Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2019, 17:26   #1
Registered User
 
rsn48's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island, BC
Boat: 1969 29 Grenfell Express Cruiser design
Posts: 680
Efoy video (methanol fuel cell)

Jeff Cote of Pacific Yachting Systems has released this video covering Efoy, comparing it to solar, and discussing when each is best. I feel in the Pacific Northwest if you boat a lot out of season you should consider Efoy first, solar second. Most here reverse that proposition - solar first then Efoy - but off season we get lots of clouds here, as I stare at clouds right now.

Anyway, a good video and a good intro for those curious or thinking of going to a methanol fuel cells system:

__________________

rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 17:35   #2
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2016
Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46
Posts: 422
Re: Efoy video (methanol fuel cell)

I looked at Efoy. Cool system. But the methanol cartridge prices were not economically feasible for me. At the time.
Razors and razor blades I think.
Look at the installed system cost. Look at maintenance costs. Look at disposable costs. All based on YOUR usage patterns.
Didnít work for me, may work very well for others.
__________________

dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 17:55   #3
Moderator
 
a64pilot's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Albany Ga.
Boat: Island Packet 38
Posts: 26,027
Re: Efoy video (methanol fuel cell)

I also believe the output is rather low.
Tough to beat a Honda
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2019, 16:34   #4
Registered User
 
rgleason's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Boston, MA
Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Posts: 13,290
Re: Efoy video (methanol fuel cell)

Efoy has the following advantages, quiet and can run continuously in the the background. Lower installed cost than solar by quite a bit.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2019, 17:20   #5
Moderator
 
a64pilot's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Albany Ga.
Boat: Island Packet 38
Posts: 26,027
Re: Efoy video (methanol fuel cell)

Donít get me wrong, I believe that fuel cells will be the future, and they will likely in my opinion enable even electric propulsion, when fuel cells get scaled up and mainstream, we will finally get that electric boat that you can run the airconditioner on all the time just like you were on shorepower etc.

Just not yet, one day though, I believe.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2019, 09:13   #6
Registered User
 
phantomracer's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Boston, MA
Boat: 1968 Ohlson 38 Sloop
Posts: 852
Images: 9
Send a message via Yahoo to phantomracer
Re: Efoy video (methanol fuel cell)

Been using an EFOY for years. Works great! No gasoline onboard (boom factor). quiet, no CO output (just some water and heat and some co2) . It is more like a solar panel than a generator.

It is a methanol powered battery charger. They explain it as one refill is like carrying a pallet of batteries with you! Being able to charge at 6 amps or so is nice not having to worry about weather and needing a baseball field size of solar panels to do it!

I have no place for solar (which works poorly at night) and certainly no place to store a generator and extra gasoline.

Works for me, but it surely isnt for everyone.
__________________
Paul S
Blog - https://www.facebook.com/ohlson38project
website http://www.mildredrose.com
phantomracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2019, 12:23   #7
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Posts: 291
Re: Efoy video (methanol fuel cell)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomracer View Post
Been using an EFOY for years. Works great! No gasoline onboard (boom factor). quiet, no CO output (just some water and heat and some co2) . It is more like a solar panel than a generator.

It is a methanol powered battery charger. They explain it as one refill is like carrying a pallet of batteries with you! Being able to charge at 6 amps or so is nice not having to worry about weather and needing a baseball field size of solar panels to do it!

I have no place for solar (which works poorly at night) and certainly no place to store a generator and extra gasoline.

Works for me, but it surely isnt for everyone.
no gas to go boom, but I think methanol is pretty flammable
Pete17C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2019, 13:04   #8
Registered User
 
rgleason's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Boston, MA
Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Posts: 13,290
Re: Efoy video (methanol fuel cell)

I am not so sure about lower installed xost than solar as I have changed my approach to solar and think solar costs have come down, but the 80i Efot is still $3000+. If it were half that cost it might be worthwhile IMHO.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2019, 13:47   #9
Moderator
 
a64pilot's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Albany Ga.
Boat: Island Packet 38
Posts: 26,027
Re: Efoy video (methanol fuel cell)

Itís the 6 amps that gets me. Iíd have to have at least two, but likely three.
An Efoy puts out about 80 Watts I believe.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2019, 14:22   #10
Registered User
 
rgleason's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Boston, MA
Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Posts: 13,290
Re: Efoy video (methanol fuel cell)

It certainly would be simpler than adding solar, new alt, and new batteries and I could live with 80w◊24=1920w. 1920w/12= 160ah.

I suppose I wouldnt have to do anything else! Might be worthwhile!
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2019, 14:51   #11
Moderator
 
a64pilot's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Albany Ga.
Boat: Island Packet 38
Posts: 26,027
Re: Efoy video (methanol fuel cell)

The 80 was just a swag, and your math is a little off.
AH varies of course depending on what voltage you use, itís why I wish we would use Watts cause Amps and Amp Hours leaves too much room for a marketing depts to be creative.

