quote:

That's an awesome picture. Funny how on this forum we talk about conserving amps on one hand and then installing a 20000 volt tesla coil. I want one. I wonder how many golf cart batteries I would need to power that thing.
Sovereigndreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 18:21   #74

Having Googled the Tesla coil i reckon it could be a bit of useful fun on board. If people knew the boat had this sort of electrics I am sure it would give them pause before intruding because it would be sure to be hot wired in other ways . Much more useful than weaponry i reckon.
Old 10-04-2012, 18:29   #75
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

I wonder how it would go with the local authorities the first time some innocent boat boy or local looking to sell you something comes along side in the early morning while you are asleep, grabs your electric rail from their low freeboard vessel, gets shocked and falls in while hitting their head on the rail on the way in. Or even if its the thief you were trying to catch, good luck proving it if he falls in and drowns because you've shocked him! Could end very poorly. There are much better methods of security. Get a good dog for instance. At least then they have to actually board the boat unasked before bad things happen. Shocking people because they've just touched your boat is a bad idea, IMHO. Unsafe and unwise.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric