Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2012, 05:04   #46

Re: Electric fence for boat

Forget the electric fence, go with roll up tack mats. Nothing much will stop a full on robbery but for the opportunist thief a tack mat will deter.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:33   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
It's the current that can kill a person, not the voltage. As little as 0.1 ampere AC can kill.
0.1 ampere is 100 milliamps. Far less AC current than that can kill you. That's why GFCI receptacles are designed to trip at 5 milliamps of leakage current.

Eric
fairbank56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:26   #48
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

It depends on where the current flows through the body. For instance if the current enters through the fingers and out the elbow, not much damage is done. However if the current travels through the trunk, it messes with your heart - not good.

30 milliamps through your trunk (heart) is considered fatal and any amount over 15 milliamps (through the heart) is serious, possibly fatal.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:41   #49

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor

This might be my favorite thread since the can opener discussion.
Carry on.
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:44   #50

How about a "panic" room?
terminalcitygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:46   #51
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

better just keep the sheep on deck,the smell will scare away any wannabe borders......
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:48   #52
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
better just keep the sheep on deck,the smell will scare away any wannabe borders......
And that is what the E fence is for!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:28   #53

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I know of a couple of high profile cases of that happening, its an extremely rare circumstance and often has a back story to go with it.
Dave
Yes like having something someone else wants. Of the four incidents I'm familiar with only one was "possibly" precipitated by contact or purchase from the criminal element.

Quote:
when they get behind the wheel of a car ( perhaps I should electrify that )
Dave
If we are going to formalize the debate that would be classified as a strawman argument. The discussion is not are there ways to die, it is about there are people out there that wish to harm me, how can I deter them

Quote:
Sorry that this is a long way from electric fences, but I see these whole discussion as bordering on paranoia. Yes you need to be careful of your personal safety, keep belongings out of sight and take reasonable security precautions ( like locking the boat when you leave, etc). Outside of that why sail in areas where you feel the threat ( real or imagined) is greater then that.
Dave
Yes locking the boat works so well, (sarcasm). It didn't work for the 4 incidents under discussion. It has never worked. . My boat would be impossible to lock with any degree of resistance to either a hammer, or a crowbar, or even a good hard kick.

Quote:
Most "criminals" just want some of your stuff and then go. Its very rare that they are there just to cause you physical harm. So give them the stuff, its probably insured, more then likely its less then the sophisticated electric fence anyway.
Dave
If crime was just about stuff, it wouldn't be such a big deal. The fact is even petty theft is an act of violence, and violence inevitably enters the equation, as it requires force to unlawfully steal something, particularly if the owner is present.

Once apon a time maybe criminals had some conscience, or morals, but no more, they are no longer afraid to be caught of even the most heinous of crimes. The penalty of petty theft is the same as armed robbery, and murder, (a few years in jail). Beatings, rapes, torture, and murder, (to prevent witnesses), are now more common than simple wave a weapon, and hand over wallet robberies. Cooperation no longer insures you will escape an armed robbery unharmed, if it ever did.

Quote:
Like many have said, why go to a place where in reality any of this stuff is needed.
Dave
I'm still looking for paradise where there is a ZERO crime rate. If you find it Give me a GPS please.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 13:54   #54
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Still, not to go OT but mightn't it be simpler to put some grates or bars over the companionway and any other open hatches? You're secured inside, and sweeping the decks becomes a simpler exercise. That you have to plan for anyway, in case someone leaps the fence.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 14:03   #55

Boat: Sailboat

Standard install in South Africa. My question: who is being fenced in, or out?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20110903-01-blog.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	39781  
LeaseOnLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 14:13   #56

Boat: private yacht always moving

Quote:
but would it not invite the aussies to take a closer look at the good looking wool??
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 14:39   #57
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainKJ View Post
but would it not invite the aussies to take a closer look at the good looking wool??
aussies don't giva 4xxxx,its the kiwi's ya gotta watch..........
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 14:52   #58

Quote:
aussies don't giva 4xxxx,its the kiwi's ya gotta watch..........
knew it was one of you guys down under, over there, other side of the world. Here in the US of A it is the West Virginia's you have to watch out for. Just watch the movie Deliverance and you will see what I mean
Old 10-04-2012, 16:23   #59
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Yes locking the boat works so well, (sarcasm). It didn't work for the 4 incidents under discussion. It has never worked. . My boat would be impossible to lock with any degree of resistance to either a hammer, or a crowbar, or even a good hard kick.

If crime was just about stuff, it wouldn't be such a big deal. The fact is even petty theft is an act of violence, and violence inevitably enters the equation, as it requires force to unlawfully steal something, particularly if the owner is present.

Once apon a time maybe criminals had some conscience, or morals, but no more, they are no longer afraid to be caught of even the most heinous of crimes. The penalty of petty theft is the same as armed robbery, and murder, (a few years in jail). Beatings, rapes, torture, and murder, (to prevent witnesses), are now more common than simple wave a weapon, and hand over wallet robberies. Cooperation no longer insures you will escape an armed robbery unharmed, if it ever did.

I'm still looking for paradise where there is a ZERO crime rate. If you find it Give me a GPS please.

for god sake Bill , you really don't think like that do you. You must be convinced the worlds a bad place, I happen to think its a good place, and I stay away from the few nasty places. You don't need GPS for-ords, open your eyes and look around, most places on the water are safer then on land. Ive spent collectively years on boats. Ive never seen anything other then petty theft. hence I view the risks accordingly. Where I have visited very poor areas, where sometime the risk if theft is greater, I take simple precautions.

There day I have to take precautions like some people discuss there, the criminals can have the boat, cause I don't want to be sailing.

Sheeesh....

Dave

Jeez, the mindset... I really find it impossible to decipher the paranoid.
Old 10-04-2012, 16:49   #60

Quote:
for god sake Bill , you really don't think like that do you. You must be convinced the worlds a bad place, I happen to think its a good place, and I stay away from the few nasty places. You don't need GPS for-ords, open your eyes and look around, most places on the water are safer then on land. Ive spent collectively years on boats. Ive never seen anything other then petty theft. hence I view the risks accordingly. Where I have visited very poor areas, where sometime the risk if theft is greater, I take simple precautions.

There day I have to take precautions like some people discuss there, the criminals can have the boat, cause I don't want to be sailing.

Sheeesh....

Dave

Jeez, the mindset... I really find it impossible to decipher the paranoid.
why I carry a gun.........because I can't carry a cop

wake up Dave the world is a dangerous place,,, simple precautions might not be enough,,,hope you never find out the hard way

Tags
electric