Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2018, 09:05   #1

Elci question

i am hooking up shore power to an elci main A/C distribution panel. I keep losing volts when i do though. I have 110 volts coming into circuit, but once i connect the elci, it only outputs 60-80 volts to the bus bar. Is this normal or am i missing something.

for what its worth, i have shore power plugged into smart power plug, running directly to distribution panel at this point. the inverter/charger is not in the current equation.

thanks to all the sparky's that help with this.
Scottstef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2018, 09:09   #2

Re: Elci question

Defiantly not normal... do you still have 110 at the input? After it's connected. Or does everything drop? Could be an issue at cord, dock etc. Dropping with a load.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2018, 14:27   #3

Yes it drops at input. I will check a couple of other plugs.
Scottstef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2018, 15:04   #4

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Feel your shore power cable, and end connectors for heat, while you have a load connected.

Open all breakers so there is no current through the board. Check voltage at your new shore power breaker input and output. Do the same with everything on the boat turned on... lights, fans, reefer, radios, everything. Test and reset the shore power breaker and do all that testing again. This may well narrow down the search for the fault.

Double check your connections and make sure you have the 120v hot leg going where it is supposed to go, and the 120v neutral leg going where it is supposed to go. And the ground going where it is supposed to go. Is there a chance that you switched neutral with ground?

Your voltmeter is set to AC Volts, right?

Does stuff seem to run okay? Plug in a blender or something for just a second or two and see what happens.

If you have a high resistance somewhere, it will cause a voltage drop, and the high resistance will dissapate heat. You don't want that. More current = more heat. Too much heat and insulation melts or burns and you get a short. Boooo, shorts.

Did you also by chance install an isolation transformer?