Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2012, 16:47   #31

Boat: Leopard Catamaran
Re: Electric fence for boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
Maybe it is just that you made the mistake of peeing on 1 and it left a better impression on you.
I'm with cheechako, The electric fence I touched while running a roto-tiller shocked the BeeJ&^&* out of me.

Don't worry about grounds.

I'll tell you what.
I'll put one on MY boat, you can stand in an old wooden panga in ankle deep salt water on a hot sweaty day, and give it a try.

The real downside of ANY nonlethal defense, is it will only work ONE time.

The next night you will have a group of real pissed whomever tried to board the night before wearing rubber gloves, and carrying a set of old jumper cables to short out your defense.

But I'll bet you hear a yell, and a splash, followed by some new swear words in a foreign language the first couple times.

Yes they might just back off and pepper the boat.

The couples just attacked off Belize were attacked by 4 thugs of only one had an old revolver, the rest knives. After the attack which included a beating and repeated rapes, all aboard were shot at point blank range by the one pistol.

I personally think the're aim is much better a foot away, than shooting blindly into a big mostly empty boat. I carry epoxy onboard for the holes.

And if motivated I can fit my entire body into the engine space.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 16:55   #32
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
Probably about the time Unarmed cruisers in remote anchorages stop being boarded at night, and killed.
I know of a couple of high profile cases of that happening, its an extremely rare circumstance and often has a back story to go with it.

Two people were murdered in the town I live in past year, its a big place, I see no desire to place armed guards at every street corner. In the same way I fail to see such deterrents on a boat. Basic personal safety yes ( as in don't be an idiot), if the situation warrants more then that ( and on a regular basis) I simply don't want to be there. ( a desire a boat is particularly qualified to provide).

In my opinion most discussions ( here, at dinner tables etc) on this subject are a function of third party group fear. ( bill said that mary said that frank saw etc). Secondly there is the "fear of foreigners", they being anyone who isn't one of "us". Then there the Internet induced panic, where a single event or two is repeated around the world as if its happening everywhere and everyday. Result: the Ogh my god, everyones out to rape,kill,steal, injure me.

Then there is what I called the predicated extremists. The well "you would say that until its your wife/daughter etc being mugged/robbed raped". This of course is merely a debating tatic, since I have no intention of consciously putting either of them in such harms way. But of course no more when I let them walk about our town, I can't protect them from unusual situations ( the when your times up your times up, philosophy), or when they get behind the wheel of a car ( perhaps I should electrify that )

Sorry that this is a long way from electric fences, but I see these whole discussion as bordering on paranoia. Yes you need to be careful of your personal safety, keep belongings out of sight and take reasonable security precautions ( like locking the boat when you leave, etc). Outside of that why sail in areas where you feel the treat ( real or imagined) is greater then that.

Ive been burgled at home several times over 27 years ( mind you the last time it was three days before we realized given the state of the daughters bedroom). Most "criminals" just want some of your stuff and then go. Its very rare that they are there just to cause you physical harm. So give them the stuff, its probably insured, more then likely its less then the sophisticated electric fence anyway.

Like many have said, why go to a place where in reality any of this stuff is needed.

Dave
Old 09-04-2012, 17:29   #33

Boat: private yacht always moving

electric fence all the way,,,i have thought of that myself. turn it on at night and off when not needed. Might be able to use the safety cable around the boat if it is properly grounded.

Pirates attack Canadians in Honduran waters

Belize News - Belize Leading Newspaper | Breaking News - Amandala Online
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 18:04   #34
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainKJ View Post
electric fence all the way,,,i have thought of that myself. turn it on at night and off when not needed. Might be able to use the safety cable around the boat if it is properly grounded.

Pirates attack Canadians in Honduran waters

Belize News - Belize Leading Newspaper | Breaking News - Amandala Online
yes nearly a year and a half ago, Dec 2010. reported widely at the time.
Old 09-04-2012, 18:49   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
explain the reason?

