Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2015, 22:00   #31

Boat: Kaufman 47
Re: ELCI breakers, anyone have them?

I thought I had a grasp on this but the further I get into this the more I get lost. It's going to eventually click.... Maybe (:

- Ronnie...on the geaux
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2015, 22:29   #32

the inverter will have in and out hots and Netrauls. the N's need to be separated between invertor and non invertor loads.

on #1. add inverter breaker to ac panel, that feeds inverter. the output you have looks find.

and 2nd N bus. for inverter output, and plugs.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2015, 22:46   #33
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailRedemption View Post
.....not sure how to isolate the shore feed from inverter feed on the panel to only do outlets...

- Ronnie...on the geaux
It's not that hard. On a normal Blue Seas panel there are 2 short jumpers from the double main breaker. The one from the neutral breaker goes to the neutral bus. That is the upper one in the diagram below. The other jumper goes from the second breaker(hot) to the solid connector that feeds each 15 amp breaker below. My suggestion earlier was to remove both jumpers, wire from the main breaker to the inverter and the inverter output returning to the neutral and hot buses on the panel. To further isolate the water heater you remove the solid connector from the row of breakers and cut one breaker distance off. I would do this at the top making the first 15 amp breaker for the water heater. Then add a small jumper from the hot main breaker to the first breaker down for the water heater. The neutral for the water heater comes from the top neutral main breaker. This keeps both hot and neutral going to the inverter separate from its hot and neutral outputs. It allows the water heater to run only on shore power.

You will have to change out the main 30 amp double pole breaker anyway as your shore power connection will be 50 amps.

This diagram is from a different panel but except for the meters your panel will be the same.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AC.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	102714  
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 05:13   #34

Boat: Beneteau 393

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailRedemption View Post
I don't know why it would be on there.. I guess if I need hot water away from the dock I could start the engine... I could leave it out and just use the inverter for the outlets.

Glad to hear I chose a good panel. I will have a battery monitor, BMV702. I agree they are redundant, but I can't opt of of them for anything else. Easy to glance at without having to hit any buttons.

OK, I'll try to understand what your saying.. Here is a crude diagram (#1) how I think you have it..

And #2 is how I felt it should be.. But not sure how to isolate the shore feed from inverter feed on the panel to only do outlets.. Attachment 102712Attachment 102713

- Ronnie...on the geaux
Hi Ronnie,

I wired my boat like your diagram number #2, although I don't have a secondary battery charger, which I assume that bottom breaker is for. Your charger/inverter will be fed from upstream of the panel, so no need to have a breaker there for the charger portion if that is what you were thinking there. When running the inverter, I just make sure to throw the water heater breaker off. Then, only the outlets are powered by the inverter. Here's the ELCI I used:

https://www.bluesea.com/products/311..._ELCI_30A_Dual

I have (2) 30-amp circuits on my boat (one 30A circuit for air conditioning, and one for everything else), but they do make one for a single 30A circuit. This box is sweet since it is set-up and ready for you to install a GI. I also like that it is water resistant since it is in my stbd lazerette.

Frank
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 07:10   #35

Boat: Cal 31, 31.5'

SailRedemption, I have GFCIs on my boat and would have an ELCI if I could afford it. The price will come down.

I did a lot of study on ELCIs and GFCIs and had several very good email discussions with Beth Leonard at Boat U.S. Beth said Boat U.S. was going to do an update article on this equipment. I would contact her to get advice.

I can tell you that some of the posts on this subject are consistent with what Beth told me and some are complete misunderstandings of the subject. Not surprising since the topic is not well understood my many who own boats.

Get professional advice. I would not trust the forum on this one.
Cal31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2015, 09:23   #36
Marine Service Provider

Which information do you think to be incorrect?
Old 27-05-2015, 16:15   #37

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

I thought someone might appreciate this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ELCI.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	393.9 KB
ID:	102801

This is the aforementioned Blue Seas 30A ELCI, mounted in a Carlon E987N junction box from Home Depot, with 2 cable glands on the back [purchased separately, I drilled holes - no pop-outs on this box] and the 4 mounting feet cut off (I will be side-mounting to a bulkhead). It was pretty easy to make the cutout and countersink the 6 screws.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2015, 16:18   #38
Marine Service Provider

Looks good and for a reasonable price as well.
Old 29-05-2015, 03:13   #39

Boat: Kaufman 47

Looks good Greg, I am ordering a breaker only and going the similar route as you did with the home brew box.

- Ronnie...on the geaux
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2015, 04:13   #40
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal31 View Post
I can tell you that some of the posts on this subject are consistent with what Beth told me and some are complete misunderstandings of the subject. Not surprising since the topic is not well understood my many who own boats.

Get professional advice. I would not trust the forum on this one.

Can you elaborate?

As far as I know Beth is not a marine electrician yet some who've posted in this thread actually are marine electricians. Yes there are some holes that could be filled in but some who've posted here certainly understand the subject..

Please don't hit & run us, tell use what information has been presented that is a misunderstanding..