However find out how much Efoy fuel costs and how it has to be procured, and how long it lasts.
I have no idea but suspicion that itís not hardware store alcohol.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2019, 15:24   #12
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Becalmed in the Med
Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35
Posts: 1,105
Re: Efoy video (methanol fuel cell)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsn48 View Post
Jeff Cote of Pacific Yachting Systems has released this video covering Efoy, comparing it to solar, and discussing when each is best. I feel in the Pacific Northwest if you boat a lot out of season you should consider Efoy first, solar second. Most here reverse that proposition - solar first then Efoy - but off season we get lots of clouds here, as I stare at clouds right now.

Anyway, a good video and a good intro for those curious or thinking of going to a methanol fuel cells system:
Seen a few of his videos. He's always banging on about fuel cells and firefly batteries. Not that their is anything wrong with those, but he's a bit too evangelical about them. Otherwise his stuff is a good watch.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2019, 18:24   #13
Registered User
 
rgleason's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Boston, MA
Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Posts: 13,290
Re: Efoy video (methanol fuel cell)

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
The 80 was just a swag, and your math is a little off.
AH varies of course depending on what voltage you use, itís why I wish we would use Watts cause Amps and Amp Hours leaves too much room for a marketing depts to be creative.

However find out how much Efoy fuel costs and how it has to be procured, and how long it lasts. I have no idea but suspicion that itís not hardware store alcohol.

Sure, about watts is good, but I know ah in 12v.
--->Efoy Comfort 80 (40 W)

40w x 24hr = 960w/day 960/12v = 80ah/day


Fuel is costly, you won't like that at all. Not your answer I think.

(2x80 is 160ah) Math is fine.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2019, 18:37   #14
Moderator
 
a64pilot's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Albany Ga.
Boat: Island Packet 38
Posts: 26,027
Efoy video (methanol fuel cell)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Sure, about watts is good, but I know ah in 12v.
--->Efoy Comfort 80 (40 W)

40w x 24hr = 960w/day 960/12v = 80ah/day


Fuel is costly, you won't like that at all. Not your answer I think.

(2x80 is 160ah) Math is fine.


Math works as long as you use 12V, but most of us consider batteries dead at that voltage, and charge at higher voltages, say 14V.
That changes the math significantly.

However if the industry used wattage, then voltage is irrelevant.

What I donít know is does my battery monitor correct for voltage? Or is an AH at 14V just more power than an AH at 12V?
Iíd be surprised if it corrects.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2019, 20:27   #15
Registered User
 
phantomracer's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Boston, MA
Boat: 1968 Ohlson 38 Sloop
Posts: 852
Images: 9
Send a message via Yahoo to phantomracer
Re: Efoy video (methanol fuel cell)

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Itís the 6 amps that gets me. Iíd have to have at least two, but likely three.
An Efoy puts out about 80 Watts I believe.
They have several models. Yes you can have more than one unit in a system. The model 210 puts out almost 9amps / 210ah/day, albeit, at $3k more than the 80, which is almost 3x the power of the 80.

The charging profile is very flexible and easy to adjust depending on the battery system installed and charging profile you want.

It is not the cheapest solution. It is, however, a good augment for solar, especially if you do have high power demands, and the real estate on the boat for solar/wind. It would make a good backup for those cloudy and wind-less days. If you have a high power demand, the fuel can get expensive and hard to find cruising.

Stupid easy to install. For a simple electrical system like on my boat (12v only. refrigerator as the only real high draw device), it is a good choice. Don't have the real estate on deck for solar (or care for the look of it)

In my case, it is out of sight, out of mind. below deck in a locker. 2 wire hook up. Hardest thing I had to do was cut a shelf for the unit to mount in the locker!

I am sure the newer units are more efficient than my older model.

Again, not for everyone, but it is a nice niche product that works well for it's intended purpose.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140215_133130.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	400.3 KB
ID:	196879   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140315_142209.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	405.2 KB
ID:	196880  

__________________

__________________
Paul S
Blog - https://www.facebook.com/ohlson38project
website http://www.mildredrose.com
phantomracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
fuel, fuel cell

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Efoy canisters & upgrade forum title rsn48 Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar 0 23-04-2019 11:11
International Cell Phone Hack - no cell phone minutes or texts bill, just data... skipgundlach Our Community 14 21-03-2016 16:33
Anyone out there with EFOY Fuel Cell Experience? Jimholden Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar 6 04-02-2016 16:44
Diesel Fuel Tank vs Portable Diesel Fuel Cell GaryMayo Engines and Propulsion Systems 11 13-11-2012 15:47



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 21:49.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.