Dave
Humans have capacitance, as I said earlier.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 18:54   #36

Boat: Columbia 45 / Iroquois 30

How about a fast spin up hi frequency tesla coil. I was thiking at a minimum an isolated steel companion way hatch rigged to a tazer coil. hit a button it spins, id go with a metal grate on the deck as well.
sushirama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 18:55   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
Would that not have a detrimental effect on one's own and nearby boats' zincs?
No, zincs are decayed by stray DC currents over time and in close proximity to the source. Electric fences are AC, which would have no effect, even if somehow partially rectified, would still have no effect over the kind of distance and time that boats are separated from each other in an anchorage.

Even if they were DC, the current has already reached earth before it has any chance to make a pathway to another boats anodes.

Old 09-04-2012, 18:58   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
Would that not have a detrimental effect on one's own and nearby boats' zincs?
No, zincs are decayed by stray DC currents over time and in close proximity to the source. Electric fences are AC, which would have no effect, even if partially rectified, would still have no effect over the kind of distance and time that boats are separated from each other in an anchorage. Maybe if the boats were right next to each other and were in the same electromagnetic field in the water then it might be a problem

Old 09-04-2012, 19:18   #39

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
just bear in mind the legal consequences. your boat is NOT legally your home, it is a means of transportation, many have the right to board it.
maybe not in Australia

Quote:
Your home and the pension
There is a different asset test for homeowners and non-home owners. If you are retired your major asset may be the home you live in. Centrelink does not count your home as an asset if it is your “principal place of residence” – any residence you occupy or in which you have an interest or the right to occupy. This can include a granny flat, caravan, motor home or houseboat. Your principal place of residence is regarded as an “exempt asset”.
Changing your accommodation arrangements? Will it affect your pension? - Legal Aid NSW
Quote:
Dwelling Structure (STRD)

This variable classifies the structure of private dwellings enumerated in the Census. The information is determined by the Census collector.

The broad categories are:
<snip>
Caravan, cabin, houseboat: This category includes all occupied caravans, cabins and houseboats regardless of location. It also includes occupied campervans, mobile houses and small boats. Separate houses in caravan/residential parks or marinas occupied by managers are not included in this category.

2901.0 - Census Dictionary, 2011
Old 09-04-2012, 19:43   #40

Boat: Union Polaris cutter, 36'

This old farm kid thinks this is an awesome idea! I once thought of hooking one up to my 67 cougar to keep the neighbors cat off of it. Wife's a cat lover and veto'd the idea. If you try it I'd love to know how it works
ovrmyhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 19:55   #41
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do
maybe not in Australia
All you mentioned concerned either pension entitlements or census. That's different. Your land home cettainly in most developed countries is afforded certain rights. A boat is a means of transport and is subject to different rights. Any closer examination of the laws will reveal it do.

Dave
Old 09-04-2012, 21:07   #42

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Are sturdy tacks painted the same colour as the anti-skid right out?

Because that was Slocum's greatest idea, in my view.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:11   #43

Boat: Custom Freya 20m

Thanks for the contribution. I will not bother with the philosophical issues raised - to each his/her own. Suffice to say that I live in Hong Kong and Asia and North Pacific is my cruising ground so expect some minor issues. I can see leaving the boat at times, sleeping while short-handed and other mildly vulnerable situations. I really am not into the hyper anxiety attitude.

So, the main technical issue would seem to be to establish a good ground. Having a steel boat this probably happens automatically to some extent if I can insulate my lifelines from the staunchions and pushpit/pulpit.

Asia has a significant issue with lightning/thunderstorms so I had been planning on having lightning grounds anyway so that may serve dual purpose. Maybe a GRP boat could hang a copper wire overboard to achieve a ground?

I know that electric fences do not always work well even on a farm because of the poor grounding/flow so accept that may have similar issues on a boat. Equally I have seen animals fatally shocked after being caught in a really hot electric fence so some care required to keep it simply a deterrent. Can anyone offer advice as to what would likely constitute a maximum safe voltage for such a fence.

Thank again for the input
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:22   #44
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Quote:
Can anyone offer advice as to what would likely constitute a maximum safe voltage for such a fence.
It's the current that can kill a person, not the voltage. As little as 0.1 ampere AC can kill.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:52   #45

Boat: Custom Freya 20m

Of course, not thinking. So is there a safe current for a normal person without a pacemaker?
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric