Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2014, 09:34   #1

dual battery chargers

I have 2 battery chargers on board 1 12 amp promariner with dual outputs for the start battery and 1 Charles marine 30 amp for the house bank. Can I put one set of leads from the promariner onto the house bank as well as the Charles charger. Thoughts are when I'm anchored out my little Honda 2000 gen recharges my batteries wouldn't this charge my house bank faster. Thanks
davevancat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2014, 10:30   #2
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: dual battery chargers

Yes in bulk mode charging., both chargers will contribute current to the charging process. You will find that later in the charge cycle, only one charger is really working.

Dave
Old 23-06-2014, 11:14   #3

Thanks that's all I really wanted was to help load up the batteries a little quicker. If my thinking is correct this should give me 42 amps charging during the bulk phase at least help charge a little quicker.
davevancat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2014, 11:26   #4
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by davevancat View Post
Thanks that's all I really wanted was to help load up the batteries a little quicker. If my thinking is correct this should give me 42 amps charging during the bulk phase at least help charge a little quicker.
Yes you mightn't get exactly the addition of the rated output of the chargers, but reasonably close.

Note don't install the chargers close together. The other things is that cheap an nasty chargers can sometimes not have there switched mode properly compensated and can get unstable with another switched mode supply on the same circuit.

The solution is small series resistance in each chargers lead.

but I'd just try them

dave
Old 29-06-2014, 17:24   #5

I beg to differ. One of the chargers will charge at a slightly higher voltage than the other, and that will tell the lower voltage one that the batteries are fully charged, and it will shut down.
Rick R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2014, 17:49   #6
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davevancat View Post
It is easy to do a dock test as I did with my 50A & 70A chargers (@24v)
I let the bank draw down 65% and shut off all DC consumers.

Also all AC consumers so I could measure the efficiency of the different chargers combined and individually.

By measuring charge rates thru the Bulk range and into Absorbtion while logging the difference combined and individually I was then able to identify when to turn the 2nd charger off.

Repeated test 3 times to confirm results and made a nice spreadsheet for future checks of house bank condition.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, charger